Charging Cradle... Not... Charging.

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by loco365, Apr 22, 2012.

Apr 22, 2012
  1. loco365
    OP

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Yeah. Problem is all in the title. The pins are in perfect shape, it's all plugged in as it should, and at times, I put my 3DS in the dock, even when the light is red, and it simply won't charge (Orange light won't turn on), making me have to move it around a little to get it to charge and turn on the orange light. I've had it run completely dry once because I failed to notice that it wasn't charging, so I couldn't play it for a day or so, and at other times, the charging light blinks like it's doing morse code if it isn't on steady.

Do either of these happen to anyone here? It's really getting annoying.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Didn't happen to me...sounds like some kind of fauly dock maybe? Or maybe even a faulty cable? Have you tried, oh I dunno, plugging the cable into the 3DS instead?

3. loco365
    OP

That's the only way to ensure it works 100%. I've been doing that for the last little while, but it's easier to put a 3DS on a charging dock at night when you don't want to be seen as opposed to finding the cord and finding the plugin on the back of the system.

4. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Hmm...well it could possibly be a fault dock then...all contacts are clean and everything? If so see if you can buy a new dock, you can find them for...$20 or so. Or less if you buy a used one.

5. loco365
    OP

They're clean and whatnot. It could be a bad dock. I might call NoA and see if I can get a replacement then.

6. kirbymaster101

Member kirbymaster101 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Dont use the dock.

7. TheCasketMan

Member TheCasketMan Keyblade Apprentice

United States
    i just plug my 3ds instead of using the cheap craddle

8. TheZoc

Member TheZoc GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Open the dock. I think you will need a triwing screwdriver (you can find one on dealextreme).

Internally, the circuit is pretty simple, it simply connects the charger to the 2 wires that touch 3DS charging contacts. Probably there's a loose/disconnected wire there.

There are no warranty seals, no electronic components, nothing that could be dangerous (except for children that can swallow screws or something). I have opened mine (In hopes to make a PowerPak+ cradle modification or something - but with no success due to screws position), it's probably very easy to fix that problem :)

I hope this helps you :)

1 person likes this.
  9. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    dirty contacts on your 3DS.
    they may not look dirty, but they probably are.

1 person likes this.
  10. elisherer

Member elisherer I ♥ 3DS

Israel
    try put a coin or a piece of paper on the front of the tray to lift the front of the 3ds a bit...I did that with a knock-off I bought...

11. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    On the site they have troubleshooting. Looks like it's common sense, and seems you've done all of that.

It looks like the dock can actually be covered under your warranty.

I would suggest buying a new one... it's a whole $4. If you use the warranty, you'll probably have to ship yours, wait for them to check it out, and wait until they mail it back.

1 person likes this.
  12. freaksloan

Member freaksloan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't use it, don't really understand the point behind it.

13. AceWarhead

Member AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

United States
    It's fro quickly dropping the 3DS on the cradle without having to look for the wire and plugging it in.
    Say, for example, you come home after a LAN battle at 2AM. You surely are tired, and your 3DS is almost dead.
    Now, do you want to wander around searching for the wire when you are half-asleep? OR do you just want to quickly drop it on something to charge and then sleep?

14. skystealer

Member skystealer Muah~

United States
    I've actually had this same problem. I fixed it by just taking the actual adapter out of the wall, putting it in another one for a while, and putting it back in the old outlet it was in. Unusual. I don't know how it happens, but it works.