Confirmed Nintendo Switch is using stock Nvidia Tegra X1, no modifications.

All is confirmed the Nintendo Switch is powered by stock Nvidia Tegra X1, same chipset used in Shield TV. The most surprising is the retention of 4 Cortex A53 processor cores, which have no use in the Nintendo switch as they can't be operated at the same time when Cortex A57 cores are running due to the ARM big.little configuration setup.

main-unit-6.jpg

Nvidia-T210.jpg

After subsequent processing of the GPU from the Nintendo Switch, we have determined that the processor is the Nvidia Tegra T210. The T210 CPU features 4 Cortex A57 and 4 Cortex A53 processor cores and the GPU is a GM20B Maxell core.

http://techinsights.com/about-techinsights/overview/blog/nintendo-switch-teardown/

Nvidia Tegra X1 features
  • 8 core CPU (4 x Cortex A57 and 4 x Cortex A53)
  • GPU is a GM20B Maxell core

A comparison to Shield TV. Switch specs on the left, and Shield TV on the right. The clock speeds are reported from Eurogamer, which are very much true.

• RAM: 4GB vs 3GB
  • CPU: 1Ghz vs. 2Ghz
  • GPU: 3 modes:307.2Mhz/384Mhz/768Mhz vs 1Ghz

Shield TV is clocked higher initially in both CPU and GPU, but don't forget Shield TV can't keep these clock speeds up for long, it throttles down to the exact switch's dock clockspeeds. Which further supports a stock X1.

Last edited by heartgold,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It was figured out by guys at neogaf when the Latte die scans came through.

20 ALUs per shader unit, so with total of 8 sharder units is 160ALU's@550mhz=176Gflops.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511628
I'm linking neogaf alot lol, well the technical nerds are there.
Read all the updates and corrections. Neogaf figured out how many units there are since you can see them in blocks with the naked eye, but there is no consensus on the amount of ALU's per unit.
update 2: the more I research AMD GPUs, there is the possibility that it is using more ALUs in each SPU, if it was based on VLIW5 R700, it would in fact be 176GFLOPs, but it if was based on something like Trinity's VLIW4, it would be 32 ALUs per SPU, leaving it with 282GFLOPs, and if it was based on VLIW5 still, but a custom chip, it would have 40 ALUs per SPU like some people are speculating, leaving it with 352GFLOPs.
This is why Neogaf is not a reputable source - they post stuff without actually confirming that they're right. I see absolutely no reason to trust their semi-educated guess, all reputable sources quote the Wii U's GPU as 352GFLOPS, which makes total sense.
The blocks labelled N1-N8 appear to contain the SPUs. Judging by their size relative to other 40nm VLIW5 GPUs, it seems that they each contain 40 SPUs, giving a total of 320. As well as the changes in their grouping (VLIW5 SPUs are usually grouped in 20s), there seem to be changes to their register files (the SRAM cells around them).
They're in groups of 40, not 20 - 320 units total, not 160. There's smarter heads analysing these photos than random Neogaf forum members.

Reactions: Pluupy

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own the game. I have already beat it. Why would I buy a switch when people are complaining about it? I dont want to buy a switch what are you going to do about it?

The switch owners who give you the impression are just very vocal about it. You have the rabid Nintendo HATERS who bought the switch specifically to trash talk it, and you have the dissatisfied customer who isn't happy with what he or she paid for. Most switch owners are happily playing with their hybrid console, and a good number of them acknowledge its faults but are happy regardless.

The dock is terrible, the Wi-Fi is terrible, and the FPS dips are pretty bad especially when you want to be online simultaneously. I still like it, but I would not recommend others to buy it unless a new model comes out or it goes on sale

Last edited by s157,
D

Deleted User

The Wii Mini took what was a perfect Nintendo console and bastardized it with the lack of GameCube controller ports, lack of SD card support, lack of WiFi and one damn USB port.
Oh shit didn't know it cut out so much. I only knew it cut out GC Ports.

What the fuck

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Read all the updates and corrections. Neogaf figured out how many units there are since you can see them in blocks with the naked eye, but there is no consensus on the amount of ALU's per SIMD.
This is why Neogaf is not a reputable source - they post stuff without actually confirming that they're right. I see absolutely no reason to trust their semi-educated guess, all reputable sources quote the Wii U's GPU as 352GFLOPS, which makes total sense.
They're in groups of 40, not 20 - 320 units total.
The Wii U GPU latte is heavily based on RV770, which has 20 ALU's per sharder. It's 99% likely the latte in Wii U follows that path, not ruling it out as noone can ever know the actual count.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh shit didn't know it cut out so much. I only knew it cut out GC Ports.

What the fuck

What was worse was that Nintendo was trying to sell the damn thing as a budget console when you could (at the time) get a used Wii with all the fixings for the same damn price. The Wii Mini was a total waste.

Reactions: Deleted User

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You forget, that Nintendo could write a GC emulator which is low level. Nobody knows the GC or Switch better than Nintendo. Same situation like PSX emulation on PSP. Back then homebrew devs weren't able to create a PSX emulator for the PSP which was capable to play games at bearable speeds:

Some games are already running at fullspeed in Dolphin with the X1, so why shouldn't it be possible for Nintendo to improve that and to create an low level emulator which plays most games at fullspeed?

This X11,000,000

Reactions: Deleted User

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The Wii U GPU latte is heavily based on RV770, which has 20 ALU's per sharder. It's 99% likely the latte in Wii U follows that path, not ruling it out as noone can ever know the actual count.
It is based on it, but the relative size of units is twice as big, so it's logical to surmise that they pack twice the units. Relative size of blocks tells you a lot about what's in them. I honestly don't believe the total GFLOPS can be that low, it just doesn't make any sense, the system would perform worse than a PS3 if that were the case.

incidentallyscribble

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What was worse was that Nintendo was trying to sell the damn thing as a budget console when you could (at the time) get a used Wii with all the fixings for the same damn price. The Wii Mini was a total waste.
This exactly

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wii mini's are dissapointing on a while other level. You can't even homebrew it...

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, new firmware update makes games unplayable but does turn your dock into a handy toaster. /s
I needed one of those not even kidding. Stoked for the firmware update

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I thought it had been confirmed that the switch will eventually have gc games on vc? I may be wrong but I read something on kotaku and polygon that it's happening or at least planned.
It'll happen

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It is based on it, but the relative size of units is twice as big, so it's logical to surmise that they pack twice the units. Relative size of blocks tells you a lot about what's in them. I honestly don't believe the total GFLOPS can be that low, it just doesn't make any sense, the system would perform worse than a PS3 if that were the case.

Ah just one of those things, we don't know for sure. Follow the logic, but you're dealing with Nintendo, so who knows. :unsure:
It is weaker than ps3 and x360 in raw power, apart from ram and modern GPU features. Devs have openly implied it and reported by leaks.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

The Wii Mini took what was a perfect Nintendo console and bastardized it with the lack of GameCube controller ports, lack of SD card support, lack of WiFi and one damn USB port.
The Wii was far from perfect.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And real f ing high! But not the height. We got legal recreation now, so yea...
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    you go bro
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i know, i know, i'm late
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.