Chishm hints at keeping DS ROM Dumping Method Secr

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I don't see what the problem is, scene groups keep private tools to themselves all the time - why should a guy whose primary involvement is with homebrew release a rom dumper publicly? Some of the immature comments in this thread just highlight why this shouldn't be released publicly.
PIRACY IS A PRIVILEGE

I also see this as a challenge of sorts to the scene groups to show what they can do
wink.gif

DrKupo

Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't see what the problem is, scene groups keep private tools to themselves all the time - why should a guy whose primary involvement is with homebrew release a rom dumper publicly? Some of the immature comments in this thread just highlight why a lot of people don't even deserve one.
PIRACY IS A PRIVILEGE

I also see this as a challenge of sorts to the scene groups to show what they can do
wink.gif

PIRACY IS A GOD GIVEN RIGHT DIRTIE YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I don't see what the problem is, scene groups keep private tools to themselves all the time - why should a guy whose primary involvement is with homebrew release a rom dumper publicly? Some of the immature comments in this thread just highlight why a lot of people don't even deserve one.
PIRACY IS A PRIVILEGE

wink.gif

Oh, my bad :'(

Wuschmaster

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why does this "news"-post even exist? I'm really disappointed of GBAtemp... thinking about leaving the site...
Opium obviously had intention of stoking hate against chishm.

I wouldn't be surprised if this would make chishm leave the homebrew scene entirely... good work GBAtemp
sleep.gif
dry.gif

...Let's just hope Opium will lose the right to post news...
hate2.gif

Seyiji

Rawr :3
Trophies
Website
www.rage3d.com
XP
Country
United States
its an ingenious strategy. This makes people with flashcarts want to buy real games so that they can cheat on them. Pick, 40 bux for an action replay, or 40 bux for a game? And now you see. It does not make sense. If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must concede!

---Imgod22222 using the Chewbacca Defense
Its not even that much they retail for $24.95! Hell the Wal-Mart 2 miles away from me had them on sale for $14.99 at one point!

But no matter the price it doesn't mean crap to those who have slot 1 solutions because the Action Replay DS doesn't work in conjunction with them. So its a moot point.

Chishm sure opened up a can of worms with this particular piece of software.

I think I'll head to the storm cellar until this shit storm is over
cry.gif

santakuroosu

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I don't see what the problem is, scene groups keep private tools to themselves all the time
The news post makes it seem like he's bragging about making a great tool to dump roms but he's not going to release it, that he's just mentioning it to spite everyone in the rom dumping scene because he thinks they're morons.

But that's just my take on the quote, not on the original thread Chishm made (that I read after my first post on this topic)

faceless

pink sugar heart attack
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
alot of you complain about him not releasing the source to make a dumper, but in all honesty why would you need a dumper? you download your games like everyone else to avoid paying for the games, what would be the point of having the dumper so you can go down to gamestop buy a game and dump it and return the game? and say look i dumped my game?

most of the time the groups release the more anticipated games asap.

most people will not need the dumper, and some just want it for bragging rights to show there friends how much of a hacker they are when its some one elses work.

its his creation he can do what he wants with it.
you know what, when you put the reasoning out like that, the only people who need a dumper are the ones who buy games and just want to play them on a flashkit so they dont have to carry multiple games around...

all 3 of those people should be so upset!

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Why does this "news"-post even exist? I'm really disappointed of GBAtemp... thinking about leaving the site...
Opium obviously had intention of stoking hate against chishm.

I wouldn't be surprised if this would make chishm leave the homebrew scene entirely... good work GBAtemp
sleep.gif
dry.gif

...Let's just hope Opium will lose the right to post news...Â
hate2.gif

Excuse me? I really appreciate chishm for everything he's done for the homebrew scene, I've already said that in this thread. It's some of the members here that are all up in arms against him about this news and frankly I don't see why. Chishm can do what he likes, it's his code he has been slaving over for 5 days to create!

I thought it would be news as it was interesting to hear that a application like Nitro Hax could be developed into an effective dumping tool (somehow). Perhaps one arguement for posting this news was 'hey coders out there, perhaps you can get an idea for making a dumping tool from this'. If it's interesting and relevant to the scene then why wouldn't it be news?

It's an interesting issue wouldn't you agree? The gaps between the homebrew and pirate scene. This is not meant to stir up anything but to provoke intelligent discussion.

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
I thought it would be news as it was interesting to hear that a application like Nitro Hax could be developed into an effective dumping tool (somehow).
Any application can be converted to something bad if you want to. The GPL protects you against such things. Changes made to your application are the responsibility of the person doing the changes so any bad things done to your code are not your faults. If everyone would stop releasing sources for Free Software because somebody could turn it bad we could stop entirely with Free Software at all. Granted his tool is more prone to such an act than something like Audacious but the principle stays the same.

TPi

One Tired Raccoon
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

Also, thanks to chism for his GBAMP homebrew hack, and other stuff he's made for the NDS homebrew scene, but wtf is the point of him saying this besides just bragging or looking cool among his homebrew peers. How many games haven't been able to be dumped? Why do we need a new dumper?
emotsquirtlesquadaq7.gif

squall3031

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So what?
who cares if he doesn't want to give his little program away, just keep dumping games and i'll be happy
smile.gif

by the way, i play
psp.gif
for now. huwahaha

kobewan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alright, seriously now, how can anybody be pissed of at chishm for this (or Opium for that matter)? At no point of the opening post did I think "Man, that's a pretty arrogant thing to say". His point(s) seemed to be:

1. He will not be open-sourcing Nitro Hax, since the code *will* be used for illegal purposes. No matter what your stance on piracy is, you have to accept the fact that it is still illegal and he doesn't want to be doing something illegal.
2. He will also not be open-sourcing Nitro Hax at the time, since he put a lot of effort into it.
3. He had to write his own dumper because the ones that exist openly right now are not good enough to be used for this project. This answers the people asking why he would spend so much time writing something that could be used for piracy, if he is so against piracy.
4. There are also some people who would argue this point: "There are already ROM dumpers out in public, so if you released yours it won't matter since you won't actually be changing anything". His response to this is basically "Yes, there are dumpers out right now, but I'm not going to release mine since it's better than those. This means that, potentially, my program will be the only working dumper in the future. I don't want to help piracy by doing this."

Nothing that he said has anything to do with his ego. He believes that piracy is wrong; that's fine, and he is in agreement with the majority of the people of the world(including most of the people whose job it is to decide things like this). Also, please don't blame Opium for assuming that people here would have fairly average intelligence and be able to understand those points for themselves.

GBA_Temper

*KING OF GBATEMP*
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Man whats up with everyone trying to DIS Chishm he has done alot of stuff.....Now let's think for a minute if chism gets really fuckin mad at this forum in he stop support NDS...Who would take his place? I havn't heard or seen someone that can really do codeing good as him. When Chishm release GBAMP V2 CF Firmware Hack everyone was like (THANK YOU Chishm!!! I REALLY APPRECIATE THE HACK NOW I CAN PLAY NDS HOMEBREW THANKS MAN YOU ARE THE COOLEST!!!!) But when I had a GBAMP V2 SD he didn't get the SD Drivers to work for it, so I was stuck on 2 sulutions...
1)Get a GBAMP V2 CF
2)Get a new FlashCart

I chose option 2, which I now have a G6 Lite (4GB) with passcard....I even wanted to tell Chishm thanks for all his hardwork on the GBAMP V2 CF, but I only have SD version. Without Chishm we wouldn't have many of the stuff we have today for out FlashCarts. Everyone needs to thank him for his hardwork in I know it really has paid off....

Killamurk07

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
While I don't necessarily support Chism's stance on Piracy, it is his right to be able to say no to piracy and not release the source code that could be used for something he loathes.
Nobody should ever flame someone like Chism for something like this. While I don't think he should have essentially flamed release groups for using "inferior dumping methods" (fat chance of that, Legacy has their own hardware for it.) Chism is one of the best, if not THE best, hacker we have on the DS scene. He has the DS firmware for the GBAMP (which lets you use the WRG dumper, which is another thing you people flamed and should have not, on a GBAMP), his palib, DLDI, now this Nitro Hax, and all that other awesome stuff he's done.
I'm sure that dumping groups are constantly improving dumping methods if need be. If someone who hates piracy can develop an "ultimate" game dumper in 5 days, I'm sure that groups dedicated to piracy could develop a different, or possibly the same, "ultimate" dumper.
The people who flamed Chism for this and WRG for possibly leaving the DS scene need to grow up. These people [Chism, WRG, and other related "people"]spend time an probably money for your benefit, and they do one thing wrong and you're all over it, saying that they suck ass. Get real.

mackster

Trophies
XP
Country
much respect to chism .. its sad to see people going ape shiot at chism we should be kneeling down and sucking his....knee cap for all the stuff hes done for the scene and all

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu