Homebrew Discussion Cheatslips is stealing the cheats of GBATemp and the cheat creators are bummed

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Maybe all the people making the cheats on gbatemp should form a group, and make their own website, that way they can get something out of the work they do, instead of someone else making money off their work. That way you can get all the recognition and credit you deserve for the hard work you do. Also, you could tell the loyal fanbase on gbatemp to use your site and not theirs.
Unfortunately it will still be the same. Anyone can download it from said site and upload to any other. So it's not really a solution.

EDIT: Isn't the subscription perks only for people using the API?
Else you just download like normal? Or have I gotten it wrong?

Last edited by linuxares,
Reactions: matias3ds

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe all the people making the cheats on gbatemp should form a group, and make their own website, that way they can get something out of the work they do, instead of someone else making money off their work. That way you can get all the recognition and credit you deserve for the hard work you do. Also, you could tell the loyal fanbase on gbatemp to use your site and not theirs.

That is a good idea, I can link their patreon pages if they tag in the cheat entry.

Reactions: piek50

matias3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Unfortunately it will still be the same. Anyone can download it from said site and upload to any other. So it's not really a solution.

EDIT: Isn't the subscription perks only for people using the API?
Else you just download like normal? Or have I gotten it wrong?
The last time i tried it was for free , i dont know now .

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is very little that can be done, because users here are then going to cheatslips and posting the codes.

the only way this can be avoided is if there was a means of encrypting your cheat file so its locked and cant be viewed.

if people really want to take action, simply report the website to nintendo, im sure their legal team will be happy to shut them down, making money off hacking nintendo products.

matias3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
there is very little that can be done, because users here are then going to cheatslips and posting the codes.

the only way this can be avoided is if there was a means of encrypting your cheat file so its locked and cant be viewed.

if people really want to take action, simply report the website to nintendo, im sure their legal team will be happy to shut them down, making money off hacking nintendo products.
Do you have a link were we cant report the site , maybe if we all do send , this complain it might be heard

Reactions: piek50

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

On the legal front that gets tricky.

Classically speaking you have the Sega vs accolade (more or less the original "your system, your rules" case), Galoob vs Nintendo (game genie on the NES), some of the world of warcraft in more recent times that rule "memory on your system is your memory do with what you will", 30+ years of things being on the market and actively sold (even if in big boy real world shops) https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ified-that-summer-i-played-230-game-boy-games and everybody and their mother housing lists of game genie, gameshark, codebreaker, goldfinger... cheats with adverts and donation drives and whatever (go on whatever remains of gamefaqs and see date posted for lists of gameshark/featuring gameshark codes -- many in the 90s would still have been being actively sold).
I don't have a legal reading for this but I presume Datel et al would do the whole encrypted cheats thing as well precisely because protections were otherwise minimal.

There have been a handful of cases (WOW glider and some recent stuff with Fortnite cheats) but they usually revolve around online games where a would be cheater could be said to impact a service.

To that end I would be back at the would be cheat makers might have to see what they have as far as copyright and go from there. I am not sure what counts as what here, even more so if you are going to contrast cheats tickling memory and cheats tickling ROM (not sure what goes for this on the Switch but if needs be I will do a proof of concept there). Generally speaking an individual cheat is unlikely to have much protection (it is usually patents for genes which is broadly analogous from where I sit) and even the text that goes with it is usually functional rather than creative (and that is a fairly high bar, see that case a little while back with the dentist taking pictures).
A compilation of things can rise to the level of copyright (the general case people look to here in the US being the phone book cases wherein a collection of phone numbers did actually count) but that still gets tricky and would revolve around one or more aggrieved parties (that being those that made the cheats, Nintendo presumably not making them via a sock puppet meaning it then falls to the cheat makers to try on a case, seldom a cheap hobby).
At very best Nintendo could try on a my wallet is fatter than your wallet/we have a legal team on staff case.

With all that said I am back again to just ignore it and be glad you made someone happy, subtle jabs (sabotage is not really on) and being the better service*.

*individual games might require big boy effort, though I am sure there is a wordpress script out there could could abuse as it is essentially somewhere between a shop, info database and address book, but I reckon a "those who also played" collection (or maybe just genre if you are boring) might do if the total compiled size for the whole console library is larger than might be ideal for someone wanting an individual game.

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just looked at the site, the first thing I see is they are using the Nintendo switch logo as their logo. That might be enough to get Nintendo interested in shutting the site down.

livinitwarrior

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just looked at the site, the first thing I see is they are using the Nintendo switch logo as their logo. That might be enough to get Nintendo interested in shutting the site down.

While I don't create cheats myself, I think talking to the administrators of the site first and figuring out a solution should be primary, not dropping more websites on N******'s radar. If we're all pirates together, it makes no sense to take out another website offering a service that is still primarily free in it's uses, unless you want them to aim for Reddit and GBATemp as well. I would hope that would never be the initial solution

matias3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
While I don't create cheats myself, I think talking to the administrators of the site first and figuring out a solution should be primary, not dropping more websites on N******'s radar. If we're all pirates together, it makes no sense to take out another website offering a service that is still primarily free in it's uses, unless you want them to aim for Reddit and GBATemp as well. I would hope that would never be the initial solution
Talking has been made and cheats tooked from here hasnt been removed

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think if you take something free from someone and try to make money off the hard work of others without giving credit where it is due you deserve to get your website taken down by any means nessessary.

PS, you can say Nintendo

Last edited by wicksand420,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So no one wanna really discuss a solution rather than trying to bring down a hammer?
there is no solution as the owner insists he is doing nothing wrong in charging subscription fees, even for the likes of ZiT expressing clearly in here not to leak his codes to any other website.

users here ignore this and posts them to cheatslips.

you email the site to remove your codes that have been stolen, and they refuse to do so.

doctordoom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is only one solution, Cheatslips pays a portion of the profits to the code creators. Nothing else will work. Say they form a group and start a patreon. How long until one or more donators start posting the codes on another site with ads? You know that will happen. No matter how they do it, free or paid, the codes will be posted elsewhere for free to everyone else. They have two choices, start earning something for their codes and realize they will be leaked for free or do them for free and accept they will be leaked to other sites.

Iliak

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.cheatslips.com
XP
Country
United States
Okey, I've spoken with iliak, he doesn't like that you guys are upset either. He feel it's a dick move for people to upload with out giving your guys credits and not accepting for example ZiT when he asks for his cheats not to be reprinted.

What I wanna do, I want especially you cheats makers to either talk with each other, or talk with me in a group and see what can make everyone happy.

So I more than welcome your solutions posted either PM me or post here, I don't mind it being public and I want to hear your ideas.
At the moment I suggested he adds a "report button", add Credits inside the cheat file and suggested his website scan for example a tag inside the cheat with example {no share}. But since it's clear text, it's easy to modify it and remove said tags. But it's something?

Anyway, post away! Especially you cheat coders, I want to hear your thoughts so YOU are happy. It's your work and you have the right to it. I'm really grateful for all your work and how some games that are a grind fest for no reason can be enjoyed!

EDIT: He also likes if I gather the info and talk with him. Instead of 10 people, basically I will try to summarize what everyone have said.

Hi,

I am the person who manages the site www.cheatslips.com. I am following this thread carefully because there is a real basic problem that arises.
All the work deserves to be recognized and I understand the point of view of cheat code makers who may feel robbed. I am sorry for this situation and
I think there are a lot of misunderstandings and misunderstandings.

Since the beginning of the site, crediting the authors of cheat code has been a major problem. So far I haven't found THE solution.

Currently, anyone registered on the site can submit codes. This is the very principle of the site.
If you are trying to submit a code, there is the option to credit the source. It happens sometimes that this field is not filled because
the origin is unknown or the person submitting the code does not complete it.
I fully understand your feelings. You have done work and it is not assigned to you.
Let me be clear, there was never any question of attributing your work for the benefit of the site in any way.

As I said, this is a problem that has been present since the origin of the site and that I am still trying to resolve.
When the author's name is specified when submitting the code, it is displayed in the code page (ie: https://www.cheatslips.com/game/pokemon-sword/2577)

The leads I currently have are as follows:
- Cheat maker creates an account on the site and he submits his codes directly. Thus the author is directly associated with his work.
- There is a huge demand for the demand for code creation (see the Discord). I think it is possible to create an interface on the site to put the requesters and the code makers in direct contact.

I don't have so many leads, but I remain open to any constructive criticism / proposal.
For that, you have to contact me, either via the form on the site or on the Discord server which is there for that.

From the start, the site has always been free. At no time did you have to pay to have access to the codes. Thus the codes are freely accessible and without registration
(https://www.cheatslips.com/game/cobra-kai-the-karate-kid-saga-continues/2589/sources). On the other hand in order to be able to have a certain comfort of use, it is possible to
download an archive with the right format (like file in the right directory...) by registering for free. Shortly after the launch of Animal Crossing New Horizons I put in
place an editor with the help of other people. It is freely accessible (you have to register, however) with premium options which are available through subscription.
There is also an API endpoint. The idea is to be able to provide cheats codes directly from a homebrew for example (that would be great, right?). The problem is that at the beginning there was no quota and
obviously, people got into it and looted the base to the detriment of others and of the available resources.
I had to make a decision hence the quota. Does the quota seem too small to you? Let me know, nothing is set in stone.

Setting up, managing, developing features and monitoring the site costs time and money. Unfortunately nothing is free in this world.
So I set up 3 sources of income:
- ads
- donations
- subscription

There is advertising on the site and it is a choice that I assume. A simple ad blocker can fix this problem.
Regarding donations, it is very clearly marked on the page (https://www.cheatslips.com/donate) that it is not to create codes or to
support the code creators but only to support the site.
Finally, the subscription. It is also very clearly specified the purposes of this one (https://www.cheatslips.com/subscriptions).
At no time was there any question of paying access. Only premium options are accessible via subscription!

As a reminder, this project is done on my free time and my personal resources. The idea is to provide you, the players and the cheat makers, with a pleasant and friendly meeting point.
It's up to you to identify your needs and see what can be done together.

As I told you, I understand your feelings and I remain open to improve things.
It would be a shame if those who bring the community to life through their fabulous work stop there, now, there is so much to do!

The main point is to communicate :)

Iliak

matias3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi,

I am the person who manages the site www.cheatslips.com. I am following this thread carefully because there is a real basic problem that arises.
All the work deserves to be recognized and I understand the point of view of cheat code makers who may feel robbed. I am sorry for this situation and

Since the beginning of the site, crediting the authors of cheat code has been a major problem. So far I haven't found THE solution.

Currently, anyone registered on the site can submit codes. This is the very principle of the site.
If you are trying to submit a code, there is the option to credit the source. It happens sometimes that this field is not filled because
I fully understand your feelings. You have done work and it is not assigned to you.
Let me be clear, there was never any question of attributing your work for the benefit of the site in any way.

As I said, this is a problem that has been present since the origin of the site and that I am still trying to resolve.
When the author's name is specified when submitting the code, it is displayed in the code page (ie: https://www.cheatslips.com/game/pokemon-sword/2577)

- Cheat maker creates an account on the site and he submits his codes directly. Thus the author is directly associated with his work.
- There is a huge demand for the demand for code creation (see the Discord). I think it is possible to create an interface on the site to put the requesters and the code makers in direct contact.

I don't have so many leads, but I remain open to any constructive criticism / proposal.
For that, you have to contact me, either via the form on the site or on the Discord server which is there for that.

From the start, the site has always been free. At no time did you have to pay to have access to the codes. Thus the codes are freely accessible and without registration
(https://www.cheatslips.com/game/cobra-kai-the-karate-kid-saga-continues/2589/sources). On the other hand in order to be able to have a certain comfort of use, it is possible to
download an archive with the right format (like file in the right directory...) by registering for free. Shortly after the launch of Animal Crossing New Horizons I put in
place an editor with the help of other people. It is freely accessible (you have to register, however) with premium options which are available through subscription.
There is also an API endpoint. The idea is to be able to provide cheats codes directly from a homebrew for example (that would be great, right?). The problem is that at the beginning there was no quota and
obviously, people got into it and looted the base to the detriment of others and of the available resources.
I had to make a decision hence the quota. Does the quota seem too small to you? Let me know, nothing is set in stone.

Setting up, managing, developing features and monitoring the site costs time and money. Unfortunately nothing is free in this world.
- ads
- donations
- subscription

There is advertising on the site and it is a choice that I assume. A simple ad blocker can fix this problem.
Regarding donations, it is very clearly marked on the page (https://www.cheatslips.com/donate) that it is not to create codes or to
Finally, the subscription. It is also very clearly specified the purposes of this one (https://www.cheatslips.com/subscriptions).
At no time was there any question of paying access. Only premium options are accessible via subscription!

As a reminder, this project is done on my free time and my personal resources. The idea is to provide you, the players and the cheat makers, with a pleasant and friendly meeting point.

It would be a shame if those who bring the community to life through their fabulous work stop there, now, there is so much to do!

Iliak
Well i would like to @patjenova and @ZiT to come back to the scene and provide their great cheats , so i would like to hear what they have to said about it .

doctordoom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

- ads
- donations
- subscription

Iliak

I think the source of the confusion is that @patjenova and @ZiT believe you are making money off their work. While they aren't the only cheat makers a vast portion of the site would be empty if their cheats were removed. On the other hand you offer a service that no one else does, a easy to use interface to find the codes you are looking for. Trying to find a code I want through gbatemp is a chore and sometimes doesn't even work but then I go to your site and there it is. It doesn't sound like you are making money off the codes but rather off the service you provide.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the source of the confusion is that @patjenova and @ZiT believe you are making money off their work. While they aren't the only cheat makers a vast portion of the site would be empty if their cheats were removed. On the other hand you offer a service that no one else does, a easy to use interface to find the codes you are looking for. Trying to find a code I want through gbatemp is a chore and sometimes doesn't even work but then I go to your site and there it is. It doesn't sound like you are making money off the codes but rather off the service you provide.
whats hard about using the search feature, as for codes not working, everything posted here is stolen and posted over there..... against the creators wishes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Freedom* *(terms and conditions apply)