Hacking Configurable USB Loader

MadBob

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All this messing about and it is simply CFG Loader that cannot run CODBO, I have just (with no messing at all) got it loading perfectly with neogamma r6 (hadn't used it in ages). CFG loader simply hangs before the loading screen (inside CFG loader), or with messing with different cISOs hangs at the loading... screen.

no idea what is causing this but it isn't my Wii as I originally thought.

Budweiser

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MadBob said:
All this messing about and it is simply CFG Loader that cannot run CODBO, I have just (with no messing at all) got it loading perfectly with newgamme r6 (hadn't used it in ages). CFG loader simply hangs before the loading screen (inside CFG loader), or with messing with different cISOs hangs at the loading... screen.

no idea what is causing this but it isn't my Wii as I originally thought.

CFG Loader runs CODBO just fine -- start reading back a few pages to see

MadBob

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes I read that and that is why for three days or so I have been trying everything to get it running. NeoGamma runs it using the same cIOS that CFG doesn't load with.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
lettuce said:
Ive tried everything, the only way im able to get the covers to display and not crash when i download a new cover is if i leave the config file so that the covers are stored on the SD card and not the USB. If its 'SD:/usb-loader/covers' then it works but as soon as i change it to 'USB:/usb-loader/covers' it doesnt display covers and crashes when i try and download new covers - any ideas what so ever?

Also it seems to always load to the Game list GUI and i press 'B' to go back to the defualt setting of 3D coverflow that i have set in the config file why is this, i would like it to load to the 3Dcoverflow gui upon startup

Whats the difference between the,' setting.cfg' and 'config.txt' file, dont they do the same thing?
If your drive is ntfs, do you have ntfs_write=1 in config.txt? Also, NTFS drives seem to prefer lower case directories when used with Cfg, so maybe it's that. Otherwise, I'm not sure why it is crashing.

As for loading to coverflow, you want to add gui=start to config.txt.

settings.cfg stores your per-game options, your profiles and overrides for the few select options that are settable within Cfg itself (like theme, partition etc. on the Global Options page). config.txt is the one used to configure the other 100 or so options that can appear.

chaoticyeshua said:
Hey guys. I'd first like to say thanks a lot for this awesome app. I really appreciate the hard work you put into it.

I had a quick question though. I asked once before a while back about Riivolution-like support and was told that it would be looked into. I am just curious if there has been any progress or information regarding that. I know it'd be awesome to use for a lot of games. The ones that specifically come to mind are New Super Mario Bros. Wii for the new levels and also Brawl (for... everything). The file patch code for Brawl is amazing but in its current form it only does so much. Unfortunately, PhantomWings (the creator of the file patch code) has since left the scene and it is up to someone else to continue his work. The ones that know how to are busy with other projects (the clone engine, codes for Project M, etc.). Riivolution is a tool that is being used more and more frequently in the Brawl hacking scene and the only method to easily replace sound effects in the game is by using it. With the advent of the clone engine to add new characters to the game, I'm sure many would very much so like to add sound effects for the new characters. The current file patch code does not support swapping sound effects. Of course this is a problem for those who can't or don't want to use Riivolution, whether it be due to their disc drive being broken or (like me) the fact that USB loaders are just so much faster than using the disc.

I know it's a lot to ask for one scene, but I'm sure it would benefit many people if such functionality could be coded into Configurable USB Loader. I love this app. It is almost perfect.

Thanks again for your hard work!
Sorry, it's too hard to integrate this setup along with Cfg.

Ato Puro said:
I have the very same problem lettuce's having. I can't get CFG USB Loader to load files (config/settings) from HDD. I checked both config.txt and settings.cfg on Notepad and they show "device = USB". I can't get covers, update theme, CFG or anything else without SD card inserted, because it'll show a SD:/usb-loader/etc. could not be written/found (can't find the exactly word). If I go to Global Options, it shows USB as device chosen and FAT1 as partition (FAT1=FAT32 400GB for .wbfs and usb-loader, FAT2=FAT32 4GB simply a SD card backup -- NAND, keys.bin, bootmii, etc. and NTFS= .ISOs and some Windows related stuff, like backup of my apps setup.exe's, etc.). No matter what I do, everything is read or written from/to the SD card. I installed Wii Sports and it was installed to my SD card. Luckily, it was just 300mb and could fit into the SD card. This brings me to the next problem...

... I can't install SSBB no matter what. I changed IOS 249 to 222-mload to no avail. I always get an error while "Opening DVD". Is it because it's dual layer disc?

and I had problems with cfg61b5.dol as well. CFG USB loader disappeared from HBC and the forwarder channel would give me a stack dump error. I went back to the previous version (I had softmodded just 2 days before using ModMii, so bunch of cIOS, Priiloader, bootmii, etc. installed) and everything is running fine again.

Furthermore, I also get the mount device error if I do not use a SD Card. In a nutshell, CFG USB Loader insists on using SD before USB. I used GAF's usb-loader tutorial, so I checked every line in the config.txt and settings.cfg for what they do and manually changed/inserted them (I find it easier than use the Configurator, goes figure...) but CFG USB Loader refuses to load anything from USB other than the theme. One extra problem is that I can't get any music to play, although I have several .mp3's in the music folder and set "music = USB:/usb-loader/music, 1" (I also tried SD instead of USB) in the config.txt.

Big help need here.
smile.gif
Make sure you don't have an additional config.txt in the same directory as the .dol. That could be undoing some stuff. Try a clean install from the v60 .zip, but put the usb-loader directory onto usb:/usb-loader while putting the apps/usbloader directory on the SD card. Do not install the GAF theme from the tutorial. It should hopefully work correctly then. As for music, the correct option format is music = usb:/usb-loader/music. Commas separate value types, they aren't meant to be included (i.e., 1 is a valid value for the field, as is a specified path). Also, make sure you use lower case values for these options. There is a possibility device=USB will not be recognised by Cfg as a valid value.

Perhaps it is a good idea to run your config.txt and settings.cfg files through the Configurator after all. It will fix some of the above problems.

QUOTE(MadBob @ Nov 25 2010, 07:17 AM)
Yes I read that and that is why for three days or so I have been trying everything to get it running. NeoGamma runs it using the same cIOS that CFG doesn't load with.
And you have tried with v61b5 of Cfg? Which cIOS would that be?

iancer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dear oggzee
i noticed that you have released a meta.xml compatible forwarder. this is a godsend, since the newest builds of scummvm for wii need the argument passed to the boot.elf in order to function. i have gathered the most awesome forwarder with splash screens and uploaded them, praying you would lend a second of your time to compile an awesome forwarder for us scummvm users as you have compiled the cfg forwarder (ios58/meta.xml). if you could please compile a meta.xml compatible forwarder dol that searched sd/usb for the path:

apps/scummvm/boot.elf

scummvmbackground Splash Screens
http://www.sendspace.com/file/neyg48

ScummVM BNS-SCUM.wad
http://www.mediafire.com/?ymnyjz0mgdi

i have provided the necessary splash screens and a wad with banners/animations:
when i load the wad in customizemii, it says the wad is PAL, if you know anyway of making a NTSC compatible wad, that wont brick wiis without priiloader installed, it would be the most appreciated.
thank you for everything sir.

Link2999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure it was mentioned before, but I'm hoping for a quick answer rather than reading through 846 pages
tongue.gif

Is there anyway I can change the default path from "D:/wbfs/GAMEID.wbfs" to some other path. I intend to use my external HD for more than just games and it's kind of messing up my organization preferences
tongue.gif
, I'd rather have something more like "D:/Documents/ROMs/Wii/GAMEID.wbfs". I'm assuming it'll be an easy file edit, but I just thought I'd ask first before trying anything.

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
Link2999 said:
I'm sure it was mentioned before, but I'm hoping for a quick answer rather than reading through 846 pages
tongue.gif

Is there anyway I can change the default path from "D:/wbfs/GAMEID.wbfs" to some other path. I intend to use my external HD for more than just games and it's kind of messing up my organization preferences
tongue.gif
, I'd rather have something more like "D:/Documents/ROMs/Wii/GAMEID.wbfs". I'm assuming it'll be an easy file edit, but I just thought I'd ask first before trying anything.
No you can't.

Pip'

Link2999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pippin666 said:
Link2999 said:
tongue.gif

tongue.gif
No you can't.

Pip'

Wow that's a downer. Oh well, guess I'll have to live with it.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
iancer said:
dear oggzee
i noticed that you have released a meta.xml compatible forwarder. this is a godsend, since the newest builds of scummvm for wii need the argument passed to the boot.elf in order to function. i have gathered the most awesome forwarder with splash screens and uploaded them, praying you would lend a second of your time to compile an awesome forwarder for us scummvm users as you have compiled the cfg forwarder (ios58/meta.xml). if you could please compile a meta.xml compatible forwarder dol that searched sd/usb for the path:
Unfortunately, you are mistaken by what oggzee's additions entail. The meta.xml support is only for the arguments section. The AHBPROT support enabled by the no_ios_reload stuff is a special feature of the HBC and they haven't shown how it is performed in my experience. If it was possible, we wouldn't need the option in meta.xml as we could just perform the same code in apps that needed it.

iancer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
understood. thank you for clearing that up. i will continue to wait for the day we can have a functional scummvm forwarder.

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
Dr. Clipper said:
lettuce said:
Ive tried everything, the only way im able to get the covers to display and not crash when i download a new cover is if i leave the config file so that the covers are stored on the SD card and not the USB. If its 'SD:/usb-loader/covers' then it works but as soon as i change it to 'USB:/usb-loader/covers' it doesnt display covers and crashes when i try and download new covers - any ideas what so ever?

Also it seems to always load to the Game list GUI and i press 'B' to go back to the defualt setting of 3D coverflow that i have set in the config file why is this, i would like it to load to the 3Dcoverflow gui upon startup

Whats the difference between the,' setting.cfg' and 'config.txt' file, dont they do the same thing?
If your drive is ntfs, do you have ntfs_write=1 in config.txt? Also, NTFS drives seem to prefer lower case directories when used with Cfg, so maybe it's that. Otherwise, I'm not sure why it is crashing.

As for loading to coverflow, you want to add gui=start to config.txt.

settings.cfg stores your per-game options, your profiles and overrides for the few select options that are settable within Cfg itself (like theme, partition etc. on the Global Options page). config.txt is the one used to configure the other 100 or so options that can appear.

Nah im using FAT partition, have tired everything you suggested and cant get the covers to display when telling them to look at USB:/usb-loader/covers via the config.txt. Its as if CFG loader doesnt see this line as it loads the covers from the SD card regardless if i have this line in or not!! I guess ill just have to have the covers on the SD card for now

I have noticed when you go into the global option and towards the bottom where is says what device your using and partition, at the top line it says 'FS: SD / USB' what does this line refer to??

EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right it appears to be a bug with the latest BETA, as i just did a fresh install using the main download on the first page which installs version 60, the covers displayed from the USB drive, as soon as i did the online update to the latest version the covers stopped displaying. So there is a bug somewhere with the latest online update

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
lettuce said:
Right it appears to be a bug with the latest BETA, as i just did a fresh install using the main download on the first page which installs version 60, the covers displayed from the USB drive, as soon as i did the online update to the latest version the covers stopped displaying. So there is a bug somewhere with the latest online update
So, you have no SD card, just an USB device?
How is it partitioned and formatted?
Are you using any extra options to specify the covers path?
Can you make a screenshot of the partition selection screen?
Can you run the latest beta in debug mode, i think it will print out also the cover dir used, can you make a screenshot of that too?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dr. Clipper said:
The AHBPROT support enabled by the no_ios_reload stuff is a special feature of the HBC and they haven't shown how it is performed in my experience. If it was possible, we wouldn't need the option in meta.xml as we could just perform the same code in apps that needed it.
Not really sure what you mean by "haven't shown how it is performed", AHBPROT is set by specific bits in HBC's TMD (as described on hackmii) and the no_ios_reload argument prevents it being lost when an app is launched. There's no magic hacks involved.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
tueidj said:
Dr. Clipper said:
The AHBPROT support enabled by the no_ios_reload stuff is a special feature of the HBC and they haven't shown how it is performed in my experience. If it was possible, we wouldn't need the option in meta.xml as we could just perform the same code in apps that needed it.
Not really sure what you mean by "haven't shown how it is performed", AHBPROT is set by specific bits in HBC's TMD (as described on hackmii) and the no_ios_reload argument prevents it being lost when an app is launched. There's no magic hacks involved.
So someone would need to create such a forwarder that has these bits enabled, I don't think that has been done yet or was it?
And then it would also need to check the extra flag in meta.xml to make it behave in the same way as HBC does.

btw, tueidj, since you're here I'll have to ask again about that new USB handling, do you have any idea why it breaks COD:BO ?
Could it be because of USB microphone?
Maybe the new USB handling doesn't clean up the USB file handles or some other status?
But does any of that USB stuff in libogc get called somewhere implicitly?
Because for USB STORAGE we use our own cios specific routines.
Hmm, maybe SD card, does that go through USB as well?
Like an internal SD-USB adapter or something?
Hmm but we have our own SD routines too, because waninkoko cios does provide a separate sdhc device...

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
oggzee said:
So someone would need to create such a forwarder that has these bits enabled, I don't think that has been done yet or was it?
And then it would also need to check the extra flag in meta.xml to make it behave in the same way as HBC does.I'm pretty sure somebody here already made a forwarder template with those bits set in the TMD.

QUOTEbtw, tueidj, since you're here I'll have to ask again about that new USB handling, do you have any idea why it breaks COD:BO ?
Could it be because of USB microphone?
Maybe the new USB handling doesn't clean up the USB file handles or some other status?
But does any of that USB stuff in libogc get called somewhere implicitly?
Because for USB STORAGE we use our own cios specific routines.
Hmm, maybe SD card, does that go through USB as well?
Like an internal SD-USB adapter or something?
Hmm but we have our own SD routines too, because waninkoko cios does provide a separate sdhc device...
wiiuse will implicitly call USB_Initialize() (the bluetooth module is a USB device) but your app is responsible for calling USB_Deinitialize().

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
tueidj said:
wiiuse will implicitly call USB_Initialize() (the bluetooth module is a USB device) but your app is responsible for calling USB_Deinitialize().
Oh, that explains it, because if the game ios option is set so that the ios is reloaded prior to game launch the wiimote is not re-initialized, so in that case i guess the bluetooth and usb_init is not done and it works. We'll have to test if doing USB_deinit solves the issue, I hope it doesn't interfere with the cios usb storage...
Thanks for the hint!

edit: hmm, it might also solve some issues with wiimote syncing that some have reported lately, although i haven't experienced any wiimote syncing problems...

edit2: ... lol it works!
biggrin.gif

so simple, thanks tueidj!
wink.gif

mooncraterx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I had done darkcorp v1.1 and rock band instruments wouldnt work.

I found this post

http://www.wiihacks.com/homebrew/8546-rock...es-softmod.html

installed the cios from post #4 and now my wii isn't seeing the hd. I ran darkcorp again and cfg loader doesn't see the hd. I didn't change anything else. windows still sees the wbfs so its not the hd.

I am also running that same config loader beta4 that was posted that fixed the corrupted console problem...

the file is
cIOS249-IOS36-rev07.wad
if that helps

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
cfg v61b6 (beta)
cfg61b6.dol
cfg61b6-222.dol
(or online update)
Changes:

cfg v61b6 (beta)
* back to libogc 1.8.5 with CODBO fix (USB deinit, thanks to tueidj)

This might also have some other effect, maybe it could solve the wiimote sync problem or maybe not, let me know if it does...

edit: Also some confirmation if codbo works for others would be nice.
By works I mean works without having to do the ios reload trick, that is having ios 249 with base 57 and the same ios used for codbo.

Ato Puro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Dr. Clipper said:
Ato Puro said:
I have the very same problem lettuce's having. I can't get CFG USB Loader to load files (config/settings) from HDD. I checked both config.txt and settings.cfg on Notepad and they show "device = USB". I can't get covers, update theme, CFG or anything else without SD card inserted, because it'll show a SD:/usb-loader/etc. could not be written/found (can't find the exactly word). If I go to Global Options, it shows USB as device chosen and FAT1 as partition (FAT1=FAT32 400GB for .wbfs and usb-loader, FAT2=FAT32 4GB simply a SD card backup -- NAND, keys.bin, bootmii, etc. and NTFS= .ISOs and some Windows related stuff, like backup of my apps setup.exe's, etc.). No matter what I do, everything is read or written from/to the SD card. I installed Wii Sports and it was installed to my SD card. Luckily, it was just 300mb and could fit into the SD card. This brings me to the next problem...

... I can't install SSBB no matter what. I changed IOS 249 to 222-mload to no avail. I always get an error while "Opening DVD". Is it because it's dual layer disc?

and I had problems with cfg61b5.dol as well. CFG USB loader disappeared from HBC and the forwarder channel would give me a stack dump error. I went back to the previous version (I had softmodded just 2 days before using ModMii, so bunch of cIOS, Priiloader, bootmii, etc. installed) and everything is running fine again.

Furthermore, I also get the mount device error if I do not use a SD Card. In a nutshell, CFG USB Loader insists on using SD before USB. I used GAF's usb-loader tutorial, so I checked every line in the config.txt and settings.cfg for what they do and manually changed/inserted them (I find it easier than use the Configurator, goes figure...) but CFG USB Loader refuses to load anything from USB other than the theme. One extra problem is that I can't get any music to play, although I have several .mp3's in the music folder and set "music = USB:/usb-loader/music, 1" (I also tried SD instead of USB) in the config.txt.

Big help need here.
smile.gif

Make sure you don't have an additional config.txt in the same directory as the .dol. That could be undoing some stuff. Try a clean install from the v60 .zip, but put the usb-loader directory onto usb:/usb-loader while putting the apps/usbloader directory on the SD card. Do not install the GAF theme from the tutorial. It should hopefully work correctly then. As for music, the correct option format is music = usb:/usb-loader/music. Commas separate value types, they aren't meant to be included (i.e., 1 is a valid value for the field, as is a specified path). Also, make sure you use lower case values for these options. There is a possibility device=USB will not be recognised by Cfg as a valid value.

Perhaps it is a good idea to run your config.txt and settings.cfg files through the Configurator after all. It will fix some of the above problems.

No additional config.txt. I simply followed ModMii USB guide, so the usb-loader folder is in the FAT32 partition root. But I had the usb-loader folder both on the root and the apps folder of the SD card. Maybe that messed some things up. I didn't install the GAF theme from tutorial, but for some reason I decided to install 61b5 again and this time it's working fine. I have downloaded covers from WiiTDB and via the Configurator but, with USB alone, they'd not show up and if I tried to download them, CFG USB Loader would crash. So I ran 61b5 with the SD card in, downloaded the covers and then copied them to USB via WiiXplorer. Now they are showing up.

I found it strange that I was going with 1 plus a path. I'll try that. Also, I didn't know CFG is case-sensitive. That might be the problem as I've used capital letters. I did run Configurator, but it just messed the theme. Anyway, for some reason covers show up now from USB. That's good enough. I just wonder about the SSBB install problem. No dual layer disc can be installed?

Thanks for the response. The comment on config.txt, music path, capital letters, etc. might solve most, if not all, of the problems. Big thanks.
grog.gif

ChaosEnergy

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just wanted to copy some games from one hdd to another with wbfsfile 2.9

All except 3 have been possible

I get this error

QUOTE said:
Using OPTION -z : sparse zero filled blocks
Scrub block size: 32768 (1 wii sectors)
Using OPTION: -l : f2 (file:TITLE [ID].ext)
Scrubbing F:\wbfs\Vacation Sports [R8SE41].iso
malloc fst: No error

any ideas?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, I've got a fairly dark sense of humor lol.