could perfect dark be coming back?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Clarky, May 17, 2012.

May 17, 2012
  1. Clarky
    OP

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    [​IMG]
    Rare could be attempting to work there way back to core gamers advertising they are looking for new staff to work on "multiple AAA future console releases". The only hints that could lead to this being a new Perfect Dark is the job description, "You will have a successful history of releasing exceptional AAA games and these will ideally be in the action/adventure or first person shooter genre but this is not essential. You will also be experienced at effectively implementing positive change to working practises." Perfect Dark first made its debut back on the N64 in 2000 as a spiritual sequel to Goldeneye 007 which also led to 2 prequels on the Game Boy Color and as a launch title for the Xbox 360, Perfect Dark Zero. In 2010, 4j Studios remade the original Perfect Dark for Xbox Live Arcade. Most of the key staff behind the Goldeneye and Perfect Dark moved on to form Free Radical Studios who would go on to make Time Splitters before becoming Crytek UK​
    source-http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/899364-rare-hiring-for-perfect-dark-reboot

Only really enjoyed the first Perfect Dark myself but i imagine some may hold out hope for this or be interested to see what MS could have lined up for the next Xbox

2. Xuphor

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    I can see Perfect Dark for the First Person Shooter part, but not action/adventure. No one's guessing Banjo-Kazooie but me?

1 person likes this.
  3. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Let's hope not.

I love Perfect Dark, the original is a classic, but most of the team of the original is long gone and Perfect Dark Zero taught us that the "franchise" (if it could really be considered a "franchise" with the N64 game, a Gameboy game, and a Xbox 360 game) should stay dead.

Perfect Dark XBLA was great, but I don't want a new Perfect Dark that plays like other FPS games or a "throwback" FPS that ends up playing like Duke Nukem Forever.

For now, I'll be satisfied with the HD port.

1 person likes this.
  4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    So Rare wants someone who can do something that Rare hasn't done for over 10 years?

Also this doesn't mean they're bringing back Perfect Dark at all and most Rare projects end up getting cancelled, that is why they're doing Wii Sports rip offs.

5. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    ...Why not give us Killer Instinct or a new Banjo Kazooie? Seriously, it's been 12 years since the last Banjo game, give us one.

1 person likes this.
  6. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    I'd love a new Killer Instict game but doubt it will happen any time soon.

7. Guild McCommunist

United States
    [​IMG]

TBH I don't think Rare platformers would really transition well anyway, they were, in retrospect, glorified collect-a-thons and their level designs and art ain't got shit on modern 3D platformers like Super Mario Galaxy. At this point the Rare people will be remembered more for their FPS games than their platformers (considering they made Goldeneye, which people loved, Perfect Dark, which is better, and then the good people at Rare went on to make Timesplitters).

2 people like this.
  8. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    That wasn't a Banjo Kazooie game. Hang your head in shame Guild, I expected more brains from you.

9. Guild McCommunist

United States
    It was more of a joke but I never played Nuts and Bolts. I heard it was kinda shit from some people though.

I don't think it can be as bad as Perfect Dark Zero though. There was zero good qualities about that game.

10. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States

But...but the theme song and they made Joanna look HAWT! But dat theme song!

11. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    kinect 2 required xbl avatar game

12. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Considering the Rare we have today... I sure hope the answer is no.

13. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    According to various members of the Goldeneye/Banjo era, Rare's gone to shit because Microsoft pushes them to create games which appeal to markets, not good games. Grant Kirkhope in interviews with OCRemix has said that he felt useless, impractical, and worthless while working with Rare under Microsoft--because the games weren't being made. They were being ordered.

14. stanleyopar2000

Member stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

United States
    Nuts and Bolts was scrapped parts from a more superior game that was never to be: Banjo Three-ee

seriously...it could be a Perfect Dark game...then you can bet your ass it's going to: 1. Suck. 2. only be on 360.

Rare should have never fallen into the hands of Microsoft....All the good IP's died that day.

BLAST CORPS (this needs to come back naouww) PERFECT DARK. CONKER. RAYMAN 64. BANJO & KAZOOIE. DIDDY KONG RACING. DONKEY KONG 64. KILLER INSTINCT.

Rare made some of the best freakin' games on the 64....

look what happened to the Conker remake, the perfect dark reboot (mother of god...) and don't even get me started on the NEW Goldeneye.

15. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    WHERE THE FUCK IS MY NEW BANJO KAZOOIE GAME FOR NEXT GEN AND DONKEY KONG 64 VC RELEASE?

16. Clarky
    OP

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    I'm not sure which new Goldeneye you're on about (the aborted Arcade remake or the Activision one) but neither was hardly Rares fault

17. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    Fuck Perfect Dark, new Banjo-Kazooie game now please.

18. omegasoul6

Member omegasoul6 FFXIV Fanboy

Canada
    I keep on holding out hope for a new Conker game, but we're talking about the new Rare... =/
    They should atleast sell all the good IPs from the N64 days though.

19. stanleyopar2000

Member stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

United States
    The activision one....

20. SnAQ

Member SnAQ GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    I hope not, seeing as the first game for N64 was utterly crap.