Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia

Chishm hints at keeping DS ROM Dumping Method Secret

"writing a ROM dumper was step 1 in writing Nitro Hax"

ds-slot.jpg

Famous DS scene coder chishm hints that he created a new, effective DS ROM dumper, however it will never be released. It was revealed when asked why the source code for his Action Replay clone 'Nitro Hax' would not be released.

chishm said:
The code is very easy to adapt to dumping ROMs. In fact, writing a (private, never-to-be-released) ROM dumper was step 1 in writing Nitro Hax.

You'd be suprised at how incompetent some of the release groups are. Many are using ROM dumping tools that fail for newer DS Cards, and they don't have a clue how to fix it. I'd like to keep it that way for a little longer.

Also, this code is my precious. It took me 5 solid days of hacking and coding to get it this far. I release many things as open source (libfat, NDSMP) but I think this is too valuable to give away.

Chishm is an avid homebrew supporter with his works on libfat and DLDI for the DS and GBA but stands against piracy. So for now keep those GBAMP's handy!

icon11.gif
Source

-EX-

Racer
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Jet Impulse thing? It's dumped. Talk about the "incompetency" of groups.

Get lost, chishm, with your freaking anti-piracy policy.

chillyp

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I hope this doesn't make people think less of chishm. The amount of work he puts into homebrew is incredible, along with Darkfader and others.

I'm glad he has chosen to stick to his principles and is not releasing the code to his dumper.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I wonder why he bothered writing it in the first place?

HEY GUYZ. I WROTE A SUPER DUPER PROGRAM FOR BURNING IMAGES BUT I CAN'T RELEASE IT BECAUSE YOU MIGHT USE IT FOR BURNING DEM ILLEGAL PS2 ISOS.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

I wonder why he bothered writing it in the first place?

HEY GUYZ. I WROTE A SUPER DUPER PROGRAM FOR BURNING IMAGES BUT I CAN'T RELEASE IT BECAUSE YOU MIGHT USE IT FOR BURNING DEM ILLEGAL PS2 ISOS.

i agree he should not try to wind everyone up. However no one should be telling him to get lost because hes done a lot for us all.

-EX-

Racer
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
His attitude is ridiculous. The homebrew scene and the roms scene is the same thing, it's all tied together. You can't support one without supporting the other.

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I respect his decision. It's not like we *need* his dumper anyways. Plenty of other groups out there successfully dumping games.
smile.gif

rest0re

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
"heheeheheh AAH OOH YOU GOTZ THE MOST POWERFU FL FDUMPER AND YOU DONT GIVE TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.... MOMMYYYYY" -ex-

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
His attitude is ridiculous. The homebrew scene and the roms scene is the same thing, it's all tied together. You can't support one without supporting the other.
No it's not. Rom's are from games made by companies who need to get money from them, if everybody only downloads roms and never buys games, those companies will loose money and stop making games.
Homebrew are programs/games made by people for free, they are made to be downloaded and not even buyable, for homebrew goes the opposite: if nobody download them the creator will stop making stuff.
Quite a difference if you ask me.
wtf.gif

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

No it's not. Rom's are from games made by companies who need to get money from them, if everybody only downloads roms and never buys games, those companies will loose money and stop making games.
Homebrew are programs/games made by people for free, they are made to be downloaded and not even buyable, for homebrew goes the opposite: if nobody download them the creator will stop making stuff.
Quite a difference if you ask me.
wtf.gif

most people would not even buy a handheld system or a console if they knew there would be no hack to play free games. People like me cant fork out hundreds of pounds. You spent a fortune on games and when you get home you go to play them and half of them are sh**. Lower the price of games thats what i say.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
most people would not even buy a handheld system or a console if they knew there would be no hack to play free games.
If this were true there never would have been a GBA or N64, much less a DS or Wii. The vast majority of people buy their games. If they didn't there would be no market for Nintendo to release games and systems into.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
most people would not even buy a handheld system or a console if they knew there would be no hack to play free games.
If this were true there never would have been a GBA or N64, much less a DS or Wii. The vast majority of people buy their games. If they didn't there would be no market for Nintendo to release games and systems into.

the people who dont know about modding buy games or the people who can afford it do. however people it do know about modding and dont have much money rely on mods. (i did not mean most people would not buy a system i ment lots of people) i would not be buying the games i download anyway. I buy games like final fantasy because i know i will like it.

Here an example i downloaded blade for the xbox the other day but i would have no intensions of buying it so thats zero profit loss for the company.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i did not mean most people would not buy a system i ment lots of people
Well say what you mean next time.
nyanya.gif

I'm not saying you shouldn't download games, but realize what you are doing. When I download a game, I'm stealing it according to the laws of every land I know of. I can live with that. If you can't live with that knowledge, then don't download games. Do not pretend that you're not legally stealing.

As far as lost profits, or the lack thereof, I agree with you.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i did not mean most people would not buy a system i ment lots of people
Well say what you mean next time.
nyanya.gif

I'm not saying you shouldn't download games, but realize what you are doing. When I download a game, I'm stealing it according to the laws of every land I know of. I can live with that. If you can't live with that knowledge, then don't download games. Do not pretend that you're not legally stealing.

As far as lost profits, or the lack thereof, I agree with you.

Well say what you mean next time

i will try next time
laugh.gif
we basically have the same opinions. I just did not put my view across in the right way.
shy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them