Checkpoint, a simple and fast save manager

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by EventAssistant, Oct 1, 2017.

1. CaptainSodaPop

CaptainSodaPop Mario Kart 7 Semi Pro

Aug 10, 2012
    Croatia
    Are JKSV saves compatible with this? Don't feel like taking everything over from there manually but like the looks better here.

2. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 Some Dude on the Internet

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    afaik yep.

3. CaptainSodaPop

Aug 10, 2012
    Croatia
    Just to let others know, I tried crossing them and they are not. At least not with changing and arranging folders properly, with some numbers for specific game, Title Keys I'd guess.

4. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 23, 2018
    Canada
    I was under the impression that you could back up save files with Checkpoint, overwrite the files in that backup with files made using JKSM, and then restore the backup with Checkpoint again. Is that not the case?

SCOTT0852 likes this.
  5. CaptainSodaPop

Aug 10, 2012
    Croatia
    That still requires transferring all the games you have saves for, which is again a lot of hassle.

6. russo3ds

russo3ds Member

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2017
    Barbados
    Finally i was able to recover all saves from the broken 3ds using fuse 3ds and 3ds-save-tool. Then i restore on the new 3ds using checkpoint and all goes ok :)

7. Elliander

Elliander GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 16, 2011
    United States
    Illinois
    I see that checkpoint can backup extdata. Since the streetpass data is located in extdata, can it backup that as well? and can it batch backup/restore all saves at once time? Also, I see in this thread a suggestion to remove a flash cart first.

Thing is, I am trying to transfer a system from a Gateway emuNAND, and am looking into using checkpoint for that, so I won't be able to remove the flash cart.

8. Kwyjor

May 23, 2018
    Canada
    Some Streetpass (i.e. Mii Plaza) data is located in extdata, and some of it isn't. I don't think there's any elegant way to reliably transfer all of it at once. This post on Reddit has the most information you're likely to find on the subject:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/70gwgu/everything_you_wanted_to_know_about_the_3ds_but/

9. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    JKSM can backup NAND extdata and saves.

10. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Don't suppose there's a switch .bin payload version in the works? ;) Or, to ask more politely, what is the feasibility of such a feat?

Last edited by osaka35, Apr 11, 2019
  11. N7Kopper

N7Kopper Proud lover of a three-inch girlfriend

Aug 24, 2014
    United Kingdom
    So this program's TWL/NTR handling is ported right from TWLSaveTool, which could never handle DS carts with NAND saves (unless some recent repo push adds this support, the latest stable doesn't dump the 16 MiB/MB - stupid Microsoft and their mixing kilos and kibis at arbitrary times - saves for WarioWare DIY) but I found this ridiculously legacy program that actually can handle DIY saves. Over NTR Wi-Fi. But it can handle them.

tagging @EventAssistant because this might be useful if you ever decide to be feature complete; not certain though

Dartz150 likes this.
  12. Kwyjor

May 23, 2018
    Canada
    Nice! I have been wondering about that myself. My favorite DS utility is savegame-manager, but it doesn't understand NAND either.

Is it usable for both save and restore?

Last edited by Kwyjor, Apr 24, 2019
  13. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Is the latest version still 3.6.0?
    It's been 8 months since the last release in Github, so I was just wondering.

Also, how reliable/easy to use is this compared to JKSM?
    I've been using that one since forever, and I've been thinking about migrating everything from my N3DS to a N2DS.
    And can this also backup DSiWare saves?

14. mspy

mspy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2018
    Brazil
    New version is out with cool improvements. Anyone tested it ?

Dartz150 likes this.
  15. Dartz150

Dartz150 Hat Gurl Official Fan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    Under your bed
    Yup, it loads faster, has Sharkive built in, and an improved UI (But not too different from the previous one). The only thing that is stil bugging me since the release is the lack of a rename option to complete library save backup (holding Y then press Backup), because it only stores the savegames as their backup date automatically and it becomes confusing when transferring saves from one system to another.

16. IceBlueLugia

IceBlueLugia GBAtemp Regular

Nov 4, 2016
    United States
    i downloaded the latest version but when I open it up on my 3DS it gives me a black screen, what should I do?

17. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 Some Dude on the Internet

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    How are you launching it (steelhax, pichaxx, homebrew launcher icon on your home menu, etc)?

18. toxic9

toxic9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 13, 2016
    Hi!

The new checkpoint versions shows a warning message to not run it in applet mode. But when I open cheats menu, it crashes on normal mode. It only rins in applet mode. Are the dev aware of this? Thx

19. JaNDeRPeiCH

JaNDeRPeiCH Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 19, 2019
    Mexico
    Unknown
    Im grateful for the dev making the checkpoint for the 3ds version,needs some love for this unaprecciated console.Question for everyone ¿where to get stable cheats for checkpoint? I tested some cheat games in their github and not all the cheats are working.For example Shin Megami Devil Survivor for 3ds max money in battle its working,but fire emblem echoes all the codes doesnt work.

Edit:I have a new 2dsxl aqua(cyan color)

20. MonaBlank

MonaBlank Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2019
    United States
    How exactly does the cheats menu work? I'm actually confused cause It doesn't seem to do anything for the game itself...

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out.. sorry haha..

Last edited by MonaBlank, Sep 22, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted