Hardware CRT TV vs HD TV

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have a CRT TV at the moment, and I was wondering if the graphics would get better with a FullHD TV or not?
I have a Wii with the normal cables, so the red, white and yellow cables.

I have also ready a lot of component cables, and that would make the graphics look better. Is that on a CRT TV or on a FullHD TV?
I don't suppose those cables are delivered in your box from your Wii?

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Component connection makes the picture that more crisper for me, when I compare it to composite, which is more fuzzy and the colours a bit more washed. Just don't expect a massive difference, there is a small bit.

As far as I know LCD tvs have component and not CRTs. You don't need a full HDTV (1080p) to get component anyway. 720p should do also. It's not like the Wii outputs that high even with component anyway. It's 420p or something like that.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Satangel said:
I have a CRT TV at the moment, and I was wondering if the graphics would get better with a FullHD TV or not?
I have a Wii with the normal cables, so the red, white and yellow cables.

I have also ready a lot of component cables, and that would make the graphics look better. Is that on a CRT TV or on a FullHD TV?
I don't suppose those cables are delivered in your box from your Wii?
Although Wii isn't HD, a non-CRT TV is probably better, as CRT monitors can damage your eyes after looking at them for a long time.
blink.gif

You might notice some graphic improvement, but it probably won't be much.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I came from CRT to rear projector to LCD and there are definite improvements on quality and sharpness in the LCD. I have a 40" LCD with Wii component cable and the overall quality of the picture is miles better than SCART. The Wii spits out 480p or 576i I believe.

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Satangel said:
So if I buy a FullHD TV, I have to buy the Wii component cables to see a notable difference?
Okay, that's all I needed to know.

You don't have to buy anything. My old 27" CRT had Component input, and my new 52" LCD has Composite inputs. Most newer TV's have all the latest inputs, so you shouldn't feel obligated to go and buy Component cables just because. But its recommended
rolleyes.gif
, the difference on an LCD between Component and Composite is pretty noticable. Besides, 3rd Party component cables for the Wii are cheap, worth it in my opinion.

blank.gif

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Eddie_Brock said:
Satangel said:
So if I buy a FullHD TV, I have to buy the Wii component cables to see a notable difference?
Okay, that's all I needed to know.

You don't have to buy anything. My old 27" CRT had Component input, and my new 52" LCD has Composite inputs. Most newer TV's have all the latest inputs, so you shouldn't feel obligated to go and buy Component cables just because. But its recommended
rolleyes.gif
, the difference on an LCD between Component and Composite is pretty noticable. Besides, 3rd Party component cables for the Wii are cheap, worth it in my opinion.

blank.gif

A new TV isn't going to be for tomorrow either, the old one has to be broken first.
That will probably take a long time, so I'm not buying a HD TV anytime soon.

I've done some research, and it indeed seems there are some 3rd party component cables that offer the same kinda quality like the official cables for a much smaller price.
I'll keep that in mind.

Sabri23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Some HD tv's has Dynapix / picture management / color management to make the quality better . Because the wii isn't HD and the graphics aren't that great , you won't see a big diffrence . A friend of mine has a small samsung CRT tv and a FULL hd tv when he play's wii games , and a big diffrence you wouldn't see .

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think you are a little confused on what CRT and LCD actually mean as far as HD goes.

You can have a Cathode Ray Tube television that is HD. My last TV was a Sony KD34XBR970, which was a 34" CRT HDTV. Native resolution of 1080i. It had HDMI and component inputs. My bedroom TV is a 27" Sony WEGA that is capable of displaying 480P through component inputs. CRT HDTVs are uncommon, but whether a TV is LCD or CRT has no bearing on if it is HD or not.

The best the Wii can do is output 480P over component. It is an extremely low resolution. 640x480. The Wii isn't even capable of EDTV which is widescreen 480P at 720x480. So you might say, that's not true, the Wii is widescreen. Well it is an it isn't. What the Wii does is spoof widescreen. It displays 640x480 but 'squashes' the image so that when you display it in widescreen mode on you TV, it appears to be true widescreen. If your TV displays what resolution the source is (like mine) you can see this.

I have a 46" Sony KDL46Z5100 which is a 1080P (1920 x 1080) native set. This is what's usually referred to as 'Full HD'. Cheaper TV's may only be able to display 720P (1280x720), however, most of the lower priced TVs that are advertised at 720P actually use panels that have a native resolution of 1366x768. So if all you want is to make your Wii look as good as possible, you only need to buy one of the cheaper 1366x768 panels. Of course if you are spending money anyway, may as well go for a FULLHD set and grab a PS3.
smile.gif

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although bumping a bit older topic.

Component did come on SDTV's. I have a 27" Sharp SDTV CRT with 480I input which I got around 2007.

Component works with 480I/480P/720P/1080I and even 1080P although most TVs and HD content make you use HDMI/DVI so that HD copyright protection can (HDCP) can be used.

Within Component's design it will split both Red/Blue from the original video signal and green is automatically calculated with the difference. This will reproduce a sharper and more vivid connection than Composite and S-Video. S-Video splits your main video black+white picture (luminance) from the color (chroma) but S-video is limited to 480I signal. Composite is all together and generally look blurry or softer as some would say.

So even on a SDTV (CRT/LCD) that has component inputs still will look alot better than using Composite. And marginally better than S-video with a Wii.

Now with certain games on the Wii that are presented in 16x9 format will benefit more on a 16x9 ED/HDTV, where not many CRT sets were release in 16x9 format. Most CRT's are 4x3 format and then those Wii games will have black bars on top and bottom of the screen. Games like New Super Mario Bro. Wii, Metroid Trilogy are 16x9.

In the end of all this. If your TV takes component or even S-video. get those cables as needed and move away from Composite.

I use 2 AV switch boxes that have 4 inputs each for my SDTV.
1 box has all S-video, the 2nd box is all Component.

Box 1 (s-video):
SNES
Sega Genesis 2 (modded for s-video)
N64
GameCube

Box 2 (component):
PS2
DVD
Wii

This way the TV always will have a great picture!! I still prefer it to many of the HD sets I see these days!

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I f you want to enable 480p on the Wii, you MUST get component cable, that hasn't being made clear by anybody so far ( everybody seem to discuss the quality ).
The Wii simply would not output his 480p signal if there are no component cables connected, regardless of the TV you use.
Somebody wrote that the Wii supports at the most 640x480 in 480p and then it " 'squashes' the image so that when you display it in widescreen mode on you TV, it appears to be true widescreen", well I don't know where they got this information, but it's wrong.
The Wii outputs an anamorphic widescreen resolution, 854x480, however some games don't.
In fact some early ubisoft games that's what they do, use a 4:3 resolution and then ' sqashes ' in order to fake a widescreen res so that when you set your TV in widescren you see the correct aspect ratio, but:
  • You can always tell when this happens because the pixels them self are stretched thus larger than they should.
  • If you are not sure and don't believe me press the ' home button " on your Wii remote and you'll see that even the home menu on your Wii is stretched, and that is the definitive proof that the image is in fact 640x480 and squashed.
When you get reset your Wii and get into the channels page, you see the correct resolution again ( provided that you set your Wii to output in 480p, widescreen on and use componenet cables.
That alone, is reason enough to stay away from composite or s-video cables and use component (if it's available ) , I just wanted to point that out.
And the Wii is fully capable of EDTV, which is far from HD 1080p, but still looks pretty decent on one of those aforementioned 720p LCD TVs.
That said, even though I have an HD TV , I would actually love to have an SD TV as well , for all the virtual console games of course ( they look extremely pixelated on today's TVs ) and there are a few Wiiware and full games that sadly only output at 480i, making them laggy and ugly on HD TVs ( and totally unacceptable for me...)

rolandpibb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Arm73 said:
and there are a few Wiiware and full games that sadly only output at 480i, making them laggy and ugly on HD TVs ( and totally unacceptable for me...)

Not on all HD/EDTVs. It depends on the internal upscaler, some TVs have better ones than others. Or you could always buy an external upscaler.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ET4pF4XcvUU?si=kDfZWTQ8q0ayUtvO lol Michael Mathers