Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ireland 1 said:
Berthenk said:
Ireland 1 said:
I can say don't go for PB. I have one in my room and it is so slow, I took it apart and cleaned it, i did ever thing to try to speed it up, but nothing. I have nearly always heard good things about Acer.
Ever tried to read reviews of the hardware inside it?
smile.gif
After a quick Google and looking at a few reviews, I now know why they left the american market.
I'm actually surprised they're still in other markets XD

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ireland 1 said:
Berthenk said:
Ireland 1 said:
I can say don't go for PB. I have one in my room and it is so slow, I took it apart and cleaned it, i did ever thing to try to speed it up, but nothing. I have nearly always heard good things about Acer.
Ever tried to read reviews of the hardware inside it?
smile.gif
After a quick Google and looking at a few reviews, I now know why they left the american market.
Not exactly the reason why I mentioned reviews.
tongue.gif

More to tell you that it could depend on the components inside computah...

scrtmstr

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
thanks for the replies guys.
I'm not really in a position to build a PC myself, I'm quite busy and my dad hasn't got any experience either. Spec wise they both have an low-range i3 processor (2.93ghz), 4GB RAM and a G315 with Physx and CUDA. For 500 euros. is that any good?

also, I'm really leaning towards the acer right now, but the other shop has offered us a free 1tb external HDD with the PB, should we do this or try to negotiate something with the other shop?

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
scrtmstr said:
I'm not really in a position to build a PC myself, I'm quite busy and my dad hasn't got any experience either. Spec wise they both have an low-range i3 processor (2.93ghz), 4GB RAM and a G315 with Physx and CUDA. For 500 euros. is that any good?

also, I'm really leaning towards the acer right now, but the other shop has offered us a free 1tb external HDD with the PB, should we do this or try to negotiate something with the other shop?

Is there any difference in the kind of service plan or guarantee offered by both shops? Are they 30-day, longer, or manufacturer-support only?

Velveteer

Trophies
XP
Country
Acer and MSI are horrible.

HP is hit and miss.

Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo, Apple and Asus are good.

I don't see what the complains are about Toshiba. The only companies with better build quality are Lenovo and Apple.

scrtmstr

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
exangel said:
scrtmstr said:

Is there any difference in the kind of service plan or guarantee offered by both shops? Are they 30-day, longer, or manufacturer-support only?
manufacturer support only for both, 2 years. You can arrange the reparation at the shop, and they'll send it in for you. The acer comes with carry-in though, and the packard bell is pick-up drop-off at my home.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
scrtmstr said:
exangel said:
manufacturer support only for both, 2 years. You can arrange the reparation at the shop, and they'll send it in for you. The acer comes with carry-in though, and the packard bell is pick-up drop-off at my home.

It sounds like the PB is a better deal. I do really like my Acer laptop but I have zero recent experience with PB, and Originality is pretty smart with computers so I think his opinion is worth considering.

I also did have to help my father replace an Acer desktop this year, because the manufacturer's service department tried to charge $185 for a part (CPU Heatsink/Fan) "that needed to be backordered" (New air-cooling HSF's aren't worth more than $50 unless it's of very high quality). Supposedly it was because the warranty didn't cover parts after one year or some sort of bull.
He replaced it with a refurbished $300 eMachines that's even slower than what he had before (he went from an AMD triple core to a single core), and he's just happy that it was cheap and it works, and he was able to have it set up and running in less than a day.

Based on what you say about two equivalent computers, noting they're throwing in a free external 1TB HD and they have courtesy pick-up and drop off for the machine if you have to send it off for repair.. the PB sounds like a better deal.

That said, if you can build, or have someone build a desktop with separate components you could get a lot more out of the money.

But I know and respect that you say this isn't an option for you, and the choice of custom building a computer makes keeping it serviced somewhat harder for people without either time, technical know-how, or both.

My father used to have me custom build or rebuild his computer every couple years, but the last two and a half* had to be set up as a working replacement easily, because I was out of state.
(*Half, being that he managed to get a privately owned custom PC and repair shop to build him a new computer on the spot with half of the parts and software salvaged from his previous machine. Sadly, this shop went out of business.)

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
I don't get why people always say they don't have the knowhow to put a computer together.

You get a booklet with the motherboard saying how to install it and where to put the power cables

RAM slots in

Hard drives consist of screwing it in to the case and plugging a power cable and sata cable into it

graphics cards slot in

It's just like a lego set really.

but oh well, if you really think it'll be too hard you should go for whichever you want. I've heard bad things about both brands when it comes to build quality.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
People with virtually no technical knowledge of computers are right to be cautious about building a custom computer. There are many sensitive parts in a system that can be damaged by someone who isn't careful. Take, for example, the thermal paste on the base of the HSF. Sure, with the intel stock HSF it's preapplied and you can easily just put it in place and push down the pins for easy assembly, however if, for example, one of the pins didn't go down properly and you had to take it off to try again, chances are that preapplied thermal paste will be ruined and you'll never get the thin, consistent (i.e. without bubbles) application between the HSF and CPU that it needs to conduct heat properly.

That said, if the person is careful and guided well (most people turn to noobtoob for this), it can be as simple as building a bookcase. Take care with the heavy parts, make sure all the screws (or, in computers, wires and plugs) are in the right place, and it'll all go smoothly.

In response to exangel, several others, and to reiterate my own point, I can't speak for most PB or Acer laptops - just the 2 I have. I never heard about the bad press for PB and never bothered checking, but I do know that I've not seen any PB laptops in store since shortly after I bought this one 4 years ago. As for Acer, they seem to be competing in popularity with HP and Sony (Samsung and Toshiba just don't seem that popular in shops these days). Of the 3, Acer are generally cheapest, HP gaudiest (although with the most extras) and Sony the most expensive (although they give a 'premium' quality to their lines, which I personally never liked the look of). Until reading about it on this forum, I've also never heard complaints over Acer laptops (which apparantly randomly stop working), so I can't say anything bad about them until I witness it myself. HP, on the other hand, have a running trend of design flaws and overheating problems in several of their laptops (making them a very hit-and-miss laptop manufacturer), including the HP Pavillion tx2550ea that both me and my brother have.

My PB laptop has a 2.2Ghz T7500 (upgraded from a 1.5Ghz Centrino Duo) and a GeForce 8600M powering it. The 8600M is infamous for dying in most laptops, yet mine has never let me down. What I do know, however, is that they didn't use any thermal paste on the CPU. I don't know if that's standard practice in PB or other laptop manufacturers, but putting my own Zalman thermal paste on the new CPU brought down the average temperature by 7-10C. Otherwise, sometimes it gets a lil hot (nothing a notebook cooling pad doesn't fix), but it works great.

My dad's Acer Aspire 5740 has a Core i5-430M and Intel GMA 4500HD. It's brilliant for chess, has a decent battery life, doesn't get very hot at all, and can even play games like Borderlands and Left 4 Dead at low settings at playable speeds. Also the case is a smooth, curvy, shiny blue, and I like blue. The only problem with it is that I can't update the Intel display drivers without losing the display, which sucks, but can't be helped. It is also the first laptop I own (technically, it's still my dad's) that can achieve full WiFi-N speed with my router (my HP tablet laptop can't).

I've also spent a lot of time over the last couple years watching the Acer line, especially their higher end laptops. The Aspire 8742 looks awesome with its media controls (even my dad likes it, although he'll never go for a laptop so expensive) and it can come with Core i7 and a HD5850 at its most expensive configuration. That's pretty much as powerful as a mid-ranged PC. Unfortunately I can't afford it, so I've only been able to look and dream of it in the local Micro Anvika store.

Back to the main point, which laptop the OP should buy, I always recommend to read the reviews of both first. If they both have good reviews, and similar specs, then go for the one you think looks best (after all, you'll probably be showing it off to your friends shortly after getting it).

scrtmstr

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
allright guys, I've looked at all your advice, thanks everyone.
I've just been out in town with my dad, we've ordered the packard bell. We got a free 1TB hdd with it as well. The shop with the acers was very greedy, and only offered us an extra mouse when the pc already comes with one.
Anyway, thanks guys, appreciate it.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Arctic said:
They all use the same parts anyway. You should get the better priced one or the one with better support.

Same specs != same parts.

Packard Bell is known for using horrendously low quality parts. Not every piece of computer hardware is manufactured identically. Even the quality of the capacitors and resistors used makes a difference.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Law said:
Arctic said:
They all use the same parts anyway. You should get the better priced one or the one with better support.

Packard Bell is known for using horrendously low quality parts. Not every piece of computer hardware is manufactured identically. Even the quality of the capacitors and resistors used makes a difference.
And that's why you look to reviews. Lower quality parts tend to die faster. If people complain that it's dying on them, then you avoid it. If nobody is complaining, then chances are it's not using any lower quality parts than any other laptop manufacturer.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Arctic said:
Law said:
Arctic said:

I was more talking about the fact they normally get parts from the same places in China. There is still a level of quality, but the stuff is close unless it's a really shitty place.
You'd be surprised of the jump in quality that comes from the same location within China. Some products produced will be extremely crappy, while others are rather high quality.

Oh, and Packard Bell is a small division owned by Acer, and that brand name produces some very crappy products. Acer itself would've been a better choice, I doubt the Packard Bell will last you long, but if you've already acquired the Packard Bell one, there's no real point in swapping now I guess.

scrtmstr

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm already regretting the choice of the packard bell
frown.gif

we just got it, connected the screen and it won't put out any signal. We tried 2 monitors, and they both don't work
frown.gif

It boots up fine, BIOS beep and everything, but it just won't put out any signal.
Do you guys know what the problem might be?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Check for any holes towards the front of the laptop that may have a kind of lever in it (normally where the laptop clasps shut) and make sure it's not stuck.

With a monitor connected, try the default function button for switching displays. In my case, it's Fn + F3, although this is different with every laptop.

If nothing works, call up the retailer and say it's DoA (Dead on Arrival). You're in your rights to get a replacement or a refund with no questions asked (aside from what exactly is wrong with it). In this case, you'll probably just want to replace it with the Acer laptop.

To add, I've only seen that happen to Compaq laptops.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up