cyborgamine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Hi Folks,

I want to softmod my Wii and I came across the guide [1] below. I will softmod it using the Smash-Stack method as described in [1] below.

My Wii is 4.3u, and so according to [1], all I have to do is delete custom stages, download the files [2] and [3] and extract them to the root of my SD card, and do the final step [4].

So After executing [4], my Wii is all softmodded? Can I run backup copies for example?

I am a bit hesitating to use guide [1] because it looks too simple e.g. compared to [5] or [6].

Can you please confirm that this cool and simple guide contains everything? Or is more stuff to be done after step [4]?

Thanks.

[1] http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/exploits/smash-stack
[2] http://wiibrew.org/w/images/4/4e/Smashstack.zip
[3] http://bootmii.org/get.php?file=hackmii_in...fbc9f71d0cfcb9f
[4] Load Super Smash Bros Brawl. In the main menu, go to the Vault, then choose Stage Builder. It should load automatically on this moment.
[5] http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-g...od-any-wii.html
[6] http://gbatemp.net/t171901-modify-any-wii-4-3-below

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dont use any of those links, click on modmii from my sig, thats THE easiest app to hack it.
(and you simply run it from your PC, it'll DL all files needed to PC, you just copy them to a blank 2GB SD card. It also generates a guide for your wii to follow, step by step

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
As mentioned by ddetkowski - use ModMii

I've not upgraded a v4.3 but I did try following (some of) the guides you've shown when I first tried to soft-mod my wii & I really balls it up (think it was because I was mixing different incompatible files)...
But using modmii, got it working first time with no problems (Actually I used it's predecessor NUSAD)

- as for 'Can I run backups' then basically Yes.... If you're planning to play just your Wii games that is.

One thing to note - You MAY need to use an external HDD instead of 'Backup Disks' for your Games
- newer Wii's CANNOT run Backup Disks..
.. Don't worry Modmii will help you install all the required stuff to be able to run a USB HDD

I think to play Gamecube backups need a little more 'modding' to be done & I think you'll also need some extra hardware such as a 'SD Gecko' - this guide seems to have some quite useful info about that

cyborgamine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Thanks, that guide is really cool :-)

I installed the HBC, performed NAND backup, and now I am at the stage [1] below.

How to I launch ""IOS236 Installer v5 MOD" or "IOS236 Installer"? When I am at HBC, I have a screen with bubbles going up, and when I hit home, I get a menu containing the buttons "about", "Launch BootMii", "Return to System", etc. but none of these (as far as I tried) take me to install any IOS?

Any help is much appreciated.

[1]
3) INSTALL A PATCHED IOS236
========================

Start the Homebrew Channel.

VERY IMPORTANT!
In the Homebrew channel, if you do not have a working internet connection already set up, you will see an icon flashing in the bottom right corner of the screen indicating its inability to initialize the network. You MUST wait for the icon to stop flashing OR let it flash for 30-60 seconds before proceeding otherwise these apps will error shortly after being launched. If you encounter this harmless error, power off the Wii and repeat this step from the beginning. To increase your chances of success, add a working internet connection to your Wii via the official Wii Settings Menu, but be sure to say "No" when asked to perform an update.

You only need to perform ONE of the below methods.

Method A: Using IOS236 Installer
--------------------------------

After waiting 30-60 seconds for the HBC to attempt to initialize the network, launch "IOS236 Installer v5 MOD".
Note: This app must be launched using HBC v1.0.7 or higher in order to work properly.

It should say "IOS236 installation is complete!" and return to The Homebrew Channel.

If you experience errors, keep trying and it should eventually work.
If you continue to experience errors you can try using Simple IOS Patcher instead.
Once either method successfully installs IOS236, you can move onto the next step.

Method B: Using Simple IOS Patcher
----------------------------------

After waiting 30-60 seconds for the HBC to attempt to initialize the network, launch "IOS236 Installer".
Note: This app must be launched using HBC v1.0.7 or higher in order to work properly.

Choose "IOS36" (already selected by default) and push A,
Select "Install IOS to slot" and choose 236,
Select "Install patched IOS36" leaving the 4 patches set to "yes" and press A,
Choose "Load IOS from SD card".

Confirm your choice with the A button,
When prompted, push A to continue the installation.
When the installation is over you'll be back at the Main Menu,
Then push B button to exit.

If you experience errors, keep trying and it should eventually work.
If you continue to experience errors you can try using IOS236 Installer instead.
Once either method successfully installs IOS236, you can move onto the next step.

terminal_illness

Dark Hadou Master
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
did you copy the files from modmii to the sd card? sounds like you either dont have an sd card inserted or the stuff is in the wrong location...

you didnt copy the "copy_to_sd" folder to the sd card did you? because you were supposed to copy the contents of that folder to the sd card.

cyborgamine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Yep, I did that and installed HBC. Then when it came to installing BootMii, I could not install it as Boot 2, so it asked me to insert an SD card to install the BootMii in it. I inserted another SD card. So at this stage I have the first SD card containing the COPY_TO_SD content, and the second SD card containing BootMii and the NAND backup.

Do I use the SD card containing COPY_TO_SD again? It does not say so in the automatically generated instructions.

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
cyborgamine said:
Yep, I did that and installed HBC. Then when it came to installing BootMii, I could not install it as Boot 2, so it asked me to insert an SD card to install the BootMii in it. I inserted another SD card. So at this stage I have the first SD card containing the COPY_TO_SD content, and the second SD card containing BootMii and the NAND backup.

Do I use the SD card containing COPY_TO_SD again? It does not say so in the automatically generated instructions.

Yep ! Use the card again. Actually it wasn't necessary to use another sd card in the first please.
You could have left it in.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
cyborgamine said:
So After executing [4], my Wii is all softmodded? Can I run backup copies for example?

[4] Load Super Smash Bros Brawl. In the main menu, go to the Vault, then choose Stage Builder. It should load automatically on this moment.
Most of it is already answered, but I'm going to nuance this question a bit:

Points [1] through [4] you mentioned are enough to softmod your wii. But that is merely the opening...the basic groundwork you have to do to make sure you can start doing all the necessary other things. I hate to use payscamsite slang but their analogy is pretty decent: running the exploit and installing the homebrew channel (also known as HBC) 'unlocks' your wii so you can do with it what you want.

So no, it won't straight up lets you run backup copies. It just lets you meet the basic prerequisite to install and use most homebrew. Those points 5 and 6, as well as modmii, further elaborate what to do to next to get to start playing backup games.

Oh, and...thumbs up to you for doing research. While I agree with previous posters that modmii is the better choice, it's nice to see that you don't just start randomly doing whatever some internet guide tells you to.
smile.gif

cyborgamine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Thanks everyone :-)

I think I have just softmodded my Wii with no hassle thanks to the brilliant guide and your precious help. My Wii is NTSC, and I was able to start a PAL game on it which means the softmodding is kind of successful --- at least when it comes to playing any region.

My very last question hopefully is: Can somebody please send me a reliable guide on how to back-up my games on my drive and play them from it? I have now something called USB LOADER showing in the main (original) Wii screen. I was hoping that I will just attach a USB HDD to it and it formats it for me, etc. When I plug in my NTFS HDD, it shows the screen [1] but then returns immediately to the main Wii screen.

So is this behaviour normal? I mean the program USB LOADER does just what the name suggests i.e. load an already prepared USB DRIVE to play backups?

Cheeers.

[1] The screen has the word Wii written in big font, diagonal, and has icons of the Wii-remote buttons around it.

cyborgamine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Everything works great now :-)

Actually, this guide is awesome and it does a magic thing: it works first time! The only thing that got me confused was when I was asked to insert an SD card so I thought I use a second one. Otherwise, it is all self-explanatory :-)

Finally, can somebody confirm that my Wii 4.3u (bought last January) can only play my games backed up on a hard drive? Are burnt DVDs a definite NO NO?

Cheers.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Why follow any other guide besides Modmii's generated guide or the sticky here?

EDIT: Which January? I assume 2010.

With a Wii of that age, I think it's possible, but why would you want to use discs? Instead of using up $10-$20 for a stack of discs, spend that much on an 8GB flash drive that, depending on the games, can hold probably 20-30? Not Brawl of course.

A huge portable/external hard drive would be a much better value.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
cyborgamine said:
Finally, can somebody confirm that my Wii 4.3u (bought last January) can only play my games backed up on a hard drive? Are burnt DVDs a definite NO NO?
As said it's most probably won't be able to play any backup Disks - there's a site that you can type in your Wii Serial code & it'll give you a fairly good idea to what type of drive chip it has installed...IIRC the newer drives are D3-2 drives and these CANNOT play any type of Backup disks or DVD's

... Ah here it is

EDIT: Actually D4 drives are the latest & they also don't play backup disk either

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o