Hacking Configurable USB Loader

cola1bear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
George Dawes said:
cola1bear said:
Shows 57v4 249[FRAG] when starting up, then goes into the 30 second count down and errors out. Error: (RET = -1)
1. Update IOS249 rev19 (from 14)
Have you tried switching usb sockets on the wii? iirc rev14 still used the innermost socket, rev19 uses the one closest to the outer edge.
Yes, tried both ports on the back. Same error.

Thanks for reading my issue.

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
No idea then, my MP3 player (that contains a 30gb Toshiba 1.8" HD) used to work fine with cios249/usb loader config, but after updating it no longer works as well - if it is plugged in when I start cfg it doesn't mount, and if I try to mount in the options it just makes the 30second countdown go very slow (like 5-10seconds per "second).

What I now have to do is leave it unplugged, start cfg, try to manually mount in the options, wait a few seconds then plug the drive in. After that it works fine.

Not tried setting the loader to use 222-version (whilst games stay on 249), but I imagine that may work - though I very rarely use that drive, so haven't tried.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
cola1bear said:
Hello,
I’m not new to this forum but I have waited until now to post a question.
Everything was running fine until I did three things… Now the configurable loader will not see my USB hard drive (WD My Passport) – Shows 57v4 249[FRAG] when starting up, then goes into the 30 second count down and errors out. Error: (RET = -1)

1. Update IOS249 rev19 (from 14)
2. Update IOS202-222 v5 (from – I think 3?)
I followed the instructions from WiiBricker using the tools in his tutorial (see link)
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=212497&hl=IOS249
I did have problems at 9 thru 11 as it would say it was complete but show and error.

3. Update to CFG Loader 57v5

My Wii is at 4.2U (also loading off WBFS on usb drive)
I run through HomeBrew and have had no problems for a long time, all my games have loaded and run fine including using cheats.
What do I need to do to get this thing back on track to seeing the USB drive?
If it errored during steps 9 through 11, then you haven't installed IOS249 rev 19 properly. Follow this guide instead. You should be able to follow the updating instructions near the end, but if not, a fresh install is safe as well.

QUOTE(dmau1982 @ Jun 7 2010, 07:43 AM) Thanks for your help! The second way boots now (not sure why it wouldn't earlier) but still doesn't work. I've tried it with the usb-loader/covers folder copied over from the SD card; with the usb-loader/covers folder existing but empty and also with the FAT32 partition entirely empty. It won't read the covers if they're already there, and if I tell it to download them, it says it can't create the directories.

Not sure if these are relevant but few things I probably should've mentioned first: I'm using Configurable USB Loader r56 222-mload, with Hermes v5.1 222 base 38. Any version of Waninkoko 249s won't work for booting the USB loaders, they seems to fail at initializing the hard drive. My drive is partitioned with a small FAT32 partition and a large WBFS partition (which Configurable USB Loader has no problem reading/writing). I'm not certain how I set the primary/logical things on the partitions -- could that be an issue?
If you go to the partition selection page in Cfg (go to global options by pushing 1 twice then select partition and push right), how is the FAT partition reported? The primary stuff is unnecessary. And ensure you have the usb-loader directory correctly named in both config.txt and the drive and that it is in the root of the drive. Another thing to check would be to put "covers_path=usb:/" and try downloading as then it will definitely be able to create the directories.

dmau1982

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
If you go to the partition selection page in Cfg (go to global options by pushing 1 twice then select partition and push right), how is the FAT partition reported? The primary stuff is unnecessary. And ensure you have the usb-loader directory correctly named in both config.txt and the drive and that it is in the root of the drive. Another thing to check would be to put "covers_path=usb:/" and try downloading as then it will definitely be able to create the directories.

The FAT32 partition showed up as P#1, FAT1, the correct size, "usb:/" in the mount column, nothing under "USED". If I select FAT1, it doesn't throw an error (but there's no games on it so obviously just shows a blank screen). Checked for typos, that wasn't it.

I saw a post of yours from a while back in this thread talking to someone else who had the "can't create dir" issue and there was a suggestion of moving the entire usb-loader folder from the SD to the hard drive, so I tried that and it looked like same results in that case -- it could see that FAT32 partition, but I think it couldn't even read from it because none of my configs carried over, looked like it didn't find config.txt so everything reverted to defaults.

It's not a big deal to me so I've already just deleted the FAT partition from the drive and gone back to storing covers on the SD card. Appreciate your efforts though!

cola1bear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
If it errored during steps 9 through 11, then you haven't installed IOS249 rev 19 properly. Follow this guide instead. You should be able to follow the updating instructions near the end, but if not, a fresh install is safe as well.
Thank you, Dr. Clipper, for taking time to help me.

Back up and running, all is good now.
You guys have been doing a great job on this loader and with the support you provide. Please keep up the good work.
I love this loader. It's great because it keeps the kids (and wife) from scratching up the disc's.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
dmau1982 said:
Dr. Clipper said:

The FAT32 partition showed up as P#1, FAT1, the correct size, "usb:/" in the mount column, nothing under "USED". If I select FAT1, it doesn't throw an error (but there's no games on it so obviously just shows a blank screen). Checked for typos, that wasn't it.

I saw a post of yours from a while back in this thread talking to someone else who had the "can't create dir" issue and there was a suggestion of moving the entire usb-loader folder from the SD to the hard drive, so I tried that and it looked like same results in that case -- it could see that FAT32 partition, but I think it couldn't even read from it because none of my configs carried over, looked like it didn't find config.txt so everything reverted to defaults.

It's not a big deal to me so I've already just deleted the FAT partition from the drive and gone back to storing covers on the SD card. Appreciate your efforts though!

Keep in mind that you should still have been editing config.txt as well. Or made sure that there was no config.txt on the SD card still (the search order is sd:/usb-loader, usb:/usb-loader, apps subdirectory) and you might have a second config.txt resetting the covers option to something different. Check the global options page to find out which directory it is loading config.txt from (listed as Cfg Base) and if there is an additional config file.

QUOTE(air2004 @ Jun 7 2010, 12:22 PM)
need help , the mic isnt found when loading rock band through the usb loader ...my usb loader will only work on the outer edge usb port
You need to use an IOS that includes features of IOS37. So use IOS249 rev 19 with base 37 or Hermes' IOS 222v4 or 223v4 with base of 37 merged with 38 for that game.

schooluser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, after reading back a bit I am confused, I have v54-fat something or other, and my super mario galaxy 2 works fine(i didn't even know there were problems with this one), also cod mw reflex, and every other game I have, but pop doesn't work. I was reading this thread to see if the latest version works for it, but I see people saying cheats don't work on the latest version. Is there a quick list of what games/features work and don't work with the latest version that it would update to if I update within the loader so I can see if it's worth it?

mattesno1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to use HQ full covers? I love the feature to be able to look at the back of a Box, but it is quite impossible to read the text on it. Also, it would be pretty cool if you were able to zoom in on the back to be able to properly read the text.

Another thing: When you want to start a game and the WiiTDB game details show up the text is cut to fit in the console. It would be nice to be able to scroll the text rather than it beeing cut. If that were possible you could also maintain line breaks from the description, as there would then be virtually unlimited space for text.
I have quite a few SingItStar compilations on my harddrive. It would be nice to be able to read the whole tracklist provided in the description from WiiTDB whith line breaks. (as one example)

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
mattesno1 said:
Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to use HQ full covers? I love the feature to be able to look at the back of a Box, but it is quite impossible to read the text on it. Also, it would be pretty cool if you were able to zoom in on the back to be able to properly read the text.

Another thing: When you want to start a game and the WiiTDB game details show up the text is cut to fit in the console. It would be nice to be able to scroll the text rather than it beeing cut. If that were possible you could also maintain line breaks from the description, as there would then be virtually unlimited space for text.
I have quite a few SingItStar compilations on my harddrive. It would be nice to be able to read the whole tracklist provided in the description from WiiTDB whith line breaks. (as one example)
You can make it download and use HQ covers by adding:

CODEcover_url_full =
cover_url_full =+ http://wiitdb.com/wiitdb/artwork/coverfullhq/{CC}/{ID6}.png
cover_url_full =+ http://wiitdb.com/wiitdb/artwork/coverfull/{CC}/{ID6}.png

However, the covers will just be slightly more readable at the Wii's resolution. Usptactical has a work in progress that will add a zoom to the GUI, but it might take a while until it is ready.

As for the synopses, I'll have to leave that one for gannon to answer...

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
cfg v57b6 (beta6)
cfg57b6.dol
cfg57b6-222.dol
(or online update)
Changes:

cfg v57b6 (beta6)
* new option: select = [previous], start, middle, end,
most, least, random
Selects which game is picked by default on startup.
The new default is the previous game played (to get old
operation, set select=start).
'start', 'middle' and 'end' refer to position in the list.
'most' and 'least' refer to number of plays (in Cfg).
'random' selects a different game each time.
* new button action: random
Selects a different game at random from the current list
To use, assign to a button, like button_Z=random
* Title/alphabetical sorting made case insensitive (oggzee)
* clear_patches save bug fixed
* cheat bug fixed

usptactical's theme previews will still be out soon, but I was getting a little bored of delaying this release until they are finished, so here it is.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
mattesno1 said:
Is there any chance you could send me the source of the current beta?
I'd like to apply a couple of personal adjustments.
Sources of the betas generally aren't released. Come to chat and discuss it and perhaps we can work something out.

hackotedelaplaqu

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
France
I think I have found a (good) request (at least for me).
I wish USBLoaderCfg give you the ability to automaticaly delete covers if the game has been removed from HDD.

Like most euro users, I often use NTSC isos before the game is released here, then I switch to PAL version and remove the NTSC one to make room.
But my sd card is messed up with ntsc and pal covers and I have to remove them manually.

Ogzze, Dr Clipper, could you add this option "delete covers if gameid is not found in hdd" ?

Thanks.

WAIKIKI728

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dr. Clipper said:
cfg v57b6 (beta6)
[........................................................

usptactical's theme previews will still be out soon,.......................

but I was getting a little bored of delaying this release until they are finished, so here it is.......................................

Thanks a lot for this.....
yaywii.gif
yaywii.gif

....Now i can play without problems the channel i did for PoP.....
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a huge loss? Lol