Not open for further replies.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Since there is no 3ds "lite" out right now, if I were on the design team i would focus on shrinking the pcb and if it can't be done then I would focus more on making a design that would wrap around the back of the 3ds and sit somewhat snug against the back. You wouldn't be able to dock the system like that, but then again you have a flashcart
Precisely, that's a really good approach.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
there is no reason to dispute nor confirm its existence
Honestly this situation's halfway laughable.
It's like if I posted a cat and people got all "Well there's no proof the cat exists".

The vast majority of the doubters are newbies who had some R4/TT-variant as their first flash cart, so they don't know the old ways or how the development progresses.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's like if I posted a cat and people got all "Well there's no proof the cat exists".

The vast majority of the doubters are newbies who had some R4/TT-variant as their first flash cart, so they don't know the old ways or how the development progresses.

Well regardless of whether crown3ds comes out or not, the hacking scene seems to be moving forward. I was taking a look at neimod's tools and while somewhat vague and missing some context, I have an idea as to exactly what he's doing and he will probably be one of the big names once the 3ds security is finally cracked

But seriously, thank goodness I can be pleased with one game for long periods of time. Mario Kart 7 will keep me entertained for quite awhile (months and months)

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's not necessarily for that reason (actually for some people it is lol). It's possible that these Crown3DS guys could have just (with trial and error) soldered a retail Splinter Cell 3D onto the back of their FPGA device, and the back is deliberately not shown.
I may have forgotten the direct NES clones (my apologies; it's been a long while) but I know it's possible to do what the Crown3DS developers are doing, it's just they hardly showed any evidence.
They should show reflashing the device or GTFO.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Because soldering two cartridges and a convenient switch is somehow harder than soldering one on.

If some people don't want to believe in this, there is nothing you can do to make'em. Time is the only thing that can show if this is legit or not, and Team Crown's taking their time. They already have enough pressure on their back as it is - perhaps they made the announcement too early... That is, if it's the real deal. If not, no harm done as I don't think anyone's really rooting for them with so little proof available.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because soldering two cartridges and a convenient switch is somehow harder than soldering one on.

If some people don't want to believe in this, there is nothing you can do to make'em. Time is the only thing that can show if this is legit or not, and Team Crown's taking their time. They already have enough pressure on their back as it is - perhaps they made the announcement too early... That is, if it's the real deal. If not, no harm done as I don't think anyone's really rooting for them with so little proof available.

The only reason *MOST* people really want this is for pirating 3ds, and I know you won't say it here, but be honest with yourselves, is it really so bad that you actually have to buy a license instead of essentially stealing one?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
USB link into computer with software shown + clear view on board in a video = win.
Loading will be probably done via a hardware flasher rather than a simple USB connection - it's chip flashing we're talking about, it's a bit more complex than using a USB stick. Think back to GameBoy flashcarts with built-in memory - most of them had special docks.

That said, yeah - I suppose it would make the product look more genuine.

The only reason *MOST* people really want this is for pirating 3ds, and I know you won't say it here, but be honest with yourselves, is it really so bad that you actually have to buy a license instead of essentially stealing one?
That's the only reason people want this because that's the only thing a setup like this can do before we know how to encrypt and sign binaries.

And yes, my hunger for games is far greater than my income and I think that we're all in agreement that many people are in the same situation. :P I'm honest with myself, I just don't feel particularily bad about it. I buy the games I *like*. Do you kick yourself in the balls for listening to music over Youtube? After all, most of it is illegal content - you're supposed to buy the music, you're essentially "stealing" it when you listen to it for free.

Reactions: 2 people

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
USB link into computer with software shown + clear view on board in a video = win.
Loading will be probably done via a hardware flasher rather than a simple USB connection - it's chip flashing we're talking about, it's a bit more complex than using a USB stick. Think back to GameBoy flashcarts with built-in memory - most of them had special docks.

That said, yeah - I suppose it would make the product look more genuine.

That's the only reason people want this because that's the only thing a setup like this can do before we know how to encrypt and sign binaries.

And yes, my hunger for games is far greater than my income and I think that we're all in agreement that many people are in the same situation. :P I'm honest with myself, I just don't feel particularily bad about it. I buy the games I *like*. Do you kick yourself in the balls for listening to music over Youtube? After all, most of it is illegal content - you're supposed to buy the music, you're essentially "stealing" it when you listen to it for free.

Don't get me wrong, being a software developer and a published musician I do care more about copyrights than most of the general public. What I'm saying is it really isn't so bad that you have to buy a license to use a game, this helps development and on the plus side you tend to get better at certain games. Rampart piracy tends to get 3rd party development to steer away from said consoles also.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Don't get me wrong, being a software developer and a published musician I do care more about copyrights than most of the general public. What I'm saying is it really isn't so bad that you have to buy a license to use a game, this helps development and on the plus side you tend to get better at certain games. Rampart piracy tends to get 3rd party development to steer away from said consoles also.
Rampant piracy has been around since the dawn of software. PC games get pirated within days of their release - does it stop developers? No. The DS can't be more hacked than it is now - does it stop developers? No - it has a whooping library. The PSP couldn't possibly be more hacked - it even has custom firmware. What about the developers? New games still comming out.

And don't give me the Wii example, please. The Wii is just underpowered, that's why developers stopped caring.

Piracy was and always has been a loss already counted in the grand scheme of distribution - there is no such thing as a sale lost due to piracy. From my own experience, I wouldn't even have a DS at this point if not for the fact that I knew I could easily get a flashcart for it. Nintendo made money because the console was "hacked" - yes. A typical pirate wouldn't even buy the game if he couldn't pirate it - he'd get it on a platform that he could pirate on. Piracy, paradoxically, sells systems, and there is a remote yet very real possibility that if the pirate actually likes the game enough, he or she will buy it for the sake of having it.

Since the day floppy disks were invented up to this day people gathered around and shared their software and other media and it's not going to stop anytime soon. If anything, you can add features to the games that are not available to pirates which was not previously possible.

What about bonus DLC for those who register the games? What about online gameplay with proper AP checks? What about pre-order bonuses?

Only a handful of developers use those incredibly effective tools - why? Because they're lazy, that's why.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rampant piracy has been around since the dawn of software. PC games get pirated within days of their release - does it stop developers? No. The DS can't be more hacked than it is now - does it stop developers? No - it has a whooping library. The PSP couldn't possibly be more hacked - it even has custom firmware. What about the developers? New games still comming out.

And don't give me the Wii example, please. The Wii is just underpowered, that's why developers stopped caring.

Piracy was and always has been a loss already counted in the grand scheme of distribution - there is no such thing as a sale lost due to piracy. From my own experience, I wouldn't even have a DS at this point if not for the fact that I knew I could easily get a flashcart for it. Nintendo made money because the console was "hacked" - yes. A typical pirate wouldn't even buy the game if he couldn't pirate it - he'd get it on a platform that he could pirate on. Piracy, paradoxically, sells systems, and there is a remote yet very real possibility that if the pirate actually likes the game enough, he or she will buy it for the sake of having it.

Since the day floppy disks were invented up to this day people gathered around and shared their software and other media and it's not going to stop anytime soon. If anything, you can add features to the games that are not available to pirates which was not previously possible.

What about bonus DLC for those who register the games? What about online gameplay with proper AP checks? What about pre-order bonuses?

Only a handful of developers use those incredibly effective tools - why? Because they're lazy, that's why.

I'm thinking more of the dreamcast and I know that piracy is factored into the ledger, I have to do it myself, we call it "breakage". Anyway, its the nonchalant attitude toward the theft that really irritates me and hurts the smaller developers, hell, I program android apps to get through college and it really hurts my budget when they get stolen and this is the same story for a lot of independent developers.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm thinking more of the dreamcast and I know that piracy is factored into the ledger, I have to do it myself, we call it "breakage". Anyway, its the nonchalant attitude toward the theft that really irritates me and hurts the smaller developers, hell, I program android apps to get through college and it really hurts my budget when they get stolen and this is the same story for a lot of independent developers.
It was revealed that piracy had little to do with it - Sega dropped out of the race on their own accord. Moreover, they were the ones who shot themselves in the foot. The Dreamcast was originally supposed to have a DVD drive in it but for whatever reason Sega opted to rush it into relase stage and used the GDRoms. A simple re-conversion of audio tracks into a smaller format and burning CD's became a breeze after the tables of contents were mapped and the Dreamcasts knew no better since the first model had virtually no anti-piracy measures. The nail to the coffin was the leaking of the Katana SDK which allowed for the creation of the Utopia loader and region-free gaming.

Sega played all their cards wrong with the Dreamcast - they knew they're not doing so good and dropped out themselves as means of damage control, much to their benefit as they are now making money again wheras in that period they only had losses.

dulume

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland

The nonchalant attitude of the guy comparing himselff with companies like nintendo or any other game compny was awesome.

You almost made me cry.

Reactions: 1 person

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It was revealed that piracy had little to do with it - Sega dropped out of the race on their own accord. Moreover, they were the ones who shot themselves in the foot. The Dreamcast was originally supposed to have a DVD drive in it but for whatever reason Sega opted to rush it into relase stage and used the GDRoms. A simple re-conversion of audio tracks into a smaller format and burning CD's became a breeze after the tables of contents were mapped and the Dreamcasts knew no better since the first model had virtually no anti-piracy measures. The nail to the coffin was the leaking of the Katana SDK which allowed for the creation of the Utopia loader and region-free gaming.

Sega played all their cards wrong with the Dreamcast - they knew they're not doing so good and dropped out themselves as means of damage control, much to their benefit as they are now making money again wheras in that period they only had losses.
Where did you here it was originally suppose to have a DVD drive?? AFAIK this was never planned, since DVD didn't catch on until the ps2 came out. Also, ironically enough the Dreamcast's security flaws made it live on so much longer after it was canned :D

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The DVD drive was planned for it but it was released early. Instead, SEGA showcased a DVD attachment for it which was to be released soon after its release but the plans never came to fruition. I would give you source links but I'm on mobile at the moment, articles on the issue are easily googleable though so you should have no problems finding them. I believe it was a quote of one of the developers of the console, but at this point I'm not sure. What I do know is that the choice of GD-ROM was the result of being pressed by time rather than a thought-through decision.

If the console would use DVD, the piracy of its games would be greatly decreased simply because at the time of its release DVD burners were ridiculously expensive and cost the equivalent of one human sacrifice and a month's worth of pay.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I just double-checked the info. GD-ROM was introduced because implemting DVD was far too costly at the time, however in anticipation of the PS2 which was rumored to use DVD's Sega announced that a DVD expansion would be made available soon.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just double-checked the info. GD-ROM was introduced because implemting DVD was far too costly at the time, however in anticipation of the PS2 which was rumored to use DVD's Sega announced that a DVD expansion would be made available soon.
I knew that was it. They also had a another add-on, a zip drive, but this two never was released. Prototypes are confirmed to exist however, there's even pictures of them :D

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I knew that was it. They also had a another add-on, a zip drive, but this two never was released. Prototypes are confirmed to exist however, there's even pictures of them :D
The DVD attachment was showcased aswell, so I'm assuming that it was close to completion. I've also seen efforts at adding a DVD drive to the system via the serial port, however seeing that adding an SD port is crazy-easy, I don't think those ever worked out.

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
If piracy really mattered into anything, the PS3 should have way more 3rd party devs and games than the X360 does, and - surprise - it doesn't. Also, previous gen, the PS2 had way more sales and games than the Xbox and the Gamecube despite being oversaturated with piracy (in my country, 90% of PS2s are modchipped and many grey-zone shops sell them already modchipped). Whereas, the GC had way less in the way of piracy and it was still considered a failure.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never said piracy was the sole reason, I only implied that it makes a significant contribution to the the development environment. The reason the ps2 won the console wars last gen was from the userbase BUYING games.

And wow did this ever get off topic, anyway, so crown3ds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Can I get his ☎️ # :shy::blush: +1