Hacking Comparison of 3DS Flash Carts/Features - ON HIATUS (9/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the best it can be is a DS flashcart on 3DS and run some emulators. Oh well.

To be able to play the 3DS games properly I would suggest reading the first post.

EDIT 12/23: I modified the guide and made it have a clicky table of contents! :)

pje122

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys I'm new here. I have a question about about 3DS flashcart so please bear with me.

I own a CycloDS Evolution for my DS Lite and it works amazingly. Runs every .nds rom I have ever thrown at it, never have to worry about save files or managing them, has a great launcher/front-end thing, never had to worry about firmware version of the card, the system itself, or what a game requires or anything.
I think you get my point. The CycloDS Evolution is very very very hassle-free and easy to use. It does exactly what I want/need, no more no less.

So I guess I'm looking for something similar for the 3DS. I assume nothing like this exists yet?

Can someone explain to me the firmware thing with the 3DS? If I want to use one of these existing flashcarts, I need to find a 3DS or 3DSXL with 4.1 to 4.5 firmware... right?
But does this mean I can only play games that have existed up to the point where that firmware was released for the 3DS? What about current 3DS games? What about 3DS games that will be released in 2014 and 2015? Would I just assume I can use my 4.1 to 4.5 3DS to play those no problem or do I now have to worry about what firmware my 3DS is vs what firmware the game requires?

Sorry if these are stupid questions but as you can see from my points above this does seem quite a bit more complicated than the CycloDS Evolution for my DS Lite.

Merry Christmas!

corim123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Start a new topic or post in the Noob Paradise topic. Or just search for 5 seconds and do some reading instead of expecting a spoon feeding.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Start a new topic or post in the Noob Paradise topic. Or just search for 5 seconds and do some reading instead of expecting a spoon feeding.

This is exactly what the mods are trying to avoid and you are encouraging a new user to do so instead of helping...

Hi guys I'm new here. I have a question about about 3DS flashcart so please bear with me.

I own a CycloDS Evolution for my DS Lite and it works amazingly. Runs every .nds rom I have ever thrown at it, never have to worry about save files or managing them, has a great launcher/front-end thing, never had to worry about firmware version of the card, the system itself, or what a game requires or anything.
I think you get my point. The CycloDS Evolution is very very very hassle-free and easy to use. It does exactly what I want/need, no more no less.

So I guess I'm looking for something similar for the 3DS. I assume nothing like this exists yet?

Can someone explain to me the firmware thing with the 3DS? If I want to use one of these existing flashcarts, I need to find a 3DS or 3DSXL with 4.1 to 4.5 firmware... right?
But does this mean I can only play games that have existed up to the point where that firmware was released for the 3DS? What about current 3DS games? What about 3DS games that will be released in 2014 and 2015? Would I just assume I can use my 4.1 to 4.5 3DS to play those no problem or do I now have to worry about what firmware my 3DS is vs what firmware the game requires?

Sorry if these are stupid questions but as you can see from my points above this does seem quite a bit more complicated than the CycloDS Evolution for my DS Lite.

Merry Christmas!

There's only one trendsetter 3DS flashcard and it's called Gateway 3DS, the others are just clones and don't offer any improvements over the original.

A 3DS between 4.1 and 4.5 is a requeriment in order to use a 3DS flashcart and about what games you can play, it doesn't matter when they were developed, every game is compatible except Pokemon and Animal Crossing, which are supposedly going to work after an update that will come in the next days from the Gateway 3DS team.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Merry Christmas!

The CycloDS Evolution back in the day was a great piece of hardware, and with the 3DS, your solutions are in the first post of the topic. I outlined all the necessary facts that you need to know about each piece of hardware, with as much information as is provided right now.

You will need to find a 3DS or 3DS XL unit that still has 4.1 to 4.5 firmware. As of the latest chip update, the support is for the most part flawless save for a handful of games like Pokemon X and Y, or Animal Crossing New Leaf. Games that arrive in future are unknown, and you will more than likely need to worry about the firmware the game has.

Your problems are understandable, considering you're moving from a DS Lite which never had to worry about firmware issues, but reading around is recommended. :) Most of the time, you will learn a lot more by perusing old threads, and posting if you're completely flummoxed by something; granted, your issue is quite easy to resolve with a few searches.

Flopp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can Gateway 3ds or R4i 3ds Deluxe run DS-roms? If yes, can you still swap cartridge/sdcard and play 3ds-rom without too much hassle?

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can Gateway 3ds or R4i 3ds Deluxe run DS-roms? If yes, can you still swap cartridge/sdcard and play 3ds-rom without too much hassle?
Both come with a DS Mode flashcard which you can use in standart mode (not GW Mode). But you have to re-install the exploit afer using them and they won't work in GW mode. The DS mode flashcard of the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe is better.

Flopp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Both come with a DS Mode flashcard which you can use in standart mode (not GW Mode). But you have to re-install the exploit afer using them and they won't work in GW mode. The DS mode flashcard of the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe is better.

Thank you!

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minor thread updates. It has come to my attention as well that R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe supports emuNAND up to v7.1.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Minor thread updates. It has come to my attention as well that R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe supports emuNAND up to v7.1.

Just another copy of GW's firmware. This time they figured out how to remove the GW's banner of the upper screen in 3D, but still they left the icons intact. And the diagnostic test option is still there :lol:

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just another copy of GW's firmware. This time they figured out how to remove the GW's banner of the upper screen in 3D, but still they left the icons intact. And the diagnostic test option is still there :lol:

Oh boy, either way information is information and said information has been added to front post. ;D

jables

Trophies
XP
Country
can I just clarify something - there are no 3ds cards out there at the moment that work outside of 4.1 - 4.5 firmware?

Some websites selling them claim that they have support for 7.1, but I've read elsewhere that it isn't the case....

I just got a 3ds and stupidly updated to 7.1 without thinking - and it looks like there is no going back.

any ideas on a timeframe for support for firmware above 4.5? or is that very unlikely?

cheers :)

Skyrider

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
can I just clarify something - there are no 3ds cards out there at the moment that work outside of 4.1 - 4.5 firmware?

Some websites selling them claim that they have support for 7.1, but I've read elsewhere that it isn't the case....

I just got a 3ds and stupidly updated to 7.1 without thinking - and it looks like there is no going back.

any ideas on a timeframe for support for firmware above 4.5? or is that very unlikely?

cheers :)

All current existing flash cards only work on the 3DS Firmware between 4.1 and 4.5 and support above that firmware version is highly unlikely at the moment seeing the security flaw was and is only found in 4.1/4.5 and Nintendo already fixed it.

The other sites are mentioning that you are able to upgrade to 7.1 is because all flash cards have an "emulation" that runs on the 3DS that is separated from the real 3DS firmware. This means that you can keep the 3DS (official) firmware between 4.1 to 4.5 while on the emulation mode you can upgrade it to the latest firmware without upgrading the real deal.

I'm afraid you are out of luck.

Reactions: jables

jables

Trophies
XP
Country
All current existing flash cards only work on the 3DS Firmware between 4.1 and 4.5 and support above that firmware version is highly unlikely at the moment seeing the security flaw was and is only found in 4.1/4.5 and Nintendo already fixed it.

The other sites are mentioning that you are able to upgrade to 7.1 is because all flash cards have an "emulation" that runs on the 3DS that is separated from the real 3DS firmware. This means that you can keep the 3DS (official) firmware between 4.1 to 4.5 while on the emulation mode you can upgrade it to the latest firmware without upgrading the real deal.

I'm afraid you are out of luck.

Thanks for the response and the clarification.

It's a bit disappointing that there is no way to downgrade.

...sorry to be a nub, but will 'DS only' flashcarts like the DSTWO or r41i-Gold work on 7.1 firmware? don't tell me they only work between 4.1 - 4.5 as well?

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the response and the clarification.

It's a bit disappointing that there is no way to downgrade.

...sorry to be a nub, but will 'DS only' flashcarts like the DSTWO or r41i-Gold work on 7.1 firmware? don't tell me they only work between 4.1 - 4.5 as well?

The DS Flash carts are okay on later firmwares.

sweis12

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Personally I will wait. I want to wait until there is a major breakthrough, like the DSTwo was for r4i's. I want to wait for one that can work on the latest firmwares, update quick, and such.

corim123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I will wait. I want to wait until there is a major breakthrough, like the DSTwo was for r4i's. I want to wait for one that can work on the latest firmwares, update quick, and such.
Might be waiting quite a long time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/9seCZUSS8zE?si=xMNkLYWrWl6kDH44