Hacking Could the Wii U GC adapter ever support GBA-GC Link?

TUWieZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious of whether or not the hardware is capable of Wii U(or Mayflash) gamecube adapter-to-GBA/GC link cable

afaik Nintendont has gba link compatibility on the original wii's native gamecube input, not USB HID gc ports though however.

Reactions: Margen67

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious of whether or not the hardware is capable of Wii U(or Mayflash) gamecube adapter-to-GBA/GC link cable

afaik Nintendont has gba link compatibility on the original wii's native gamecube input, not USB HID gc ports though however.

The issue is that Nintendont currently only supports an HID signal for USB controllers, which the GBA link cable does not provide. It will take some re-coding of USB devices (again) to get that to work. Talk to Howard

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The issue is that Nintendont currently only supports an HID signal for USB controllers, which the GBA link cable does not provide. It will take some re-coding of USB devices (again) to get that to work. Talk to Howard

I have seen a similar issue with the XBOX360 wireless receiver and chatpad support. It is possible but would take a driver rewrite.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
no it wouldnt becuas ethe gcadapter doesnt support the gba cable signal, if you connecct the adapter to anything even a pc you will see teh gba link cable gives no signal trough the adapter, the adapter is mainly made to treansform gc controller signals into hid and the gba link cable doesnt give that signal so nothing getes transmitted, its not becuase of the driver but becuase the adapter is made to be hid only you would have to change the entire adapter to read the gba link cable not just the driver.

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
no it wouldnt becuas ethe gcadapter doesnt support the gba cable signal, if you connecct the adapter to anything even a pc you will see teh gba link cable gives no signal trough the adapter, the adapter is mainly made to treansform gc controller signals into hid and the gba link cable doesnt give that signal so nothing getes transmitted, its not becuase of the driver but becuase the adapter is made to be hid only you would have to change the entire adapter to read the gba link cable not just the driver.

If I'm not mistaken, the data line for gamecube controllers is the same data line the gba uses for communication. but yes the current driver is setup for a simple HID and contains no GBA 'hand shake'

AND.. like you said the hardware itself may limit it to just controllers.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If I'm not mistaken, the data line for gamecube controllers is the same data line the gba uses for communication. but yes the current driver is setup for a simple HID and contains no GBA 'hand shake'

AND.. like you said the hardware itself may limit it to just controllers.
the adapter is so limited that even some 3rd party gamecube controllers dont get any signal trough like my gameware gamecube controller, wich works perfectly on the wii with gc ports and the gc itself.

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the adapter is so limited that even some 3rd party gamecube controllers dont get any signal trough like my gameware gamecube controller, wich works perfectly on the wii with gc ports and the gc itself.

I think i see what your saying. but is this issue driver or hardware? like, driver isn't sending/receiving proper commands or there is an IC in the adaptor that limits the ports to controllers?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I think i see what your saying. but is this issue driver or hardware? like, driver isn't sending/receiving proper commands or there is an IC in the adaptor that limits the ports to controllers?
its the adapter is restricted to a specific signal that even third party controllers dont work on it, nintendo made sure only offical gc controllers get decoded into hid everything else just doesnt get decoded therefore sends no signal.

TUWieZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its the adapter is restricted to a specific signal that even third party controllers dont work on it, nintendo made sure only offical gc controllers get decoded into hid everything else just doesnt get decoded therefore sends no signal.

The only gc controllers I have are gamestop gc controllers and old pelican controllers and they both work perfect on my mayflash
I believe proper software would be able to utilize the hardware, but it would probably take a lot of understanding and reverse engineering of the GBA/GC link to make a proper driver

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all