Hardware Charging Cradle... Not... Charging.

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
Yeah. Problem is all in the title. The pins are in perfect shape, it's all plugged in as it should, and at times, I put my 3DS in the dock, even when the light is red, and it simply won't charge (Orange light won't turn on), making me have to move it around a little to get it to charge and turn on the orange light. I've had it run completely dry once because I failed to notice that it wasn't charging, so I couldn't play it for a day or so, and at other times, the charging light blinks like it's doing morse code if it isn't on steady.

Do either of these happen to anyone here? It's really getting annoying.

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
Didn't happen to me...sounds like some kind of fauly dock maybe? Or maybe even a faulty cable? Have you tried, oh I dunno, plugging the cable into the 3DS instead?
That's the only way to ensure it works 100%. I've been doing that for the last little while, but it's easier to put a 3DS on a charging dock at night when you don't want to be seen as opposed to finding the cord and finding the plugin on the back of the system.

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
Hmm...well it could possibly be a fault dock then...all contacts are clean and everything? If so see if you can buy a new dock, you can find them for...$20 or so. Or less if you buy a used one.
They're clean and whatnot. It could be a bad dock. I might call NoA and see if I can get a replacement then.

TheZoc

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Open the dock. I think you will need a triwing screwdriver (you can find one on dealextreme).

Internally, the circuit is pretty simple, it simply connects the charger to the 2 wires that touch 3DS charging contacts. Probably there's a loose/disconnected wire there.

There are no warranty seals, no electronic components, nothing that could be dangerous (except for children that can swallow screws or something). I have opened mine (In hopes to make a PowerPak+ cradle modification or something - but with no success due to screws position), it's probably very easy to fix that problem :)

I hope this helps you :)

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
On the site they have troubleshooting. Looks like it's common sense, and seems you've done all of that.

It looks like the dock can actually be covered under your warranty.

I would suggest buying a new one... it's a whole $4. If you use the warranty, you'll probably have to ship yours, wait for them to check it out, and wait until they mail it back.

Reactions: 1 person

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't use it, don't really understand the point behind it.
It's fro quickly dropping the 3DS on the cradle without having to look for the wire and plugging it in.
Say, for example, you come home after a LAN battle at 2AM. You surely are tired, and your 3DS is almost dead.
Now, do you want to wander around searching for the wire when you are half-asleep? OR do you just want to quickly drop it on something to charge and then sleep?

skystealer

Muah~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've actually had this same problem. I fixed it by just taking the actual adapter out of the wall, putting it in another one for a while, and putting it back in the old outlet it was in. Unusual. I don't know how it happens, but it works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: it pisses me off