TyRaNtM

I did some projects..
Trophies
Website
www.power-ups.net
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Awesome news. FAT32 support is a incredible feature.
But, the huge problem is that needs cIOS 222/223. Yeah, is because 249 doesn't support FAT32 (yet..), but the problem is that nearly all things that use a cIOS, is with 249.

Maybe if somebody ask to Waninkoko to launch a new cIOS version (updates and cIOS he still do), he can launch a version with FAT32 support (or if source code exist, somebody add that feature).

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
TyRaNtM said:
Awesome news. FAT32 support is a incredible feature.
But, the huge problem is that needs cIOS 222/223. Yeah, is because 249 doesn't support FAT32 (yet..), but the problem is that nearly all things that use a cIOS, is with 249.

Maybe if somebody ask to Waninkoko to launch a new cIOS version (updates and cIOS he still do), he can launch a version with FAT32 support (or if source code exist, somebody add that feature).
What's the problem? You don't have to delete IOS249 to install Hermes' IOS, so all the apps that require it still work. Hermes' IOS222/223 also works with every game that IOS249 does, and there are some that only work with IOS222/223. The only things IOS249 has over IOS222/223 is faster disc ripping within the loader, and you can actually use IOS249 to install your games to FAT if you like (except for dual layer games with rev 14).

Sacohen9665

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
The WBFS container is a true stroke of genius! You guys really never cease to amaze me.

With this new development, I would now consider Waninkoko's cIOS to be the inferior custom IOS at this point....with Hermes cIOS actually being ABLE to read/utilize FAT32 for image playback. Would the consideration now be made to make this cIOS the default for CFG, and IOS249 the adjustable cIOS in the config.txt? It only makes sense, as I can see many people converting as soon as they see the true benefit of a standard file system in use. Just my personal opinion of course....

I agree with Zektor, I don't use cISO 249 at all any more.

EnioMarcos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Thank you very very very much!

I'm playing with WBFS partitions from the begining but I hate WBFS partitions. It's so alien!

Now, with your solution, everything is more clear and elegant.

Wonderful Job! Again: Thank you!

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
cfg v46a2 (alpha2)
(or online update)

http://sharebee.com/50db679b

Changes:

* Faster loading of game list from a fat partition - should be instant now.
The only thing that has a slight delay is showing the hdd free space
in console mode game list (if it is enabled)

* Create game info file after installing on a FAT partition named:
usb:/wbfs/GAMEID_TITLE.txt This makes it easier to tell the titles
of installed games when using a filesystem explorer

* Rephrased the warning message when no WBFS partition found
* Allow to select partition if no wbfs partition is found and disable_format is on.
* Minor cleanups in partition selection

cfg v46a (alpha)

* Loading games from a FAT32 partitions. The game file has to
be located and named like this: usb:/wbfs/GAMEID.wbfs

LxTrix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone wants to format a drive to fat32 and is having trouble there is a program that is called fat32format. All you have to do to run it is put it in your c drive. Open cmd prompt. change directory to c and then type in fat32format h or whatever drive letter you want to format. It'll ask you to confirm and will run for a minute then will be done.

quepaso

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LxTrix said:
If anyone wants to format a drive to fat32 and is having trouble there is a program that is called fat32format. All you have to do to run it is put it in your c drive. Open cmd prompt. change directory to c and then type in fat32format h or whatever drive letter you want to format. It'll ask you to confirm and will run for a minute then will be done.

It is the only software to use for FAT32 stuff. Works great. Going to update CFG to a2 now!

Quick edit -

Just removed my old forwarder, and upgraded to the newest NForwarder in the OP, and everything works perfectly, 223-mload is default. I then upgraded to A2, and literally, the games show up INSTANTLY! Amazing work!! I am sure that eventually it will just boot to the FAT32 drive without pressing anything, and this software will be 100%. Again, you guys kick booty.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GREAT update. Nearly 300 games, and they come up instantly
smile.gif

I had a quick question now. I recall that there was a 500 game limit in the past. Was this a wbfs limitation? Does the Fat32 implementation allow for more than 500 titles?

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
zektor said:
GREAT update. Nearly 300 games, and they come up instantly
smile.gif

I had a quick question now. I recall that there was a 500 game limit in the past. Was this a wbfs limitation? Does the Fat32 implementation allow for more than 500 titles?

i shouldnt see why not, if it was the case woudnt that limit the total number of files on the FAT32 to 500 or would it localize to the /wbfs folder??

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quepaso said:
I am sure that eventually it will just boot to the FAT32 drive without pressing anything, and this software will be 100%. Again, you guys kick booty.

default_fs = fat32

That would be a handy config.txt option down the road
wink.gif

I just have to thank everyone involved AGAIN for this update. It is wonderful to be able to handle these files in a FAT32 environment. All WBFS managers are now removed from my PC. I can just never look back
wink.gif

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oggzee said:
* Faster loading of game list from a fat partition - should be instant now.
The only thing that has a slight delay is showing the hdd free space
in console mode game list (if it is enabled)

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the config setting to disable showing hdd free space? It takes a LONG time if I switch to console mode on my end.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
zektor said:
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the config setting to disable showing hdd free space? It takes a LONG time if I switch to console mode on my end.
hide_hddinfo = 1

And the new option for selecting partition will actually be:
partition = [WBFS1], WBFS2, WBFS3, WBFS4, FAT1, FAT2, ..., FAT9

And will be available both as a global option in config.txt and as a global setting in settings.cfg. I've already got Configurator v46 ready to go with the new option, just waiting for oggzee to add it to the loader for release.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
zektor said:
hide_hddinfo = 1

And the new option for selecting partition will actually be:
partition = [WBFS1], WBFS2, WBFS3, WBFS4, FAT1, FAT2, ..., FAT9

And will be available both as a global option in config.txt and as a global setting in settings.cfg. I've already got Configurator v46 ready to go with the new option, just waiting for oggzee to add it to the loader for release.

Very very nice
wink.gif
Thanks for the info man!

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
mjc2002 said:
46a2 crashed...... luckey i had 44 hybrid on usb
How did it crash? Can you make it repeat? If it was a DSI error, write down or photograph the numbers in the "Stack Dump" section and post them here and oggzee can likely figure out what went wrong.

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mgrimmenator said:
just fyi. I convert one title to see how it goes.

converted 1.62gig file in 46sec

new file on disc is 1.59gig

looks like this may even save a little more space. Great job.
Yes, well now that you can choose what cluster size you want to use when formatting to FAT32, you can choose a smaller size that will provide more efficient storage, or a larger size that should provide faster reading from the drive. WBFS has to fit the number of clusters (or sectors) into a 16-bit value, so the larger your WBFS partition is, the less efficient the storage is. When I went from a 450GB to a 900GB WBFS partition, each game increased in size by 24 or 32MB, if my memory serves me correctly.
smile.gif

Now to get my friend's 1TB hard drive (which I put ~300 games on to) back over here so I can format mine to FAT32 and rip the games off hers. I'll tell her I need it to add some of the recent releases.
laugh.gif

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skizzo said:
Now to get my friend's 1TB hard drive (which I put ~300 games on to) back over here so I can format mine to FAT32 and rip the games off hers. I'll tell her I need it to add some of the recent releases.
laugh.gif

You can be a nice guy and format hers FAT32 afterward and copy them back if you have an extra 12 hours to spare after your copy
wink.gif

TeenTin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I have a question :

For a FAT32 HD, how can I put the double layer games (e.g. SSBB) which is about 8GB into it ?

N.B. Biggest file in FAT32 is 4GB.

Thanks !

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
TeenTin said:
I have a question :

For a FAT32 HD, how can I put the double layer games (e.g. SSBB) which is about 8GB into it ?

N.B. Biggest file in FAT32 is 4GB.

Thanks !
Either rip it in the loader or use the command line app to convert it. Games need to be split into segments of less than 2GB and that is doen for you by both the loader and wbfs_file.

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oggzee said:
Ovitz said:
Any way to do this on a Mac?
Someone will need to build the tool on macosx, i think very minor changes would be required to make it work.

I would try to compile it as soon as I find the source here
wink.gif

EDIT: needs to many windows specific functions for a quick compile (winsocks and the whole shit).
mgrimmenator said:
Ovitz said:
QUOTE(oggzee @ Oct 25 2009, 09:24 PM)
Someone will need to build the tool on macosx, i think very minor changes would be required to make it work.

Thanks for the quick answer. Loving the tool on Windows, but I only have a really old Windows laptop. I look forward to future updates.

can you not just run bootcamp windows to do what you need?
Do you own a Mac? You need to buy Windows to use it in Bootcamp, if he has a PPC MAc he can't run Windows and if he can run it it would be a little bit overkill just to run this little tool, wouldn't it?

By the way: Why don't the authors work together with Wiim? He made some great tool and a great file format, if you work together and add splitting to his format you wouldn't need a whole bunch of new tools. His tools support all features you'd need (converting from the wbfs drive into files, iso files to smaller files, backward and so on). A great plus is that it already compiles on Linux/OS X and Cygwin.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.