Hacking Could Mario Kart update be needed to run backup without black screen?

SallyC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have recently soft modded my wii, with help from many of your posts, especially Emperor of Canada so thanks to everyone who contributes, it ran like a dream!

I wondered if anyone could help me with this small problem, I have checked many posts and can't find an answer.

I have done a back up of MarioKart PAL and it works perfect both on and off line, but when I put the game in my brothers wii (that I also soft modded in exactly the same way) he gets a black screen that can last 5 mins before a race. The only difference between the 2 machines that I can think of, is that I had already played the original copy of MarioKart and done the update before soft modding and he hadn't. Could there be an update on the game that is not included in the upgrade when modding?

I have also heard people saying they have done a force PAL50 or PAL60 Could this work?

Before the soft mod we were both running 3.1E but I had done the Kart update (maybe there is different levels of 3.1?)

If you think this could be a problem, can I remove Starfall, update with original Mario Kart then put Starfall back on or would this damage the homebrew? (I am running 3.2E with safe 3.3 updates and kart update is 3.1E)

Any ones help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

SallyC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your help,

Is IOS36 another safe update like the IOS51, should it be put in the same folder on my SD card? do I say yes to everything it wants to install?

Any ideas where I get it from?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure i am doing it right!

SallyC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks!

Nothing is ever simple is it!!
Now I have to learn about wiiscrubber, what it does and how to do it!

SallyC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
HELP!!

I now have wiiscrubber and have all files showing on the screen but I can't find ios36! is there an easier way?

lll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SallyC said:
I now have wiiscrubber and have all files showing on the screen but I can't find ios36! is there an easier way?

Simple version: inside the Update partition, inside the _sys directory, there's a file called something like IOS36_64_v1234.wad. Right-click and Extract it.

Detailed version:
Run WiiScrubber. Click Load ISO. Find your Mario Kart ISO and click Open.

You should see three partitions listed. Click the little plus sign next to "Partition:1 - UPDATE".
In the list of files you should see "_sys". Click the plus sign.

Now you should see a list of IOS and System Menu WAD files. Click on the one that starts with "IOS36". Right-click and click Extract.
Pick where you want to put the WAD file and save it.

Now install that WAD file like any other. There's plenty of guides around for WAD Manager.

QUOTEis there an easier way?

Yes, the easiest way is to stick in a retail Mario Kart Wii disc and let it update. AFAIK the Mario Kart Wii disc doesn't contain any nasty updates.

SallyC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks so much for all your information, I am going to look at it now.

I can't update from mariokart disc though, as I am running starfall (I believe this stops the update) or can you remove starfall, update wii with disc and not effect homebrew channel?

SallyC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In partition 1 I can't see a sys directory (only in partition 0 and this does not have ios36) could this have been deleted, as i brickblocked the iso file?

Thanks again

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
SallyC said:
In partition 1 I can't see a sys directory (only in partition 0 and this does not have ios36) could this have been deleted, as i brickblocked the iso file?

Thanks again
I don't know
But the fact that the ISO is brickblocked may cause the problem

lll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SallyC said:

No wonder you can't find it, brick blocker gets rid of updates - that's what it does. You have to find it somewhere else, it can't be posted on here. Do what KiiWii said several posts ago and google it.

SallyC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I googled IOS36_64_v1234.wad with no results, so I googled IOS36 and got IOS36-64-v1042.wad. could this be the one?

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're both IOS36, just one is a newer version. I'm not sure if that's the one you want or not.

BrickBlocking the game removes the update partition, so technically StarFall isn't even blocking it because it's not even there.

Your safest bet is to re-dump the game and extract IOS36 from the update partition.

SallyC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Re-dumping as we speak! will let you know what happens.

Do I have to remove any ios from the wii before adding this one? It won't replace any other file I need will it (a later version)?

I am new to this as you probably can tell, and I appreciate all the help everyone has given me.

Thank you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oj did the Dj