Homebrew Checkpoint, a simple and fast save manager

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just to let others know, I tried crossing them and they are not. At least not with changing and arranging folders properly, with some numbers for specific game, Title Keys I'd guess.
I was under the impression that you could back up save files with Checkpoint, overwrite the files in that backup with files made using JKSM, and then restore the backup with Checkpoint again. Is that not the case?

Reactions: SCOTT0852

CaptainSodaPop

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I was under the impression that you could back up save files with Checkpoint, overwrite the files in that backup with files made using JKSM, and then restore the backup with Checkpoint again. Is that not the case?

That still requires transferring all the games you have saves for, which is again a lot of hassle.

russo3ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Good! To be clear, Tomodachi Life has a Title ID of 000400000008C300 according to 3dsdb, so you'll find the save file in title\00040000\0008C300 . After you copy it to somewhere else on your hard drive, use 3ds-save-tool (specifically disa-extract.py) to unpack it.
Finally i was able to recover all saves from the broken 3ds using fuse 3ds and 3ds-save-tool. Then i restore on the new 3ds using checkpoint and all goes ok :)

Elliander

Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
I see that checkpoint can backup extdata. Since the streetpass data is located in extdata, can it backup that as well? and can it batch backup/restore all saves at once time? Also, I see in this thread a suggestion to remove a flash cart first.

Thing is, I am trying to transfer a system from a Gateway emuNAND, and am looking into using checkpoint for that, so I won't be able to remove the flash cart.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since the streetpass data is located in extdata, can it backup that as well? and can it batch backup/restore all saves at once time?
Some Streetpass (i.e. Mii Plaza) data is located in extdata, and some of it isn't. I don't think there's any elegant way to reliably transfer all of it at once. This post on Reddit has the most information you're likely to find on the subject:
https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/70gwgu/everything_you_wanted_to_know_about_the_3ds_but/

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see that checkpoint can backup extdata. Since the streetpass data is located in extdata, can it backup that as well? and can it batch backup/restore all saves at once time? Also, I see in this thread a suggestion to remove a flash cart first.

Thing is, I am trying to transfer a system from a Gateway emuNAND, and am looking into using checkpoint for that, so I won't be able to remove the flash cart.
JKSM can backup NAND extdata and saves.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So this program's TWL/NTR handling is ported right from TWLSaveTool, which could never handle DS carts with NAND saves (unless some recent repo push adds this support, the latest stable doesn't dump the 16 MiB/MB - stupid Microsoft and their mixing kilos and kibis at arbitrary times - saves for WarioWare DIY) but I found this ridiculously legacy program that actually can handle DIY saves. Over NTR Wi-Fi. But it can handle them.

tagging @EventAssistant because this might be useful if you ever decide to be feature complete; not certain though

Reactions: DSoryu

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I found this ridiculously legacy program that actually can handle DIY saves. Over NTR Wi-Fi. But it can handle them.
Nice! I have been wondering about that myself. My favorite DS utility is savegame-manager, but it doesn't understand NAND either.

Is it usable for both save and restore?

Last edited by Kwyjor,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Is the latest version still 3.6.0?
It's been 8 months since the last release in Github, so I was just wondering.

Also, how reliable/easy to use is this compared to JKSM?
I've been using that one since forever, and I've been thinking about migrating everything from my N3DS to a N2DS.
And can this also backup DSiWare saves?

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
New version is out with cool improvements. Anyone tested it ?

Yup, it loads faster, has Sharkive built in, and an improved UI (But not too different from the previous one). The only thing that is stil bugging me since the release is the lack of a rename option to complete library save backup (holding Y then press Backup), because it only stores the savegames as their backup date automatically and it becomes confusing when transferring saves from one system to another.

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi!

The new checkpoint versions shows a warning message to not run it in applet mode. But when I open cheats menu, it crashes on normal mode. It only rins in applet mode. Are the dev aware of this? Thx

JaNDeRPeiCH

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Im grateful for the dev making the checkpoint for the 3ds version,needs some love for this unaprecciated console.Question for everyone ¿where to get stable cheats for checkpoint? I tested some cheat games in their github and not all the cheats are working.For example Shin Megami Devil Survivor for 3ds max money in battle its working,but fire emblem echoes all the codes doesnt work.

Edit:I have a new 2dsxl aqua(cyan color)

MonaBlank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How exactly does the cheats menu work? I'm actually confused cause It doesn't seem to do anything for the game itself...

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out.. sorry haha..

Last edited by MonaBlank,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show