Hacking Configurable USB Loader

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Sacohen9665:
yes, probably without the date and without the writing in corners.
version number is a good idea
correct, only png is supported at the moment
animations for the intro are out of the question

Deleted member 199854

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
milcoi said:
I couldn't resist making a bootmii look a like.

bootmiiconfigloader.png

Looks pretty good, but only one thing. The "C" is capitalized, but yet the "U" and "L" are not. Looking at the HBC icon in your sig, it looks like all three words are all lower case. And the little "bootmii" icon has what looks like a C and an F together. Or maybe it's an L. And then last but not least, you should use the same font for all miscellaneous text, i.e "ConfigLoader", and ConfigUSBloader 2009.

Looks nice and shiny though. Love the huge logo.

cambric

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
milcoi said:
I couldn't resist making a bootmii look a like.

bootmiiconfigloader.png

The big logo is very good, I like it, but either you use "configurable usb loader" or "Configurable USB Loader", I mean either you use capital letter or not...

In the bottom you also use the two more names "ConfigLoader" and "ConfigUSBloader"... three names for the same loader is too much, maybe two are good, a long one and a short one.... maybe "Configurable USB Loader" and "ConfigLoader" are enough...

In any case, I can hardly wait to see this new image on my TV...

GimmeWii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Here's some additional information oggzee requested about running games from a "NAS":
http://www.eltima.com/products/usb-over-ethernet/
http://www.lvr.com/mass_storage.htm
http://hackndev.com/node/86

I asked my friend and he said it's only possible in Linux. You emulate a USB-harddrive with some of the project above.

You don't need to something special on the Wii. So it's already supported.

Two reasons why we don't try it. I don't have a Wii. He doesn't have the USB-cable. Anyone else with Linuxbox, an internal harddrive, a Wii with HBC and a USB-cable? It would be awesome to see if that would work. Imagine a box, a couple of harddrives and support for multiple WBFS. Harddrive will be better cooled, more silent and the possibility to have so many drives you can afford.

And I also heard it's possible to play NTSC on PAL if you scrubb the game first. But I heard it. Try it on own risk.

GimmeWii

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Added entry:

Some known issues and suggestions that are frequently asked about:

* Black bar at the bottom of screen in console mode with 576i video mode
* Banner animations or icons
* GUI settings
* GUI game start screen
* New Gecko OS 1.9.x (aka Ocarina 2)
* GC and other controllers
* GC / DVD / HBC launcher
* Installing games over network (NO)
* Multiple wbfs partitions support
* Automatic download/update of titles, themes,...
* Spinning discs
* NAND emulation
* Screensaver
* HQ cover zooming
* Coverflow Grid mode
* Genres, Profiles
* Disable intro screen

The list is here just so we can tone down the number of repeated requests on the forum
We might or might not work on any of the listed items.[/p]

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
GimmeWii said:
Here's some additional information oggzee requested about running games from a "NAS":

I asked my friend and he said it's only possible in Linux. You emulate a USB-harddrive with some of the project above.

Two reasons why we don't try it. I don't have a Wii. He doesn't have the USB-cable. Anyone else with Linuxbox, an internal harddrive, a Wii with HBC and a USB-cable? It would be awesome to see if that would work. Imagine a box, a couple of harddrives and support for multiple WBFS. Harddrive will be better cooled, more silent and the possibility to have so many drives you can afford.

And I also heard it's possible to play NTSC on PAL if you scrubb the game first. But I heard it. Try it on own risk.

GimmeWii
Looks like you don't know what you are talking about.
From your requests it's not even clear if this is a hardware or software thing?
1st link says windows is the only supported.
2nd link is for linux, as also your friend says
3rd link is about generic usb storage technology afaik?
And from this you deduce that:
"You don't need to something special on the Wii. So it's already supported."
what logic is this?
how is it already supported?
supported by whom?

If you don't have a Wii, why are you requesting anything at all then?
You can't just connect machines together over usb with a "normal usb cable" there is no such thing, it would mean a cable that has a type A connector on both sides, without special logic bridge. Let me quote an article:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/248
QUOTEThere are the so-called A/A USB cables that, in spite of having two standard USB connectors at each end, don’t have a bridge chip and cannot be used to connect two PCs. In fact, if you use an A/A USB cable you can burn the USB ports of your computers or even their power supplies. So, these A/A USB cables are completely useless.
As can be seen above, there exists special A/A cables with a network bridge chip at the middle, so basically you jsut have two usb-ethernet adapters directly connected. Now, we're talking about networking over usb here, not just usb anymore.

so to make that work, first we would need to add the usb-ethernet driver to ios, write the usb-storage-over-ethernet software thingie and pack all of that together so it works...

next, what drive overheating or noise are you talking about?
any external usb hdd you buy today is perfectly silent and cool.
why would you want additional wires to your pc if the drive can just sit next to the wii and you're completely independent from the pc?

and to the last comment, again you show that you don't have any clue
scrubbing allows you to compress the iso images better, which is done automatically on wbfs.
playing pal on ntsc and vice versa is nothing special with any given loader.

huh, i don't even know why i bothered to elaborate on this response that much.
in fact i'm ignoring all your future comments, so please don't bother replying.

einand

Trophies
XP
Country
oggzee said:
GimmeWii said:

GimmeWii
Looks like you don't know what you are talking about.
From your requests it's not even clear if this is a hardware or software thing?
1st link says windows is the only supported.
2nd link is for linux, as also your friend says
3rd link is about generic usb storage technology afaik?
And from this you deduce that:
"You don't need to something special on the Wii. So it's already supported."
what logic is this?
how is it already supported?
supported by whom?

If you don't have a Wii, why are you requesting anything at all then?
You can't just connect machines together over usb with a "normal usb cable" there is no such thing, it would mean a cable that has a type A connector on both sides, without special logic bridge. Let me quote an article:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/248
QUOTEThere are the so-called A/A USB cables that, in spite of having two standard USB connectors at each end, don’t have a bridge chip and cannot be used to connect two PCs. In fact, if you use an A/A USB cable you can burn the USB ports of your computers or even their power supplies. So, these A/A USB cables are completely useless.
As can be seen above, there exists special A/A cables with a network bridge chip at the middle, so basically you jsut have two usb-ethernet adapters directly connected. Now, we're talking about networking over usb here, not just usb anymore.

so to make that work, first we would need to add the usb-ethernet driver to ios, write the usb-storage-over-ethernet software thingie and pack all of that together so it works...

next, what drive overheating or noise are you talking about?
any external usb hdd you buy today is perfectly silent and cool.
why would you want additional wires to your pc if the drive can just sit next to the wii and you're completely independent from the pc?

and to the last comment, again you show that you don't have any clue
scrubbing allows you to compress the iso images better, which is done automatically on wbfs.
playing pal on ntsc and vice versa is nothing special with any given loader.

huh, i don't even know why i bothered to elaborate on this response that much.
in fact i'm ignoring all your future comments, so please don't bother replying.

As you my know, Linux can work as UMS-client. There is nothing that stops you from bulding a USMnetwork gateway
There are even NAS machins that can be accest like a UMS device, and over the network.

So, ether you can bild a x86 (or cheaper) arm cpu that works like an UMS device (i can even use my mobile phone for this if i can get it to work with wbfs)
i hade an old pc with out network acces. i did put my phone to the usb port then transferd the files to the phone(UMS device) over wifi and then i hade full access to the file form the other client. Så my goal is to do the same on a degicaded device with wbfs support.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
einand said:
As you my know, Linux can work as UMS-client. There is nothing that stops you from bulding a USMnetwork gateway
There are even NAS machins that can be accest like a UMS device, and over the network.

So, ether you can bild a x86 (or cheaper) arm cpu that works like an UMS device (i can even use my mobile phone for this if i can get it to work with wbfs)
i hade an old pc with out network acces. i did put my phone to the usb port then transferd the files to the phone(UMS device) over wifi and then i hade full access to the file form the other client. Så my goal is to do the same on a degicaded device with wbfs support.
As you seem to not know, the usb loader is not running on Linux, the IOS is not Linux.
So, whatever, go ahead and implement all of that functionality if you think it's that easy.

Sacohen9665

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oggzee said:
Sacohen9665:
correct, only png is supported at the moment
animations for the intro are out of the question

That's to bad.

I'm a video editor by trade and I would like to be able to lend something to this project, unfortunately I don't know coding.

Well keep up the great work.

einand

Trophies
XP
Country
oggzee said:
einand said:

As you seem to not know, the usb loader is not running on Linux, the IOS is not Linux.
So, whatever, go ahead and implement all of that functionality if you think it's that easy.

I think you missunderstand me, The UMSnetwork device will be found on the wii as an UMS device (usb stick/hardrive).
Due the fact i designs this kind of devices for living i know its posiable. You will not need any drivers at all on the device as long as it can read ordinary usb masstorage devices (UMS). So I will not change any software or hardeware on the wii, i just emulate a usb drive.

usptactical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
einand said:
I think you missunderstand me, The UMSnetwork device will be found on the wii as an UMS device (usb stick/hardrive).
Due the fact i designs this kind of devices for living i know its posiable. You will not need any drivers at all on the device as long as it can read ordinary usb masstorage devices (UMS). So I will not change any software or hardeware on the wii, i just emulate a usb drive.

I think it all comes down to this:

oggzee said:
QUOTE(GimmeWii @ Oct 8 2009, 09:58 PM) Cause as I wrote in another thread, it might be possible to use USB-host on a computer and connect to the Wii via USB-cable. And then it would be awesome to be able to have support for more than one WBFS-partion.
It will be similar like an external harddrive, just that the harddrive(s) are in a computer instead. Better cooling too.
GimmeWii
How do you do that? If that is possible, you can first make it work with just one partition, right?
Tell you what, make that work first and then i'll add multiple wbfs partition support.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi there,

do you have the new Ocarina engine yet? How about the .txt parsing stuff required for Brawl+?

NeoGamma(R8 beta3) has the new Ocarina engine running, but no code for the .txt file yet.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
WiiPower said:
Hi there,

do you have the new Ocarina engine yet? How about the .txt parsing stuff required for Brawl+?

NeoGamma(R8 beta3) has the new Ocarina engine running, but no code for the .txt file yet.

Good job!

Sure, here's the ocarina .txt parsing, .gct creation and selection menu from cfg loader:

http://pastebin.com/m5b2d6089

take anything you need.
oh, btw, i don't handle variable XXXX fields, just on/off for complete cheat sections.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm not speaking about the .gct creation. I meant the file that tells which hook to use for which game, where to write the Ocarina codes to, and setting values in memory before starting the game.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
WiiPower said:
I'm not speaking about the .gct creation. I meant the file that tells which hook to use for which game, where to write the Ocarina codes to, and setting values in memory before starting the game.
Oh sorry, no I don't have that.
I'm not much into cheating, so i didn't even knew there was such a file
wink.gif

bnm81002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
Raziel5000 said:
I have a 50" LG plasma tv and all of my other Pal games play just fine on my ntsc wii, but scrabble (Pal) will not play, i have triple checked my settings and nothing is working. anyone else having this issue or know a fix? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Do you use 480p? If so, try setting video=ntsc AND video_patch=all.

I tried it but it wouldn't work for me, still a black screen
frown.gif

stingray1059

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
QUOTE(Raziel5000 @ Oct 9 2009, 12:43 PM)
I have a 50" LG plasma tv and all of my other Pal games play just fine on my ntsc wii, but scrabble (Pal) will not play, i have triple checked my settings and nothing is working. anyone else having this issue or know a fix? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

these are my settings for scrabble PAL.

force NTSC
enable 002 fix

anyway its not a good game though compared to PSP's EA SCRABBLE. try FAMILY FEUD 2010, its the one im playing now.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
oggzee said:
WiiPower said:
Oh sorry, no I don't have that.
I'm not much into cheating, so i didn't even knew there was such a file
wink.gif

Ok. If you want the new Ocarina engine, i recommend copying it from NeoGamma. It's scattered over 3-4 functions in Gecko OS. You only need to take care that you load the code handler first and then Ocarina, as both are overlapping in memory. Then patch the .dol, because it does stuff to 0x1800, it either needs the code handler there, or writes something there, i forgot. Also the .dol has to be in the right place and not in a buffer when you patch it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.