Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
MADKATZ99 said:
Also, I think all the talk of "It won't be hacked in years, the 3DS is air tight", then some of the comments in thread like "Oh yeah but this hack is easy, anyone could do it" are funny
biggrin.gif
"Hack" meaning different things in those sentences.

QUOTE(spinal_cord @ Sep 19 2011, 05:01 AM) Premature LOL friend. The system is not in any way broken, not has it been hacked. When you copy music from one audio cassette to an other, then played the copied song on your stereo, do you then say your stereo has been hacked? No, you don't.
Being able to run a 1:1 copy of some software from a different device is about as far away as you can get from 'hacking' a system. For the 3DS to be called hacked, someone would have to find a way to run unsigned native code on it, which nobody has done, therefore, '6months to break' is not only optimistic, it's just plain wrong. Until the first real 'Hello World' appears and people can run it themselves, you can be certain that the 3DS security is fully in tact an unbroken.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kayot said:
I think this just proves that for every White Knight Anti-Pirate, there's a willing and able group to fill the gap. Kinda warms my heart really. Now if this card can price below the cost of a legitimate game, then the 3DS is in trouble.

What I'd like is a way to change the game on the cart with a game in the SD slot on the 3DS. That would be ironic.

Theoretically I can see 1 way that's possible, but it'd raise the price much, much higher. (like $30-$40 at minimal on top of it likely being at least $100 at launch)

They could build an SD with a USB slot on the back (I've seen those) and plug the SD into the 3DS, then the back could have a connector cable to plug into the card lol

I was thinking of that way because we don't have access to use the SD slot from modded 3ds software (because there is none, or it's not public) but attaching a cable could work. But by then it'd be much more efficient to just put a microSD slot in the card like 98% of the DS/i flash carts (a few older cards has usb storage)

For example here's a picture of an SD card with a USB on the back:

8f6f225b9da014d0e3cb2110.L.jpg

Again by the time my idea is pulled off it's better to use a microSD on the cart, but with the idea you can use the SD from the 3DS's SD slot. (it would cost more than its worth atm though)

I'm not expecting the Crown3DS to be less than $100 USD though, but I doubt it'll be more than $200 USD. Fortunately for me I make $100 really easily and I don't have a lot of expenses to pay here so I may get one if/when they show us a little more (like reflashing it for example, I'd love to see that)

Forte89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm not a programmer so i wouldn't be too sure, but i can see the flashcard simply being a ram cart with the initial boot software but storage will more than likely be on the SD slot, now if it works that way can anyone confirm if the 3ds reads SDXC cards.

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Forte89 said:
i'm not a programmer so i wouldn't be too sure, but i can see the flashcard simply being a ram cart with the initial boot software but storage will more than likely be on the SD slot, now if it works that way can anyone confirm if the 3ds reads SDXC cards.
The 3DS won't read SDXC. Not now, not never. SD and SDHC use the same readers, XC is a whole different reader.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Quincy said:
Forte89 said:
The 3DS won't read SDXC. Not now, not never. SD and SDHC use the same readers, XC is a whole different reader.
meow, UHS104 is possible.
The absolute slowest SDXC card speed.

And to access something in the 3DS, you'd have to get the rights to run code on it.
And that's the problem right now.
Nobody thinks the crown fellows have those rights, so they can't use anything from the 3DS itself.
It looks like all their device does is mimic a retail cart, but allows you to change the game it contains.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good god people... This topic should be locked until anything of substance can be added (from the Crown 'team' or GBATemp admins). From what is shown this is an external replica of a cartridge that is a 1:1 clone and the fact that it won't run anything but one title speaks volumes. IMO this is a pushed PoC and it is locked into running a single title (SC) and it isn't capable of running any other title at all because of additional protection on the original cart that had to be stored on the replica (prototype board) and can't run anything else.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@kevan:
That was my opinion due to all the crosstalk and (mostly) comments that are totally off topic. It would benefit the community to close this topic and send the OT commentators to EOF for further cock-waving.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
If they can crack one game what's to stop them from cracking them all? Obviously the team knows something. I think they only released the video to generate some buzz around their name, even if their work is in the early stages and will attract skepticism.

Spongeroberto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bhutan
(assuming this isn't a hoax) look on the bright side; even though it's just one game they showed the 3DS can be hacked. I expect that other flashcarts are gonna start popping up now.

Erdnaxela

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Everything can be hacked, and honestly, if the 3ds can be easily hacked, more people will buy it and it won't hurt software sales, just look at pokemon black/white.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Closing this thread will only make it worse, users will post new topics to talk about it.
rolleyes.gif

Though, there were a lot of offtopic here but it seems it finally came back to the flashcard discussions.

Please try talking only about the card development/piracy involved around that card.
But if you read it back, everything has been said and repeated many time already.

It's not a 3DS hack, it's a game cartridge "hack" (physical shell component replicate with a rewritable chipset in place of the original chipset storing the game data).
It can't run homebrew.
It can't help running homebrew anytime soon.
It can't help crack/hack/pwn the 3DS encryption
There won't be any menu in 3DS mode.
It's not fake "because there's no menu!", GBA didn't have menu either and worked as a 1 game at a time too. learn your piracy history before making assumptions.
It's only a Proof of concept and is not near completion. (only 1 game is working right now)
When there will be something new, it will certainly be front paged.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you want to make a hoax, make it looks like a bigger news :
a working card that allow playing all games.
a completed project.
with a storing device (SDHC)

They made only this few advancement to be a hoax.
It still can be one, but I guess they would have made a bigger announcement if they wanted to make a fake one.

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cyan said:
If you want to make a hoax, make it looks like a bigger news :
a working card that allow playing all games.
a completed project.
with a storing device (SDHC)

They made only this few advancement to be a hoax.
Yeah I doubt it is a hoax but there is always a chance.

Jonez

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Cyan said:
Closing this thread will only make it worse, users will post new topics to talk about it.
rolleyes.gif

Though, there were a lot of offtopic here but it seems it finally came back to the flashcard discussions.

Please try talking only about the card development/piracy involved around that card.
But if you read it back, everything has been said and repeated many time already.

It's not a 3DS hack, it's a game cartridge "hack" (physical shell component replicate with a rewritable chipset in place of the original chipset storing the game data).
It can't run homebrew.
It can't help running homebrew anytime soon.
It can't help crack/hack/pwn the 3DS encryption
There won't be any menu in 3DS mode.
It's not fake "because there's no menu!", GBA didn't have menu either and worked as a 1 game at a time too. learn your piracy history before making assumptions.
It's only a Proof of concept and is not near completion. (only 1 game is working right now)
When there will be something new, it will certainly be front paged.
Amen! +1 to this post.

Jonez

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Erdnaxela said:
Everything can be hacked, and honestly, if the 3ds can be easily hacked, more people will buy it and it won't hurt software sales, just look at pokemon black/white.
OBJECTION! Playstation Movie UMD failed because of easy piracy.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. playstation movie UMD failed because of the PSP's laughably bad battery life using it. There was barely enough juice with the battery for a PSP to watch just the movie off a UMD disc. This isn't just hearsay... it was even verified by OPM when they had their pre-launch feature of the handheld.

The only way you were going to be able to really use it effectively for movies was to rip them from DVD's (that were cheaper to begin with) and putting them on a (proprietary) memory stick to use in the PSP. And of course, UMD drives were also slower than the flash memory too, with many games seeing significantly better load times by being ripped to that, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2::rofl2: