Hacking Configurable USB Loader

tankdagger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm new to this forum and using a backup loader tool with my WII. I recently acquired my WII and it included System Menu 4.3u. This morning I was able to get Homebrew 1.0.8 installed and working but now would like to add Configurable USB Loader onto it. Will the normal directions apply for my configuration? I noticed on the Homebrew site that custom IOS is frowned upon and could cause problems and that the newest version of Homebrew includes hardware access. Any help anyone could offer to get me started would be great.

Thanks!

rafao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
juliano.pita said:
Well, first sorry for my bad english, and thanks all the team for this amazing piece of software!

My friends Wii had a problem that I don't know if it's related to the use of cfg USB Loader, but I thought that it would be interesting to relate nonetheless. Might be just a bad coincidence, but who knows? Maybe this info could be useful for someone...

Well, I've softmodded a friend's Wii for the sole purpose of using an external hard drive to put his games on. This friend's Wii has a modchip installed (I think it's an old WiiKey, he bought it second - or third, ou fourth - hand.). He is on 4.2 sysmenu. I've used bannerbomb, softmodded following mostly the guides on this site, everything was fine.

This friend is a tech savvy person, but with no time or inclination to play with the internals of his Wii. He just wanted to play his own games without hassle, so I take his word that he didn't messed up with the videogame further.

Then disaster (almost) struck: after playing an import game from the usb (Xenoblade), next time he powered up his Wii, after the health and whatever screen, the message "System Files are Corrupted" appeared. No rebboting or resetting or name calling changed it. After some panic and before trying anything else, we popped in his original copy of New Super Mario Bros in the DVD drive. The Wii powered up, the System Menu loaded as normal, all settings acessible, all good. Heavy using and testing before, everything looks fine.

Oh, his Wii is a USA one, 4.2 system menu, modchip (don't know the model).

He deleted Xenoblade for good from his HD (he can't speak japanese anyways), but some questions remain:

1- Is there any relationship between the two things (USB Loader, import game and semi-brick)? Or it's just a bad coincidence, and his NAND is starting to (physically) fail?
2- The Super Mario Bros trick worked because it contains the 4.2 sys menu update, or it worked because of the modchip? Or it was just another coincidence?
3- In the other hand, is the modchip responsable for this mess?
4- This same Xenoblade runs fine on my Wii and HD. I have no modchip, but my Wii is an USA Sysmenu 3.3. Is there some risk involved? For turning the Wii off directly, for example? I don't really remember what I do when I finish playing, but I think that I exit using the home button, then I turn off the Wii. Dunno.

Anyway, this problem is solved, but I just wanted to share the info. I think there's no relationship between the two things (cfg loader and the semi-brick), but I'm still trying to understand it.

Oh, I've posted here in the case it's loader related issue. If it's not, this post can be moved elsewhere, ok?

Thanks everyone

PS.: This friend's Wii has Priiloader installed, but it wasn't necessary to recover using it.

Edit: Yoda says: "Engrish grammar hard it is. Correct it you must have. mrh"

Se eu fosse você/seus amigos eu usaria o WiiFlow 2.1 cara, tem menos frescuras quanto a carregamentos de jogos. E tem uma compatibilidade maior do que a do CFG USB Loader.

YuriCPS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
rafao said:
juliano.pita said:
Well, first sorry for my bad english, and thanks all the team for this amazing piece of software!

My friends Wii had a problem that I don't know if it's related to the use of cfg USB Loader, but I thought that it would be interesting to relate nonetheless. Might be just a bad coincidence, but who knows? Maybe this info could be useful for someone...

Well, I've softmodded a friend's Wii for the sole purpose of using an external hard drive to put his games on. This friend's Wii has a modchip installed (I think it's an old WiiKey, he bought it second - or third, ou fourth - hand.). He is on 4.2 sysmenu. I've used bannerbomb, softmodded following mostly the guides on this site, everything was fine.

This friend is a tech savvy person, but with no time or inclination to play with the internals of his Wii. He just wanted to play his own games without hassle, so I take his word that he didn't messed up with the videogame further.

Then disaster (almost) struck: after playing an import game from the usb (Xenoblade), next time he powered up his Wii, after the health and whatever screen, the message "System Files are Corrupted" appeared. No rebboting or resetting or name calling changed it. After some panic and before trying anything else, we popped in his original copy of New Super Mario Bros in the DVD drive. The Wii powered up, the System Menu loaded as normal, all settings acessible, all good. Heavy using and testing before, everything looks fine.

He deleted Xenoblade for good from his HD (he can't speak japanese anyways), but some questions remain:

1- Is there any relationship between the two things (USB Loader, import game and semi-brick)? Or it's just a bad coincidence, and his NAND is starting to (physically) fail?
2- The Super Mario Bros trick worked because it contains the 4.2 sys menu update, or it worked because of the modchip? Or it was just another coincidence?
4- This same Xenoblade runs fine on my Wii and HD. I have no modchip, but my Wii is an USA Sysmenu 3.3. Is there some risk involved? For turning the Wii off directly, for example? I don't really remember what I do when I finish playing, but I think that I exit using the home button, then I turn off the Wii. Dunno.

Anyway, this problem is solved, but I just wanted to share the info. I think there's no relationship between the two things (cfg loader and the semi-brick), but I'm still trying to understand it.

Oh, I've posted here in the case it's loader related issue. If it's not, this post can be moved elsewhere, ok?

Thanks everyone

PS.: This friend's Wii has Priiloader installed, but it wasn't necessary to recover using it.

Se eu fosse você/seus amigos eu usaria o WiiFlow 2.1 cara, tem menos frescuras quanto a carregamentos de jogos. E tem uma compatibilidade maior do que a do CFG USB Loader.

Cara, eu já uso o Configurable a um tempão e nunca tive um problema desses... acho que foi uma coincidencia.
Não mude sua opinião por causa disso, o Configurable ainda é o melhor USB loader (olha que eu já usei vários...)

juliano.pita

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah, I'm sure that it was no cfg loader fault. But I found interesting nonethless to share... But thanks for your opinions. I'll stick with cfg loader for now. If it works, why change it? (at least, always worked on my Wii)

*writing in english in respect to other forum readers.

É pedir demais que eles entendam português...

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
MrX_Cuci said:
Is IOS58 USB support planned or is this useless with a loader?
The loader relies on waninkoko's and hermes cios for usb2 support.
If they decide to use ios58 usb then it will be used, otherwise not.

tankdagger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tankdagger said:
I'm new to this forum and using a backup loader tool with my WII. I recently acquired my WII and it included System Menu 4.3u. This morning I was able to get Homebrew 1.0.8 installed and working but now would like to add Configurable USB Loader onto it. Will the normal directions apply for my configuration? I noticed on the Homebrew site that custom IOS is frowned upon and could cause problems and that the newest version of Homebrew includes hardware access. Any help anyone could offer to get me started would be great.

Thanks!

So, I got pretty far on the setup of my Wii for Configurable USB Loader using the tutorial here: http://gwht.wikidot.com/usb-loader but when I got to the point of installing Hermes v4 I hit a snag. I attempted to select IOS222 and chose merge 37 with 38 and get a hash bad error message. Afterwards, I tried every permutation possible (223 with 38, 222 with 38, each with the 38/60 merge as well) with no luck. I even tried the NUS_Downloader and still received the same same message. I also tried going back to using the cIOS installer version 17 instead of 20 for cIOS 249 and still had no luck. Is there any known issues here or has someone run across this? I have been looking on the web the last day trying to find a solution and it seems that none of these work for me.

Thanks in advance

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
tankdagger said:
tankdagger said:

Thanks!

So, I got pretty far on the setup of my Wii for Configurable USB Loader using the tutorial here: http://gwht.wikidot.com/usb-loader but when I got to the point of installing Hermes v4 I hit a snag. I attempted to select IOS222 and chose merge 37 with 38 and get a hash bad error message. Afterwards, I tried every permutation possible (223 with 38, 222 with 38, each with the 38/60 merge as well) with no luck. I even tried the NUS_Downloader and still received the same same message. I also tried going back to using the cIOS installer version 17 instead of 20 for cIOS 249 and still had no luck. Is there any known issues here or has someone run across this? I have been looking on the web the last day trying to find a solution and it seems that none of these work for me.

Thanks in advance
There have been increasing occurrences of this error lately and I'm not completely sure what is wrong. You should be using IOS236 to install IOS222. Also, make sure you delete any folders on the SD card that are all numbers first.

dlf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably just (not) me, but do cheats as of HBC 1.0.8 not work for anyone else? I just get a black screen if I try to select / use cheats. I have only tried for Brawl so far.

tankdagger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
tankdagger said:
tankdagger said:

Thanks!

Thanks in advance
There have been increasing occurrences of this error lately and I'm not completely sure what is wrong. You should be using IOS236 to install IOS222. Also, make sure you delete any folders on the SD card that are all numbers first.

Just for clarification, in the first screen of the Hermes install I have the option to specify an IOS to use for install. By default it is IOS 249; I do change this value to 236 per the instructions on the tutorial. I also did delete the folder 00000001 and its contents prior to each attempt of the installation with no success. I also re-downloaded the installer a couple times to ensure that it was not a corrupt download. I am chomping at the bit to get this working but sadly seem to have hit a wall.

Thanks for the suggestions.

tankdagger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tankdagger said:
Dr. Clipper said:
tankdagger said:
tankdagger said:

Thanks!

Thanks in advance

Just for clarification, in the first screen of the Hermes install I have the option to specify an IOS to use for install. By default it is IOS 249; I do change this value to 236 per the instructions on the tutorial. I also did delete the folder 00000001 and its contents prior to each attempt of the installation with no success. I also re-downloaded the installer a couple times to ensure that it was not a corrupt download. I am chomping at the bit to get this working but sadly seem to have hit a wall.

Thanks for the suggestions.

If I do not plan to use usb peripherals besides the external drive for storage will I even need Hermes at this point or can i just use 249 for most games?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
tankdagger said:
If I do not plan to use usb peripherals besides the external drive for storage will I even need Hermes at this point or can i just use 249 for most games?
IOS249 base 56 actually handles the USB peripheral games too. Hence, yes, you don't need it.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
OncleJulien said:
oggzee said:
The loader relies on waninkoko's and hermes cios for usb2 support.
If they decide to use ios58 usb then it will be used, otherwise not.
any plans to access the storage directly, using AHBPROT?
That doesn't allow you to change the currently running IOS. You need to change the IOS to make it redirect the disc calls to the hard drive.

I guess it could be used to allow Cfg to be launched without a cIOS, but I can't think of much use for that apart from disc loading and I doubt the Nintendo IOSes support disc ripping.

rafao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
YuriCPS said:
rafao said:
juliano.pita said:

Thanks everyone

Cara, eu já uso o Configurable a um tempão e nunca tive um problema desses... acho que foi uma coincidencia.
Não mude sua opinião por causa disso, o Configurable ainda é o melhor USB loader (olha que eu já usei vários...)

Já que você falou isso com tanta convicção irei testar o Cfg Loader 57 neste fim de semana. A única coisa que tenho dificuldade é o carregamento dos "alt dols" pois não sei qual diretório do SD.

English:

How path for alternative dols in Configurable USB Loader 57 ?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
rafao said:
English:

Are you asking, "What is the path?"

If so, there is no path needed as it finds them automatically within the disc image of the game on the drive.

For instructions to use the feature, click here.

Remfin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
That doesn't allow you to change the currently running IOS. You need to change the IOS to make it redirect the disc calls to the hard drive.

I guess it could be used to allow Cfg to be launched without a cIOS, but I can't think of much use for that apart from disc loading and I doubt the Nintendo IOSes support disc ripping.
Actually, it does let you change the currently running IOS, that's part of the appeal...

rafao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Dr. Clipper said:
rafao said:
English:

Are you asking, "What is the path?"

If so, there is no path needed as it finds them automatically within the disc image of the game on the drive.

For instructions to use the feature, click here.

I'm speak how folder i put my alt dol files.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
rafao said:
I'm speak how folder i put my alt dol files.
I'm saying you don't need any.

If you want to use the SD method with external dols, it is linked to on the page I linked earlier. You just put them in the base directory named via the game name. However, there is nothing that I know of that would benefit from that old procedure.

tankdagger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
tankdagger said:
IOS249 base 56 actually handles the USB peripheral games too. Hence, yes, you don't need it.

Worked like a charm. Now I can move all my titles onto the hard drive and stop pouring through stacks of games to find them.

Thanks everyone!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Back when I was playing kakarot I looked up one little guide now all I see is dbz stuff