Hacking Considering buying used Wii - BootMii as boot2 concern

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, just a quick question. I'm considering buying a used Wii as a backup system, and I'd like to know if Wiis with lower serial numbers are more likely to have BootMii installed as boot2 on them. The thing I'm really wondering about is: What if I find a low-serial Wii, but it has been updated to a recent firmware? Was the bootmii as boot2 fix hardware-based or software-based? If hardware-based, I'm guessing I could do the boot2 install after addressing the software fixes... But if the fix was software-based, that would mean even a low-serial Wii would not accept a BootMii boot2 install if its firware is updated...?

Basically, can a low-serial Wii with recent firware still have BootMii installed as boot2 somehow?

I'm still reading Nabster's and Deviyl's guides...

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Im pretty sure the boot2 fix is hardware based.

theres no way around it.

im pretty sure the serial number doesnt matter, but the time around is was bought does.

the firmware has nothing to do with boot2

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
im pretty sure the serial number doesnt matter, but the time around is was bought does.
But a lower serial number (LU100... for instance) would mean that the system is an earlier model, wouldn't it? See, I'm considering buying this "backup Wii" from a local GameStop that has a bunch of used Wiis, and at least one has an early serial number.

Just to confirm: You're saying that as long as it has the early hardware, you can do a boot2 install of BootMii even on a 4.x Wii?

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yea, the firmware installed has nothing to do with the hardware that prevents the boot2 install.

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, thanks for the info.
smile.gif

The used Wii I'm considering getting has a LU100... serial, and my current Wii, which has BootMii installed as boot2, is LU101..., so I think it'll work.
biggrin.gif

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
You have best chances when buying a Wii from late 2007(December) for installing BootMii to Boot2.

There are some on teh bay and also check Craigslist.

ToneEQ

Trophies
XP
Country
Some sellers on ebay list the firmware version, fixed consoles shipped with 3.4 or above on them. I got mine by buying a 3.2E model, BootMii boot2 working fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.acepcs.com/products/wizbox-g-mini-pc-amd-r7-7735hs lol wizbox