• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Covid-19 vaccine

Will you get the vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 500 67.1%
  • No

Votes: 245 32.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, if you have done that that's great. But like I said to the other guy my comments aren't made towards anyone specifically. Just in general. Yes I am arguing that most people that say the vaccine is safe and effective don't know what they're talking about while also saying the vaccine is safe and effective myself. Most people in this thread most likely do not have an education in biology or the scientific method, therefore they are arguing something without knowing what they're talking about. I could say that Water is healthier than Gatorade. Is it correct? I don't know, I'm not a dietary expert and I haven't looked at the data. I believe it is correct but I do not know that it is correct.

I'm not saying people should reject science. I just don't think that people should be arguing about things they don't understand. Something might be reproduceable but everyone reproducing it might be making a mistake because of something they don't realize. One example of this is that at one time everyone just assumed that only male birds sing. Why? Who knows but it was accepted as a fact. Now we know this to be false, female birds also sing. Obviously this is inconsequential but it's possible that we're making a similar assumption about the human body which when taken in to account would effect how we look at data from the vaccine trials. Also you can't have 100% faith in anything in science. Coginto, ergo sum. I think therefore I am. The only thing we can be 100% sure of it that we think and therefore we exist. Anything else could be an illusion produced by a mental illness. This might sound stupid to people without a scientific education but that's exactly why I don't think people without a scientific education should be debating things like vaccines.
"People shouldn't argue X because they're not as smart as me when I argue X."

You don't have to be like me and have a biology degree in order to understand the vaccines are demonstrably safe and effective. It's also a very bold assumption to say a majority of the people in the thread who hold the same position as you don't know as much as you and shouldn't be talking about the subject.

Reactions: 6adget

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Also you can't have 100% faith in anything in science.
As I said, science doesn't require faith. Theories are proven or disproven over time, just as our understanding of the universe deepens over time.

The only thing we can be 100% sure of it that we think and therefore we exist.
That would be philosophy, not science. ;)

There are also philosophical arguments which might refute that notion, but I won't take the thread off-topic by getting into that now.

Reactions: 6adget and Lacius
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
"People shouldn't argue X because they're not as smart as me when I argue X."

You don't have to be like me and have a biology degree in order to understand the vaccines are demonstrably safe and effective. It's also a very bold assumption to say a majority of the people in the thread who hold the same position as you don't know as much as you and shouldn't be talking about the subject.
I didn't argue people aren't as smart as me. I'm saying people shouldn't be arguing about things they don't have an education in. To assume everyone here has a background in science is ludicrous. How are people supposed to know that things are safe if they don't know how the experiments are done or why it is done that way? Because they're told that it is safe? Anti-vaxxers are told that it is unsafe. Both people know just as much as the other they just believe different authorities. Yes people should listen to the scientists but unless they themselves have a background in science how should they know that the scientists should be trusted or which ones to trust? Dr Andrew Wakefield started the whole anti-vaxx thing and he himself was a scientists, a fraudulent scientists but he had a PHD.

As I said, science doesn't require faith. Theories are proven or disproven over time, just as our understanding of the universe deepens over time.

That would be philosophy, not science. ;)

There are also philosophical arguments which might refute that notion, but I won't take the thread off-topic by getting into that now.
Science and Mathematics have their roots in philosophy. Before we gave science the name science, the people we call scientists today were called natural philosophers. Iirc it was around the time the baconian method of science became popular that we moved away from that name.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Science and Mathematics have their roots in philosophy.
IIRC mathematics has its roots in ancient Egypt, whereas almost all the famous philosophers we know today didn't show up until the Greek and/or Roman empires were established. I suppose you could also make the argument that religion is a form of philosophy. Regardless, scientific experimentation has a far more rigid structure to it than philosophical thought. For example: "what if we're all really butterflies who only perceive ourselves to be in human bodies?" That's a perfectly legitimate theory from a philosophical standpoint, but as a scientific hypothesis I'd have no way of testing it or proving it true, making it rubbish from that perspective.

Cylent1

Community Smart Ass!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For example: "what if we're all really butterflies who only perceive ourselves to be in human bodies?" That's a perfectly legitimate theory from a philosophical standpoint, but as a scientific hypothesis I'd have no way of testing it or proving it true, making it rubbish from that perspective.
Scientifically, DNA would prove otherwise.

Reactions: Xzi
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Not necessarily because we could be hallucinating it or the DNA sample could be contaminated. Is that a bit out there? Yes but it is a possibility and science is supposed to be rigorous. That's why in science you never prove anything you only disprove it. Thank you for this comment actually because this supports what I was saying before about people without a background in science talking about science.

Last edited by CompSciOrBust,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Not necessarily because we could be hallucinating it but the DNA could be contaminated.
Yeah I was about to say something similar. Maybe we're only seeing what we want to see. Still a perfectly valid avenue to run through a philosophical thought exercise with, not at all valid from a scientific perspective to reject the DNA results outright like that.

Reactions: CompSciOrBust
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Yeah I was about to say something similar. Maybe we're only seeing what we want to see. Still a perfectly valid avenue to run through a philosophical thought exercise with, not at all valid from a scientific perspective to reject the DNA results outright like that.
I would disagree. I'm not saying to reject the results but I think it would be unscientific to just accept the results as 100% correct. Skepticism is a part of the scientific method and to have faith that something is 100% correct is unscientific. We can go forward accepting that this is accurate but we need to have an open mind that it might not be. Without this mindset we'd never have paradigm shifts. We could go in to this but it's 6 AM and I'd rather not.

Reactions: Minox

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Skepticism is a part of the scientific method and to have faith that something is 100% correct is unscientific. We can go forward accepting that this is accurate but we need to have an open mind that it might not be.
Well sure, we still call gravity a "theory" to this day after all. The second a scientist starts to gain an inflated ego, the next guy comes along and successfully tests a hypothesis that invalidates much/all of his work.

Reactions: CompSciOrBust

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't argue people aren't as smart as me. I'm saying people shouldn't be arguing about things they don't have an education in. To assume everyone here has a background in science is ludicrous. How are people supposed to know that things are safe if they don't know how the experiments are done or why it is done that way? Because they're told that it is safe? Anti-vaxxers are told that it is unsafe. Both people know just as much as the other they just believe different authorities. Yes people should listen to the scientists but unless they themselves have a background in science how should they know that the scientists should be trusted or which ones to trust? Dr Andrew Wakefield started the whole anti-vaxx thing and he himself was a scientists, a fraudulent scientists but he had a PHD.

Science and Mathematics have their roots in philosophy. Before we gave science the name science, the people we call scientists today were called natural philosophers. Iirc it was around the time the baconian method of science became popular that we moved away from that name.
My point was that it's a little arrogant to assume a majority of the people arguing vaccines are safe and effective don't understand the science like you do.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Here is how you come to a conclusion - following logic and scientific proof.

First - the person you named is a proven fraundster, who has lost the approbation to perform as a medical doctor in his country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wakefield
https://briandeer.com/mmr/lancet-summary.htm

Why - and how do you prove it.

He had undisclosed financial incentives to promote a scare story - before he first did any research.

He talked about the syndrom he'd discover - before he'd done the research to discover the syndrom.

The evidence he presented was a small scale study (15 people picked for their symptoms) after which he started to go on a media circuit, which is also highly unusual

The end result was them getting public research funds in the millions and distributing them at their own disgression, until the (high incentive) of fraud was found out. That research (the one where you look at this at scale) never got finished.
--

Also - he aimed to 'prove' the effect of one combination vaccine - not vaccines in general, so whenever you make the 'ideological' jump to 'all vaccines' - its your fault. Not what he was saying.
--

Why did it work as a media play? You had a smart, eloquent middle class physician - who liked (partly because of an undisclosed financial incentive) to drum up media attention around his person. A FUD based message. And a general public, who in addition to trying to simplify things down to a level where people can easily digest things, were also confronted with the vaccine under contention being a combination vaccine against three illnesses -- which gets condensed down to 'all vaccines dangerous' because thats how 'the public mind' works - under uncertainty, aiming for complexity reduction.

Nothing unusual there, even expected.
--

"But hes also a scientist!"

Crowds look up to leadership figures, in periods of distress, to help them make up their minds. People in white coats are prime level 'influencer' material in that sense, especially if they are good looking and can talk.

Science doesnt make that shortcut. Science essentially is a bunch of techniques, that are employed, so you arrive at conclusions independent of the person. So a bunch of techniques, aimed at removing bias from the occasion.

One of those techniques is standardized statistical testing -- where the chance of something being a statistical fluke becomes smaller, and smaller - the more people you are testing. If your initial study only relies on 15 patients, which you handpicked -- its has no statistical validity. Meaning - it can be part of the beginning of looking at a phenomenon, but it cant be statistical proof. And statistical proof is what would actually change practices. And would be needed to come to a conclusion in a case like this.

But why trust statistics -- ? Essentially, because in the medical space they are usually good. :) Why? Because the way to ask for/mark down a certain illness is well standardized (Hospitals participating in studies, have forms, that have to be written in a certain way to prevent bias). To get large scale studies, they are spread across different people that are in control of getting the data, that are not affiliated with the study, the data is then collected and whatever massaging you might be doing on the data front, will be put up against 'sanity checks', which makes it hard to falsify the results of your study to gain a certain result - because doing so, would lead to statistical abnormalities, that usually can be caught at large scale. In addition to that any of your findings, and the data you provide will go through a 'jury of your peers', who will risk their reputation by greenlighting your study results.

So essentially, if you are not running the studies yourself, its hard to falsify results. Which is the entire reason for the method. :)
--

"But science isnt always right.."

Yes, and here are the ways it fails most often:

Observation bias: You seeing something you'd expect to see. Thats countered by you not running the study.

Statistical fluke: Thats countered by making the studies big. (And applying mathematical criteria for what is 'significant')

Results can not be reproduced: Thats countered by you having to write down your process in a way that other people can duplicate the research - then they look, if they can replicate your results. At this point you have nothing to do with that process anymore. :)

People tried to reproduce his results, they never could.

Confirmation bias: This basically matters a bunch in the design stage of a study, so what your colleagues in a field think is 'state of the art' (scientific canon), will influence how you look at things, and induce implicit biases. (You dont look at all the alternatives, or...) Which is tried to be offset by the method how you formulate your design questions, but hardly ever is -- in the end, most of science has come to the conclusion that science needs to be 'falsification based' (deductive logic, not inductive logic), so you take your interest, you operationalize your research question, and then you try falsify it -- using criteria that removes sophistry (= what people might do that are good at talking), only if you cant falsify something, it is presumed 'true' in the end. And that 'truth' is not universal, but only holds as long as someone else cant disprove it. Thats what students and your pears are incentiviced to do btw - to get scientific renown. In the end this doesnt always work - but hey, you are trying.. ;)

But luckily for our case - confirmation bias on part of the entire scientific field was not what lead the study in conception - so thats not a likely issue where stuff 'did go wrong'.

Predictions: Thats an entirely different field, because you arent going off data, but the presumption that certain trends will develop the same in the future. Essentially predictions are hard.

But luckily for our case - studies were data driven (past occurences), and deductive, so thats not a likely issue where stuff 'did go wrong'.

The last two are also why you are looking for 'scientific consensus' essentially meaning "most of my colleagues think the same". This is not 'hard data' but used in cases, where you dont have that (predictions, ...).
--

So in the end this is the logic you'd use to come to a decision on weither you should believe in a persons position or not.

You dont just read 'they have a white coat and a title' and call it a day ("I'm listening to science, yay!"). Except that the mob always does. ;) Because of complexity reduction. But thats well known, and thats why there are fallbacks in the scientific process to objectify, remove biases, separate questionaires from researchers, use big numbers to get higher statistical certainty... and so on and so forth.

And in the case you are promoting you have a guy, with 15 test subjects and a media blizz campaign, who was bought by an industry lawyer (lobbyist) to produce a certain result, and then got research funds in the millions, but never produced the 'reliable' results.

Whats scientifically reliable? Something that has reliability, reproducibility and validity.

reliability: Are the results statistically viable and do they lead to the causal result you are proposing, in the opinions of your peers (other scientists).
reproducibility: Can the results be independently reproduced (following the same method)
validity: Does it measure, what it aims to measure,

Thats science.

Science is a process. Not a charged up half god in white, you should believe in, because - look at his coat. ;)

If you find incongruences in that process, in any case - good on you, you are doing it right, you are trying to falsify a proposal. :) But also remember, sophistry is out, so you cant win with verbiage, or making everyone worried. You have to win on facts. :)

edit: Oh, and you also _have_ to disclose affiliations (financial incetiives) which he also didnt do. Its not easy getting your approbation taken away.. ;)

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: 6adget

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Got the J&J shot in my left arm a few hours ago, had a bit of a sympathetic reaction in my right arm that made it feel almost like a balloon, but that only lasted about ten minutes. I also got to have the unique experience of being jabbed by my own mother, since she's a nurse and has been helping to vaccinate people at various clinics. Feels good to have it in the rearview. :D

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got the J&J shot in my left arm a few hours ago, had a bit of a sympathetic reaction in my right arm that made it feel almost like a balloon, but that only lasted about ten minutes.

I have been a professional tattoo artist for a little over 20 years, although I'm retired now. I have worked in shops that had some of the toughest bikers, and gang members . And I have been fortunate enough to have worked in some of best shops in places like Hollywood, and Vegas. One thing that I can tell you with certainty is that the vast majority of people that pass out at just the sight of a needle is men. From my experience most women are tough as nails.

I'm not in any way trying to compare you to them. Your post just got me thinking. How many of those who say they are not getting vaccinated are men who secretly are nervous about the shot, and are worried they may pass out in front of everyone. I'm not laughing at them. Far from it. Anyone that is that afraid of a needle and still gets the vaccine is tough as nails in my book

Oh, and tell your mom that she fucking rocks.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been a professional tattoo artist for a little over 20 years, although I'm retired now. I have worked in shops that had some of the toughest bikers, and gang members . And I have been fortunate enough to have worked in some of best shops in places like Hollywood, and Vegas. One thing that I can tell you with certainty is that the vast majority of people that pass out at just the sight of a needle is men. From my experience most women are tough as nails.

I'm not in any way trying to compare you to them. Your post just got me thinking. How many of those who say they are not getting vaccinated are men who secretly are nervous about the shot, and are worried they may pass out in front of everyone. I'm not laughing at them. Far from it. Anyone that is that afraid of a needle and still gets the vaccine is tough as nails in my book

Oh, and tell your mom that she fucking rocks.
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."

Reactions: 6adget and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I've never had any issue with needles, most I don't feel going in at all. It does seem to be a pretty common fear though, I've always wondered if maybe it's an evolutionary thing. Like the subconscious is registering it as an insect's stinger or something along those lines.

Reactions: Lacius
D

Deleted User

I received my first dose of Pfizer about two weeks ago. I had no side-effects. I was worried I might, since I had COVID-19 in January, and people who have had it are more likely to experience second-dose side-effects on their first doses.
I recently had the second dose of moderna, and it hurt me. Fever, aches, nausea, headache. I also had covid several months ago, so it could be that made it worse. But my first one was fine.
I don't get it. If you've already recovered from Covid and acquired immunity then why get vaccinated? Shouldn't you wait until the vaccines are updated to protect against the new variants with the (currently) vaccine-resistant spike protein?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't get it. If you've already recovered from Covid and acquired immunity then why get vaccinated?
We don't know how long that immunity lasts.

Shouldn't you wait until the vaccines are updated to protect against the new variants with the (currently) vaccine-resistant spike protein?
None of the variants have been shown to be vaccine-resistant yet, at least not to worrying levels.

Reactions: 6adget and Lacius

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get it. If you've already recovered from Covid and acquired immunity then why get vaccinated? Shouldn't you wait until the vaccines are updated to protect against the new variants with the (currently) vaccine-resistant spike protein?
COVID-19 resistance from having the disease and recovering from it is temporary and probably only lasts 3-6 months, without even taking into account the variants potentially bringing that number down. Once you've recovered from the disease and have no traces of the virus left in you, your body eventually stops producing the antibodies. There also seems to be a correlation between how severe the symptoms were and how long the immunity lasts (i.e. those with few if any symptoms might have a shorter period of time they're resistant).

The vaccine, on the other hand, causes the body to produce its own viral spike proteins so your body is reacting to them and making those antibodies for what's probably a longer period of time (at least 6 months according to current data, but some estimates put the vaccine efficacy for potentially 2-3 years). Even if the resistance from the vaccine were only 6 months, that would be 6 months in addition to the 3-6 months from when you had the disease (totalling 9-12 months if you're vaccinating at the tail end of your natural immunity). Those who had COVID before being vaccinated may also get more resistance, and for longer, than those who didn't have it before being vaccinated, as it's almost like its own dose. In other words, three doses are better than two.

Tldr, everyone sbould be vaccinated, including those who have had the disease.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/faq.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/vaccine-benefits.html

Last edited by Lacius,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto