Hacking Connect to PC the GC controller via Wii usb.

Qualzz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi I do not know if it is properly formulated.

I want to know, if its possible to use gamecube controllers connected to the wii on PC.

The wii will act like an adaptater/remote controller.

I thought about connect the Wii to pc via USB, but there is some limitation about "hosting device" or something like that. So maybe via WIFI ?

Edit :

There is a way to do it :

http://gbatemp.net/threads/padsend-for-ds-wii-pc-application.295119/

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You can get GC to USB adapters so I don't see much point in this. It's certainly possible to make such a homebrew and it wouldn't be very hard but I'm not sure if a homebrew already exists.

Qualzz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah i know there is some adapters to do it, i just thought "why should i buy a GC to USB adapters if my wii can do this ? "

there is not homebrews for this at the moment :O

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Usb is not possible. The Wii usb ports are host ports and pc usb ports are also host ports. Usb topology expects a host - client connection. host - host is not an option.
You could use wifi, but it might introduce a small delay making your controller less responsive. It will depend upon the speed of your network and the amount off traffic on it.

Qualzz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Mmm on a local network, it could be very fast. So that's mean someone one day could develop this homebrew ?

I dont think it's gonna be hard for anybody who know how to do it.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As was said before, it's probably possible but no such software exists and there's no telling how well it would work. It would probably look very odd using something the size of the wii as an adapter too

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usb is not possible. The Wii usb ports are host ports and pc usb ports are also host ports. Usb topology expects a host - client connection. host - host is not an option.
You could use wifi, but it might introduce a small delay making your controller less responsive. It will depend upon the speed of your network and the amount off traffic on it.

It is possible to connect two hosts, just you need a more complicated USB cable (something like this http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Connecting-Two-PCs-Using-a-USB-USB-Cable/248 ) which then takes you back to "screw it, just use an existing GC to USB adapter".

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's possible, I'm using my GameCube controller connected on my Wii to play games on my PC :)

This is thanks to this homebrew and program : PadSend
http://gbatemp.net/threads/padsend-for-ds-wii-pc-application.295119/

Follow the pictures I took in that thread to correctly calibrate each buttons. (especially the sticks, or else you will have games with wrong axis assignation).

You'll have to hexedit the dol if your local IP is different
it's hardcoded 192.168.1.255
(255 means it will broadcast on all IPs connected to the LAN, it's like a wildcard to prevent the developer to make an IP setting, so your PC's server will detect it, no need to know your HDCP's IP or fixed IP)
But if your LAN is not on 192.168.1.x you need to change it.
I hexedited to 192.168.0.255 and it works very well.

I don't even need to switch my TV on, I power the Wii (it loads HBC automatically), and I use Wiiload on my computer to sends the Padsend.dol to the Wii, which is launched and connect to the PC's server.
Shutdown your Wii (keep pressed power button) to stop using it.

I played two games with it, there's no delay and everything is responsive.
PSO : works fine
FEZ : I had to change the axis setting in PPJoy because FEZ used the L/R analog as camera control, I changed it to C-Stick (I updated the pictures in the tutorial to reflect this change).

Reactions: lexarvn

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could see this going somewhere, actually.
If an app like this WERE to exist, it would need to be a LAN based client on the wii that reads input and sends them to the host instantly. And The PC host the server.
Both the Wii and PC would need to be on the same network, and PC software for accepting the Wii's input to the server program would need to be written, but I could see it being possible. Come to think of it, it could be used as more than just a Controller adapter. For this to be even remotely useful, you'd need to implement at least the following...

- Use of the Wii remote through the network.
- Use of the GCN Ports, Memory Card ports.
. - Additionally, drivers for accepting the GCN and Wiimote as PC controller Input would need to be written.
- Mapping of Wii's USB Ports and SD Slot as a Network drive on PC, allowing for effortless file transfer and file management via the network.

Edit: PadSend seems like a liable option. It would be nice to directly map the USB and SD ports on the Wii as Network drives and manage them remotely over LAN.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would have loved if PadSend author add Classic Controller support to have more buttons (Lz/Rz), but he only added GameCube and DS.

Maybe we could contact him to get the sources, or he could release a new version with more controllers.
Not a lot of people found his program useful, maybe I'm the only one using his program, so he didn't bother to make it better.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It is possible to connect two hosts, just you need a more complicated USB cable

I really don't expect the wii to have buildin drivers for such a cable...

The hard part in creating something like that is the pc site. If you intend to use it with existing games, they will probably expect an usb hid device as game controller. Emulating such in software is not an easy task. Another perhaps easier solution would be to emulate keypresses if the game can be keyboard controlled.

Qualzz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey guys, So i have good news, i tried Padsend, and it work pretty fine, i had some troubles to install PPjoy on windows 7 64 bits ( signature enforcement and all that crap) ut know i can play Smash Bros Melee over network with no lag, AND A GC CONTROLLER !

So thank you again Cyan, yo made my day ! :lol:

This thread is now solved.

Reactions: Cyan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I had one it was fun lol