chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
I was having a couple of problems in Firefox. Every once in a while when watching Hulu it would freeze, while the audio kept playing.

So, I decided to follow the hype and switch to Chrome.

Bad idea.

Chrome has so many problems, it is funny. Funny how so many people think it's great.

1.) On some sites, like Gamespot, a window would pop up saying there was a security risk with Flash. I looked over all the ads on the page, looked at all the Flash settings, and didn't find anything wrong. The URL it said was the problem wasn't a threat either (just a cookie that Gamespot uses to see the games you're looking at, I believe), and even when I unblocked it in Flash it STILL gave me that annoying window.

2.) Another Flash related problem, whenever watching a video, playing a Flash game, or watching a Flash animation, if you scrolled the page the object would clip. Half of it would copy itself and slide "under" the page, giving the look that there was two videos/games/whatever stacked on top of each other. Very annoying, especially if you only scrolled one click using the mouse wheel.

3.) Livestream issues. When on sites that use Java, like Livestream.com when importing videos to your channel, Java wouldn't work right. Also on that site, which uses Flash and Java at the SAME TIME to import videos, Chrome would instantly crash. It's not Livestream or Java messing up, but Chrome itself, because I have no problems whatsoever using Livestream on Firefox or IE.

4.) Crashes. As stated above, sites that use Java and Flash cause Chrome to freeze then crash, every time.

5.) Missing fonts, and a lot of them. While building my site on webs.com, half the fonts defaulted to something like Times New Roman. While using IE or Firefox, however, the fonts were displayed correctly. This is a rather serious issue, because while using Chrome many sites look completely wrong and you wouldn't even know it unless someone showed you on a different browser.

As a side note, I noticed that Adobe doesn't make a version of Flash for Chrome. Chrome uses Firefox's version, but from what I've seen it definitely doesn't use it correctly!

What do you guys think of Chrome? I've had enough of it. I switched back to Firefox and uninstalled it
hate2.gif

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
War said:
Hm, weird. I've never had any of those problems, and I've been using Chrome for over 6 months. I'm using the dev channel, though.
Same here. I'm using the latest beta, and have never had a single problem with Chrome, other than Cooliris crashing every time I went to PSPSlimHacks, but that's not Chrome's fault. It's the fault of Cooliris's devs.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
another case of "i don't know how to use it properly so its shit", if you're having that many problems its something wrong on your end.

chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
.Radiant said:
another case of "i don't know how to use it properly so its shit", if you're having that many problems its something wrong on your end.

Hey, don't give me that crap. I'm an IT tech, so I know how computers and programs work.

It appears that Chrome wasn't coded correctly to work with every computer, just the most common ones. There may be a conflict somewhere regarding my uncommon CPU (unlikely, but plausible), GPU (considering all the graphical glitches, this may be the most likely), or the fact that I'm using Windows 7 64bit.

Most likely the problem is Windows 7 64bit, considering it's still pretty new, and there are still many computers out there that use 32bit OSs. The programmers probably coded for 32bit OSs, and possibly Vista 64bit, which is slightly different programming-wise than 7 64bit
lecture.gif

Also, the graphical glitches and crashing aren't cases of "I don't know how to use it". Even if I didn't know how to use a web browser, how would that cause Flash, Java, and crashing issues?
rolleyes.gif

Llama Riot

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I have used chrome for almost one year and in my experience it has been fast and safe. I switched after years of using firefox because it was slowing my computer down, I had no extensions installed and I was hit by a few nasty browser exploits. Every once in a while I can get the flash plugin to crash, but never the whole browser, just refresh the page and its good to go again. Chrome is full of useful features and the interface is very intuitive. Firefox just seems slow and clunky to me now; chrome is the new firefox.

BeatriceTheGolde

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
tempchan.co.cc
XP
Country
Canada
chrisman01 said:
.Radiant said:

Hey, don't give me that crap. I'm an IT tech, so I know how computers and programs work.

It appears that Chrome wasn't coded correctly to work with every computer, just the most common ones. There may be a conflict somewhere regarding my uncommon CPU (unlikely, but plausible), GPU (considering all the graphical glitches, this may be the most likely), or the fact that I'm using Windows 7 64bit.

Most likely the problem is Windows 7 64bit, considering it's still pretty new, and there are still many computers out there that use 32bit OSs. The programmers probably coded for 32bit OSs, and possibly Vista 64bit, which is slightly different programming-wise than 7 64bit
lecture.gif

Also, the graphical glitches and crashing aren't cases of "I don't know how to use it". Even if I didn't know how to use a web browser, how would that cause Flash, Java, and crashing issues?
rolleyes.gif
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Anyways, I dislike chrome because it sucks at switching between something like 15 tabs when I could do it with ease with over 20 in Firefox.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cause you know java problems have been fixed since sometime last year for 64-bit operating systems, the problem you've described with java was originally pretty much with everyone on 64bit platforms using the 32-bit version of java. and as for flash? there isn't a specific 64 bit flash as yet, though the latest version of it has fixed a bit of the crashing, users are reporting less frequent crashes.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
chrisman01 said:
Hey, don't give me that crap. I'm an IT tech, so I know how computers and programs work.What you're posting is the result of speculation and personal opinion, not the result of any actual IT process.

chrisman01 said:
It appears that Chrome wasn't coded correctly to work with every computer, just the most common ones. There may be a conflict somewhere regarding my uncommon CPU (unlikely, but plausible), GPU (considering all the graphical glitches, this may be the most likely), or the fact that I'm using Windows 7 64bit.That has nothing to do with anything, since most programs work through either the windows API (which is standardized), assembly/direct processor calls (which, again, are standardized as instruction sets like MMX and the SSE variants, and a program can easily find what's supported and what's not, and any recent intel or AMD processor will support any required instruction sets for chrome), or some other supplied API, like OpenGL or DirectX, which, again, are standardized. Other than the processor instruction sets, all the other things can be upgraded via software, and since you're using the most recent windows OS, you have access to everything required.

chrisman01 said:
lecture.gif
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee418798(VS.85).aspx
Near the bottom...
processors with AMD64 and Intel 64 architecture can execute 32-bit instructions natively

EDIT: Damn quotes, fixed.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chrisman01 said:
.Radiant said:

lecture.gif

rolleyes.gif

What's your certification?
QUOTE(.Radiant @ Feb 26 2010, 11:34 PM)
cause you know java problems have been fixed since sometime last year for 64-bit operating systems, the problem you've described with java was originally pretty much with everyone on 64bit platforms using the 32-bit version of java. and as for flash? there isn't a specific 64 bit flash as yet, though the latest version of it has fixed a bit of the crashing, users are reporting less frequent crashes.
Thats going in the 'ole Medulla Oblengada [? I hope to God I spelled that right] filing cabinet.

I have been using Chrome for about four months now, and have not had ANY problems with it.

chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
CompTIA A+

I know it has next to nothing to do with this, but it shows I'm not some n00b that doesn't know how to use computers, and that I know my laptop more than meets the requirements for Chrome.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Hands-On-Acer...ew.18838.0.html

The only difference is my version has a 2.1ghz dual core, GeForce GT 130M 1GB, and a 640gb hard drive (which I just cloned and installed myself. +270gb of free space FTW
yay.gif
).

BeatriceTheGolde

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
tempchan.co.cc
XP
Country
Canada
chrisman01 said:
CompTIA A+
QUOTE said:
CompTIA A+ Essentials measures the necessary competencies of an entry-level IT professional with a recommended 500 hours of hands-on experience in the lab or field. It tests for the fundamentals of computer technology, networking and security, as well as the communication skills and professionalism now required of all entry-level IT professionals.
CompTIA A+ Practical Application is an extension of the knowledge and skills identified in CompTIA A+ Essentials, with more of a "hands-on" orientation focused on scenarios in which troubleshooting and tools must be applied to resolve problems.

I know it has next to nothing to do with this, but it shows I'm not some n00b that doesn't know how to use computers, and that I know my laptop more than meets the requirements for Chrome.

QUOTE(chrisman01 @ Feb 28 2010, 12:04 AM)
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Hands-On-Acer...ew.18838.0.html

The only difference is my version has a 2.1ghz dual core, GeForce GT 130M 1GB, and a 640gb hard drive (which I just cloned and installed myself. +270gb of free space FTW
yay.gif
).

You know what... Nevermind. Enjoy not using Google Chrome.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER