Yeah, I feel like the particular chunk is dead dead. That would explain how it got up to 82m refreshes, and then the ever-decreasing amount of refreshes until freeze when I retried the tool. I bet if I continue dumping the cart to cia repeatedly it will eventually fail because each read lowers the limit.
I was able to use checkpoint to dump the save file by hot-swapping the cartridge, so I'm content with calling this one gone.
Had to go out of town for work. Will be back Thursday night. Not super hopeful though. But who knows, may get lucky. I left the game in and put the console in sleep mode and on a charger in the meantime.
So I've been doing a bit of an experiment for the past few days. I have completely stopped using the refresh tool and decided to keep the cartridge idle on the home screen for 2 days, then spent another 2 days leaving it in the box on the shelf.
By the second day, before placing the cartridge back onto the shelf, I ran the tool to see how far it can get. It performed about as well as before, and gave an error at ~1000 refresh count.
However, after the 2 days of the cartridge being on the shelf, the tool no-longer errors out at the first chunk. Perhaps giving your cartridge a little rest can help against these crashes. It's probably not good for the cartridges to have constant refreshes for 24/7 over the course of several days.
I retested the tool using these settings after resting the cartridge:
Retry: 100
Stuck: 25
Autoskip: On
Log: Off
Refresh: On
Perhaps a mixture of using this tool + home screen + rest will do the trick? Probably more work needed to be done to confirm that though.
So I've been doing a bit of an experiment for the past few days. I have completely stopped using the refresh tool and decided to keep the cartridge idle on the home screen for 2 days, then spent another 2 days leaving it in the box on the shelf.
By the second day, before placing the cartridge back onto the shelf, I ran the tool to see how far it can get. It performed about as well as before, and gave an error at ~1000 refresh count.
However, after the 2 days of the cartridge being on the shelf, the tool no-longer errors out at the first chunk. Perhaps giving your cartridge a little rest can help against these crashes. It's probably not good for the cartridges to have constant refreshes for 24/7 over the course of several days.
I retested the tool using these settings after resting the cartridge:
Retry: 100
Stuck: 25
Autoskip: On
Log: Off
Refresh: On
Perhaps a mixture of using this tool + home screen + rest will do the trick? Probably more work needed to be done to confirm that though.
So I've done a bit more digging around, and I think my theory is mostly incorrect.
I recently switched from an old 2DS to a New 2DS XL. I was previously using the old 2DS to run this tool and that was where I was experiencing the crashing.
However, I have now started using a New 2DS XL that I recently bought and that seems to have no problem with the refresh tool.
Not sure if this is a fault on my particular old 2DS or what, but the change of device has made a complete difference. I tested again today by using the script on both devices, and the old 2DS errors out after about ~1000 refreshes whereas the New 2DS keeps going.
I've kept the New 2DS going all night on the refresh tool, and it was working for around 14 hours at least before I cancelled it to give the cartridge a rest.
I had a Japanese copy of Fire Emblem Echoes that had been unused for several years. The HOME Menu recognized the cartridge correctly, but launching it immediately gave the generic "An error has occurred" screen.
I then left the cartridge inserted in the 3DS, plugged in and in Sleep Mode for approximately 24 hours.
No change in status. Game still immediately gave error at launch.
GodMode9 Verify failed.
I ran the Cartridge Fixer several times. Each pass initially fixed more errors, but eventually progress seemed to plateau and the cartridge still failed verification.
I then left the cartridge inserted in the 3DS, plugged in and in Sleep Mode for approximately 24 hours again.
After the 24 hours, the game successfully launched, which it had not done before.
However, GodMode9 Verify still failed.
I ran the Cartridge Fixer one more time. This time it fixed one remaining item/chunk. I immediately ran Verify again and verification passed completely.
So in my case the sequence was:
Failed Verify → several Fixer passes → plateau → 24h Sleep Mode → game booted → Verify still failed → one final Fixer pass fixed one remaining error → Verify passed.
Hopefully this is useful data for the Sleep Mode experiment.
EDIT: I forgot to mention I used a New 3DS LL (Japanese version) and the final success was just this morning. Thank you very much for making this tool. You have saved my game and made a very happy gamer. ^_~
After being announced last week, the first of two broadcasts is set to go live later today with a stark focus on The Legend of Zelda and its 40th anniversary...
It's that time again folks, an update for the Switch and Switch 2, and a surprisingly big one at that! At lease for folks on the Switch 2. The most notable feature...
It is with a heavy heart that I announce the departure of our beloved Chary from the position of Chief Editor. Chary took over early 2021 and has done a wonderful job...
The second of a two-part special, a more traditional Nintendo Direct is set to air today. Unlike the Zelda Direct the contents of this one is still relatively up in...
To celebrate its 25th anniversary, XBOX has launched pre-orders for the XBOX 25th Anniversary Collection. For the occasion, the trailer below was aired.
This...
Over the weekend a number of Switch and Switch 2 related subreddits came alive with people reporting bans on their Switch 2 consoles out of nowhere. The error code...
After an accidental leaking of their review video from Linus Tech Tips last week, we somewhat knew that news on Steam's latest VR venture was imminent. Today the...
After more than a year, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has gotten a fresh update with a focus on the Switch 2, and it's surprisingly meaty. For those Switch 2 players, they'll...
Announced a few days ago, Nintendo of America have today launched their Customer Appreciation Sale. Featuring 30% discounts across a wide range of popular first-party...
It's been something of a quiet week in the gaming space, with the deluge of big hitters trying to find their place before GTA 6 launches really kicking off next week...
After being announced last week, the first of two broadcasts is set to go live later today with a stark focus on The Legend of Zelda and its 40th anniversary...
It's been something of a quiet week in the gaming space, with the deluge of big hitters trying to find their place before GTA 6 launches really kicking off next week...
It is with a heavy heart that I announce the departure of our beloved Chary from the position of Chief Editor. Chary took over early 2021 and has done a wonderful job...
The second of a two-part special, a more traditional Nintendo Direct is set to air today. Unlike the Zelda Direct the contents of this one is still relatively up in...
After an accidental leaking of their review video from Linus Tech Tips last week, we somewhat knew that news on Steam's latest VR venture was imminent. Today the...
Announced a few days ago, Nintendo of America have today launched their Customer Appreciation Sale. Featuring 30% discounts across a wide range of popular first-party...
A few days ago Chary stepped down as Chief Editor after 5 wonderful years, and everyone guessed the seat wouldn't stay empty for very long. Back in 2021 I proudly...
From my post earlier this week you probably already know which game I'm talking about. Fire Emblem released yesterday to some pretty rave reviews. Looking at...
A court has ordered Reddit r/SwitchPirates moderator James Williams (of ArchBox fame) must pay Nintendo $4.5 million in a default judgment for copyright infringement...
Over the weekend a number of Switch and Switch 2 related subreddits came alive with people reporting bans on their Switch 2 consoles out of nowhere. The error code...