Hacking Confused over redNAND, IOSU hacking, and the like

tarumbo83

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read the stickies but I'm still not really sure what's going on. I keep hearing stuff about redNAND and title installation and a bunch of other stuff but I can't seem to find a conclusive answer to what any of this is/does, even the "definitive guide" didn't help me. The only hacks I currently have are the HBL, which I load through a website, Loadiine, and I use the brazillian ticket patching thing + WUP installer Mod Y to install disc game backups. I'm hearing stuff about autoboot hacks, DS vc game hacks, red/emuNAND, and such, and then I see a bunch of stuff saying all that is unsafe and pointless. What exactly is there beyond what I'm currently doing? What are the advantages to getting a redNAND/doing something with fw.img/whatever?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using any fw.img currently will give you at the very least access to wupserver, which gives you full read/write access to all storage on the Wii U including NAND.
This in turn gives access to installing DS VC exploits, which give you the ability to launch any homebrew offline by loading the VC game from the home menu. No longer will you need self-hosting or loadiine.ovh
It also gives access to hacking vWii directly from Wii U mode.
It also includes the POTENTIAL to brick if you mupp about with things when you don't know what you are doing. But everything that currently exists is perfectly safe if you don't go modifying or deleting system files.

Edit: Oh and you can make your Wii U region free, and iirc it works on vanilla sysNAND once installed.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,
Reactions: tarumbo83

tarumbo83

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using any fw.img currently will give you at the very least access to wupserver, which gives you full read/write access to all storage on the Wii U including NAND.
This in turn gives access to installing DS VC exploits, which give you the ability to launch any homebrew offline by loading the VC game from the home menu. No longer will you need self-hosting or loadiine.ovh
It also gives access to hacking vWii directly from Wii U mode.
It also includes the POTENTIAL to brick if you mupp about with things when you don't know what you are doing. But everything that currently exists is perfectly safe if you don't go modifying or deleting system files.

Edit: Oh and you can make your Wii U region free, and iirc it works on vanilla sysNAND once installed.
Thanks! Also, what is redNAND on Wii U used for? Besides from brick/update protection like on the 3DS, I keep hearing that some stuff only works or doesn't work on redNAND but I'm not sure what. I'm also hearing something about signature patching, and a channel version of the HBL that you can install on a signature patched environment? What's all that about and how do I safely set it up?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! Also, what is redNAND on Wii U used for? Besides from brick/update protection like on the 3DS, I keep hearing that some stuff only works or doesn't work on redNAND but I'm not sure what. I'm also hearing something about signature patching, and a channel version of the HBL that you can install on a signature patched environment? What's all that about and how do I safely set it up?
You probably already know that redNAND is redirect NAND because you brought up the 3ds. On the Wii U it's generally the same idea. Brick protection (though currently no support for updates were one to come out).
The redNAND version of fw.img was the first to introduce signature patches as devs wanted to only use redNAND to be sure nothing would brick with signature patches. Later versions also add signature patches to sysNAND, but it's a similar deal to using pasta on 3ds, where on cold boot you won't have signature patches and you have to load the CFW (fw.img) in order for everything to work.
Also apparently an installable version of HBL exists now as well, but you need signature patches to run it.
Also, DO NOT install sysConfigTool to sysNAND EVER. It is guaranteed brick.
As for setting up redNAND, you just need to compile dimok's fw.img and from there use CFW Booter to load that fw.img from the SD root, which is how CFW is loaded on Wii U. From there it will detect redNAND is not set up on SD, and will ask you to push the power button to format the SD, dump NAND to SD and the format the remainder of the card as FAT32.

tarumbo83

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You probably already know that redNAND is redirect NAND because you brought up the 3ds. On the Wii U it's generally the same idea. Brick protection (though currently no support for updates were one to come out).
The redNAND version of fw.img was the first to introduce signature patches as devs wanted to only use redNAND to be sure nothing would brick with signature patches. Later versions also add signature patches to sysNAND, but it's a similar deal to using pasta on 3ds, where on cold boot you won't have signature patches and you have to load the CFW (fw.img) in order for everything to work.
Also apparently an installable version of HBL exists now as well, but you need signature patches to run it.
Also, DO NOT install sysConfigTool to sysNAND EVER. It is guaranteed brick.
As for setting up redNAND, you just need to compile dimok's fw.img and from there use CFW Booter to load that fw.img from the SD root, which is how CFW is loaded on Wii U. From there it will detect redNAND is not set up on SD, and will ask you to push the power button to format the SD, dump NAND to SD and the format the remainder of the card as FAT32.
Thanks, that answered everything!

tarumbo83

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just be aware setting up the SD for redNAND is similar to 3ds, you will lose all data on the card so make a backup of anything important.
I was going to go buy a new SD card for this anyways (the one I have is really small, I'm not sure it could even fit the entire NAND backup especially since I have a "deluxe edition" wii u with more storage), but thanks!

D

Deleted User

Whatever you do, don't follow a certain guide from that certain iso site. Even though this is all new, its already outdated.

Follow this video:
It will set you up with everything you need AND has links in the description with downloads to the stuff precompiled.

From there you can free gameeez, dee el see, vurchul cunsool, and get a permanent homebrew channel on sysNAND via Haxchi and a legitimate DS VC game you purchased.

Last edited by ,

tarumbo83

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever you do, don't follow a certain guide from that certain iso site. Even though this is all new, its already outdated.

Follow this video:
It will set you up with everything you need AND has links in the description with downloads to the stuff precompiled.

From there you can free gameeez, dee el see, vurchul cunsool, and get a permanent homebrew channel on sysNAND via Haxchi and a legitimate DS VC game you purchased.

Thanks, when I get my new SD card I'll start doing all this right away!

Khar00f

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If your going to get a new SD card soon, give it aw more days before doing any of this.

There's hints of something new coming around very shortly.

Also if your going to get an SD card for redNAND mage sure to double the size of your wiiu storage (16GB for 8GB WiiU and 64GB for 32GB version)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Is it safe to update a modded ps3? Can I play online in pirated games? (with ps3hen either...