Homebrew Official Citra - New 3DS Emulator

ww97

Wajiro
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
As far as I know, both custom builds and the nightly builds can run the games you listed, as long as you have all the files that Citra needs. If the nightly builds are not working, then try the latest Chinese build that everyone has been linking to. Just make sure your games are decrypted and that you have a copy of the Nand dump for a real Nintendo 3DS.

All files that Citra needs? You mean, some kinda 'extension/plugin'?

DestinyFeather

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All files that Citra needs? You mean, some kinda 'extension/plugin'?
The user probably means the files needed. As in imagine the exe is made up of parts and part of it includes a whole bunch of scripts each of which does different things like modules in python. These are then combined through make into a working exes through 'make' magic.

I'm an idiot so I just stick to the chinese builds unless I want 96 hours or more of frustration... The technical life and me were not supposed to coexist so I'm glad that the chinese are spoonfeeding given how many problems I've had in the past installing anything with contents that resembled the insides of a disassembled squid let alone what parts of the squid are trying to cannabalise each other and which ones are absolutely necessary to make x work.

Last edited by DestinyFeather,

LG_

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The user probably means the files needed. As in imagine the exe is made up of parts and part of it includes a whole bunch of scripts each of which does different things like modules in python. These are then combined through make into a working exes through 'make' magic.

I'm an idiot so I just stick to the chinese builds unless I want 96 hours or more of frustration... The technical life and me were not supposed to coexist so I'm glad that the chinese are spoonfeeding given how many problems I've had in the past installing anything with contents that resembled the insides of a disassembled squid let alone what parts of the squid are trying to cannabalise each other and which ones are absolutely necessary to make x work.
Nope, he's talking about some files that you need to dump from your real 3DS in order to make some games boot/work.

mcdgray129

Trophies
XP
Country
@wwylele Why is the advancements of cemu is faster than citra ? is the 3DS more complicated than the wii u ? cemu already has stable 60fps games with really good audio, i'm under the impression that citra will be the same once @MerryMage finds time to work on https://github.com/citra-emu/citra/pull/1554 is this true and how soon can we expect this ?

This is a mis understanding. Cemu only plays a handful of games at full speed and has bad graphics in many of them.
Citra plays and is compatible with many more games then cemu, even if it does run slower for now.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do they use closed source code ?
Because the author may or may not be taking some shortcuts and using the official SDK for some functions

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, it means better emulation, but it does kind of cross a legal line that no other emulator teams want to even touch

Ironclad17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't aware of the GPL issues or that the Chinese group never bothered sharing the rest of their code. It throws a big wrench in development when someone gets a part of the emulator working but doesn't bother showing how. Understand that any insights you gain from using the Chinese builds are basically useless to development because they have no idea what changes were made to accomplish it.

JayFoxRox

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I wasn't aware of the GPL issues or that the Chinese group never bothered sharing the rest of their code. It throws a big wrench in development when someone gets a part of the emulator working but doesn't bother showing how. Understand that any insights you gain from using the Chinese builds are basically useless to development because they have no idea what changes were made to accomplish it.

I feel I should clarify this slightly more: I reported all GPL violations here, not only those links to baidu.

Clearly the origin of the entire problem is Citra itself which violates the GPL of other projects by not including a license text with the release. Nobody did care (or wasn't aware) because Citra was still only used by developers and a small community until recently (which doesn't make it any less wrong!).
However, it has had nightly builds for a some time now (~a year) and nobody ever bothered to check if we were following the license (which asks us to include the license + offer the source code, or Citra is not allowed to use the code it is using!). - It was just a slow transition from small Citra to the project it is now.
The license issue is *STILL* a problem with the nightly builds. - The problem is only going to get worse.

So why did I report it only now? Because:

1. this topic has been going downhill lately and it was obvious that this place would end up with only warez discussions and GPL violating builds of Citra with no other discussion, making this very questionable from a legal standpoint.
2. With so many unofficial builds and Pokemon news it's likely that bigger news outlets are going to notice it. If this spreads it's likely a GPL violating build of Citra will be hosted on various servers. If this is seen by people whose GPL license Citra currently violates this could mean trouble.
3. Also if the unofficial builds are good enough to play Pokemon there is less interest in getting new builds so these GPL violating builds will also stick around.

All of this is a toxic mix which could potentially hurt a project like Citra.
I do understand the backlash this has been getting though: Users don't care about Citra, they only care about playing Pokemon - even if that hurts Citra. Similar to how users care about emulating WiiU now to play certain games even if they know that CEMU hurts WiiU emulation in the long run.

A point which is also often brought up: I did not report the violations because we can't see what the people on baidu did.
First, they most likely didn't do anything special and second, I don't think they are bad people. I'm sure they'll try to contribute back sooner or later.
However, they still managed to widely spread GPL violating builds of Citra which is not okay and takes away our control. The situation is bad as it is. So at least unofficial builds should fix their license, even if the bureaucracy of Citra means the main project will take some time to fix the license stuff.
- That being said, I still would prefer to see their code though because large number of closed source builds will attract scammers which add trojans / viruses or botnet clients to builds and the users won't be able to notice that. If we don't have a source code to verify yourself that everything is fine you are ALWAYS at a security risk. It's obvious that virus infected builds of Citra would also hurt the project.
It's also a very exclusive (in a bad way) environment if they only provide builds for certain systems (say Windows, but not OSX) and results in shift in the hierarchy: the communitys control is taken away and you have to beg them for releases. Eventually this could result in exploitation by monetization or other means.

Let's get back on topic now though.
(I also recommend opening a seperate topic if you want to discuss building custom versions of Citra or just Pokemon stuff to not clutter up this thread. This is also certainly not the place to learn git or C++)

X Virus

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia

I think the Host ,namely gdmk know about the source code,but the problem is how can we persuade him or maybe them to provide the source code in order to turn chinese build into "legal" builds ,maybe @wwylele or those who can directly contact gdmk can help out , or anyone know how to contact that guy?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Let's get back on topic now though.
(I also recommend opening a seperate topic if you want to discuss building custom versions of Citra or just Pokemon stuff to not clutter up this thread. This is also certainly not the place to learn git or C++)

I agree with @JayFoxRox , and i choose @DestinyFeather , @rbm666 , @Miguel Gomez , @SKazuki ,@Leo121 ,@KillzXGaming ,@LG_ ,@wwylele as the host,admins & supervisors of that new gbatemp topic,is it good everyone ?Since they are pokemon fans and they can contribute in making unofficial builds.....Btw,is it anybody can open a new topic in gbatemp?is it free of charge?

Anyway,i have another idea ,why don't one of you open a thread in "other discussion" under subtopic of "GENERAL OFF-TOPIC CHAT"

Last edited by X Virus,

Axel Blaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
do anyone plays Pokemon Alpha Sapphire here because i have unlimited rare candies in tht game

in the original pokemon as version not in 721 version

ww97

Wajiro
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
1. this topic has been going downhill lately and it was obvious that this place would end up with only warez discussions and GPL violating builds of Citra with no other discussion, making this very questionable from a legal standpoint.
2. With so many unofficial builds and Pokemon news it's likely that bigger news outlets are going to notice it. If this spreads it's likely a GPL violating build of Citra will be hosted on various servers. If this is seen by people whose GPL license Citra currently violates this could mean trouble.
3. Also if the unofficial builds are good enough to play Pokemon there is less interest in getting new builds so these GPL violating builds will also stick around.

I am disagreed. If you look deeper from a simple licence, both Citra and Cemu are totally unlegit and copyright violator, hence they are trying to emulate a still-selling hardware. GPL also is just an alibi for Linux users.

DestinyFeather

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're just trying to protect the project as best they can. No point in making waves with obvious violations.
Streisand effect. To the average person, no one knows the difference between citra builds because there is only 'Citra' but in labelling one as an unofficial/'violator' build it instantly becomes distinguished, somewhat legitimised (as in it's not one of the hundreds of fake ones floating around online) and different in the reader's mind.

DevilPrince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
A point that should be noted by u raulpica , that making an emulator is illegal in the 1st place. So this thread is on something that is illegal at the 1st place. So i dont think u should stop the discussion of other builds, calling it illegal. This Thread is already on illegal stuff, which gives it no right to call anything else illegal and ban its discussion. Plz think abt it carefully.

breel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is an emulator illegal?
I don't believe any lawsuit was ever won against an emulator (though at least one did bankrupt the emulator's company).

LG_

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
A point that should be noted by u raulpica , that making an emulator is illegal in the 1st place. So this thread is on something that is illegal at the 1st place. So i dont think u should stop the discussion of other builds, calling it illegal. This Thread is already on illegal stuff, which gives it no right to call anything else illegal and ban its discussion. Plz think abt it carefully.
Emulators are not illegal. Google about it, I'm not even wasting my time trying to explain such a simple thing you SHOULD know before talking bullshit.

I think the Host ,namely gdmk know about the source code,but the problem is how can we persuade him or maybe them to provide the source code in order to turn chinese build into "legal" builds ,maybe @wwylele or those who can directly contact gdmk can help out , or anyone know how to contact that guy?

I agree with @JayFoxRox , and i choose @DestinyFeather , @rbm666 , @Miguel Gomez , @SKazuki ,@Leo121 ,@KillzXGaming ,@LG_ ,@wwylele as the host,admins & supervisors of that new gbatemp topic,is it good everyone ?Since they are pokemon fans and they can contribute in making unofficial builds.....Btw,is it anybody can open a new topic in gbatemp?is it free of charge?

Anyway,i have another idea ,why don't one of you open a thread in "other discussion" under subtopic of "GENERAL OFF-TOPIC CHAT"
I'm NOT a Pokémon fan. To be honest, I don't even care if the game works or not, in my posts I only try do help people to fix the problems (no matter what game)

Reactions: raulpica

X Virus

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Since this thread is Official Citra New 3DS Emulator ,which only for discussing on how to build an emulator,why don't they make/spread another thread,namely Unofficial Citra New 3DS Emulator?so that unofficial or illegal builds are allow at there

junior600

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Since this thread is Official Citra New 3DS Emulator ,which only for discussing on how to build an emulator,why don't they make/spread another thread,namely Unofficial Citra New 3DS Emulator?so that unofficial or illegal builds are allow at there
I didn't understand. Is it possible to speak about chinese builds (without posting links to the download)?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Emulators are not illegal. Google about it, I'm not even wasting my time trying to explain such a simple thing you SHOULD know before talking bullshit.
Thanks for answering this in my place :P

It seems like you don't understand what the issue is with the illegal builds. It's not about it being off-topic.

I didn't understand. Is it possible to speak about chinese builds (without posting links to the download)?
Yeah, but please create a new thread for it. Also NO links allowed. That's paramount. If people want to find them, they will do so themselves.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: im fucking motivated