Hacking cIOSX rev21d2x: Yet Another Hot Fix!!!!

Did d2x work for you?

• Yes, I had an issue with the official cios and d2x fixed it

Votes: 93 48.2%
  • Yes, but everything was already working for me with the official cios

Votes: 82 42.5%
  • No, and I posted what goes wrong

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • No, and I won't report what goes wrong because I am a troll

Votes: 9 4.7%

• Total voters

mike333

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Feature request.

It would be very nice for d2x to read sector from hdd which resides on cylinder near landing zone for heads just before switching console off.
Now every time I shut down wii there is "click" sound.
Yes I understand that is perfectly normal behaviour (auto park heads) of hdd when power is cut down.
But it might be very nice to help hdd a little and move heads closer to their park position.

Thank you.

ps.
I'm guessing that land zone is after last cylinder. So reading last sector should be efficient.
+1
Same thing happens to my HDD too! :(
It would be great if davebaol could implement a small fix to prevent this! ;)

There isn't much you can do, it's going to make a noise to unload the head. Seeking across the disk before will still make the same noise that it does when the heads are unloaded.

http://www.hitachigs...paper_FINAL.pdf

I find the sound of the motor spinning down louder than the head unloading anyway.
There must be something different in following picture.
When I use same disc with linux based pc there is no click sound at all under disconnection.
No special magic involved, just regular umount before unplug.

The difference is the placement of the head prior to power loss, if its closer to the inner track, the head has to fling quickly back to the outside edge of the drive in order to lock itself securely for power down
if closer to the outside... well, you get the idea.
My idea is quoted at "Feature request" but then nuked by smf.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My idea is quoted at "Feature request" but then nuked by smf.

The drive doesn't have a noisy emergency head mover, it just seeks when the power is lost.
The power to do it is reclaimed from the drive spinning down. So there may a different noise due to that.

Otherwise it's just the combination of different sounds happening at once, that happen at different times when you unmount and unplug.

cios could unload the head and power the drive down when it's not in use. But just seeking is the wrong way to do it.

XICO2KX

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
In my case, when I disconnect the USB cable of my HDD in Windows after doing that "Safely remove hardware" stuff, it does not make any sound at all! :rolleyes:

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In my case, when I disconnect the USB cable of my HDD in Windows after doing that "Safely remove hardware" stuff, it does not make any sound at all! :rolleyes:

Safely remove hardware probably causes the heads to be unloaded, it won't just seek the head to where it assumes is close to the unload area.

Drives make a noise unloading the head even when powered up:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_hard_drive_clicking

With all of the complaints about it, if the hard drive manufacturers could have simply put a seek in there then they would.

mike333

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Same here.

I guess there is no special voodoo magic involved. Only time required to dig through linux kernel source code to figure what commands are sent to usb mass storage device during umount.
I'm noob in that area, Davebaol is afk ... so there is no much hope left ;)

davebaol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
cIOS d2x v7

d2xcioslogo.png
-​
Finally I'm proude to announce the release of d2x v7 final.​
Also, the new d2x google code project is ready with source code, download packages and tutorials.​
Please from now on report bugs and requests there.​
This topic remains active mainly to support end users.​
The 1st post in this topic will be updated asap.​
-​
Enjoy d2x! B-)

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I posted an example issue on the Google Code page. If all issues would look like this, then Davebaol's work would be much easier(=>faster new releases).

davebaol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hmm... in d2x build process the zip is generated by modmii after md5 calculation.
Actually this is a modmii issue.
Of course I could rename the files on google code to .7z but before doing it I should check with XFlak that this doesn't break the download feature in modmii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tine? One gram?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sixteenth
    Also it was literally out of a kilo when I got it off the boat so absolutely pure
    Holy shiz that's a lot
    +1
    I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd be afraid to it nowdays, my heart would explode prob. I just stick beers n buds nowdays.
    I would get to drive from tarpon springs to like Miami a thousand bucks lol do that twice a week and back in 92 that was good money
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    @Psionic Roshambo what are you guys talking about?
    Blew it on women and muscle cars lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty Hamster food, its pricey nowadays to keep PCs running.
    +2
    I don't do anything except cigarettes and gotta stop eventually lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd do shrooms again if could find, and I was outside camping/fishing, and had a cooler full of beer.
    +1
    I wouldn't mind some LSD, laughing until my face hurt sounds fun lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You ever try soaper powder/qauludes? I did once and like a dumbass drank beer on top of taking, I woke up laying in my backyard in the pouring rain, it knocked me out. I have not seen it around in many many years.
    +1
    No never tried a lot of things but never that lol
    I did pass out one time on a floor after taking a bunch of Ambien lol thought it would help me sleep and did it lol
    Girlfriend was working at a pharmacy and stole like 500 of them, was and still is the biggest pill bottle I have ever seen lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ativan is pretty legit
    +1
    The last time I had to take something to help me sleep, I was prescribed Trazadone it was pretty OK to be honest.
    Not something I need at all these days, doing a lot better lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That Nuka Cola video with old ice grinder is cool, I want one.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, ANSWER HIS DAMN QUESTION
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa, ANSWER HIS DAMN QUESTION