Computer won't get signal.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by kjb1686, Jan 30, 2015.

1. kjb1686
    OP

kjb1686 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2009
    United States
    Olean New York
    Hi everyone I have a PC that won't get a signal. It turns on fine all of the fans are running and everything. What I have tried so far is re socketing the CPU, removing RAM, checking all the connections, and re applying thermopaste. I have removed some connections one by one and nothing works. I am thinking it might be the PSU unit but have no idea. Any ideas of how I can get it to fix. It works periodically and when I get it going it works fine I had it running 3 days straight one time. I have no idea what is going on with it.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Do you have another machine you can try to boot the various components in? You have done the obvious ones but it is about at that stage, at least once you have tried resetting the BIOS, especially if you overclocked something.

What you describe could be a number of things -- I have seen this sort of thing be everything from badly seated RAM to a dying graphics card to a motherboard have a slightly dodgy connection on one of the chips, or indeed one of said chips overheating.

3. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    Does your computer/motherboard have a chassis speaker (supposed to beep when you turn it on and it begins to POST) or a 2 digit LCD diagnostics display?

4. kjb1686
    OP

kjb1686 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2009
    United States
    Olean New York
    @ Fast I can try in another machine it is just a pain because there is a lot hooked up to the other one.

@ Sicklyboy unfortunately it doesn't have either I thought it had one but it doesn't and I don't have an extra one.

5. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

Bummer, because that can rule out a lot of stuff :(

If you're gonna swap between machines, try the easy stuff first. RAM, one stick at a time, CPU if it's the same socket between motherboards, gpu if they're both standalone cards. If that all checks out in the other machine, just plug the motherboard, cpu, and gpu (if applicable) power from your known good PSU to your questionable PC. Or vice versa for either one. SHouldn't have to disconnect -everything- at least.

6. kjb1686
    OP

kjb1686 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2009
    United States
    Olean New York
    I will defiantly try that tomorrow the CPU I can't but everything else I can. My other PC is intel and the one in question is AMD will post back my results.

Sicklyboy likes this.
  7. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Try clearing CMOS and switching between graphics card and integrated graphics if your motherboard has it.

Jiehfeng likes this.
  8. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng A not so serious guy tbh... ;D

Aug 15, 2012
    New Caledonia
    Inside your miiind, and poof.
    Sorry if I sound dumb, but what do you mean by no signal? :huh:

9. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    The PC isn't outputting a display to the monitor I assume. And nah you don't sound dumb, we all live and learn

Jiehfeng likes this.
  10. Jiehfeng

Aug 15, 2012
    New Caledonia

So it's like a wireless monitor?

11. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I doubt it, you know when you turn your PC off but leave the monitor on, you usually get some floating box saying no signal or the power light goes orange like it's on standby. I think he just means that. He's turning the PC on but nothing is happening on the monitor. It usually happens if there's a hardware fault

12. Jiehfeng

Aug 15, 2012
    New Caledonia

Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

13. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    No problem, and now you know

Jiehfeng likes this.