Hardware Chaos Rush's stupid solution to playing DS games in 1:1

Chaos Rush

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So recently I got a 3DS XL. The newest console I got before that was a DS Lite, so it's quite an upgrade.

As we all know, when playing DS games on 3DS, it stretches the image to fill the screen due to the 3DS's larger resolution, and this causes DS games to look rather blurry on the 3DS. Nintendo kindly gave us the option of playing it in 1:1 resolution, at the expense of fugly black borders around. I can't stand the blurriness after awhile, so I came up with my own solution to playing in 1:1, but making it so that you can't physically see the part of the 3DS screen with the black border.

Now I still have my DS Lite, but I just can't enjoy playing it anymore. The screens are tiny, the sound quality is utter shit compared to my 3DS XL, and there's a stupid problem with the screen that it turns white/glitchy-looking when you put it an a certain angle.

But anyways, back to my 3DS XL, I measured the screens and the size of the black borders, then I got two notecards and cut them accordingly, then I drew a DSi on them.

Pics:
2d27vaf.jpg

2qkt4cz.jpg

v415z9.jpg

(these pics are taken in 1:1 mode)

I find this hilarious yet satisfying.

Reactions: 324atk

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever works for you. Honestly, I find your idea rather ingenious, but the white border throws me off a little more than the black. Maybe you could color the index card to match your DS Lite. That way, it feels like you are back on the old system, yet have the upgraded aspects of the 3DS XL!!! Just remember to buy matte paint instead of gloss/semi-gloss.

Chaos Rush

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, I'm kinda hoping some 3rd party company sees this and makes their own screen cover for playing DS games... and by screen cover, I mean like a screen protector, but with a picture of a DSi around the edges.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
To be honest, I'm kinda hoping some 3rd party company sees this and makes their own screen cover for playing DS games... and by screen cover, I mean like a screen protector, but with a picture of a DSi around the edges.

Which you would then peel off and replace every time you switch from ds to 3ds mode? I'm putting that in my top 5 stupid things list :)

Chaos Rush

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ideally I would like to just get a DSi XL, but I don't have the money at the moment.

And also there's a reason why I included the word "stupid" in the title, I even said in the first post that I find it hilarious...

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could always buy a replacement DSi housing shell. Take the part that goes around the top screen, and tape it on instead of the index cards. It's a thought...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To your credit I thought Nintendo put some emulated DS case when in 1:1 ratio on the 3DS before a closer look.

If you really had some time or money to invest in it, you could make it some type of sliding case thing.

D

Deleted_171835

Or you could just buy a DSi XL.

But since you don't have the cash, this ain't a bad idea.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, so you don't have to play DS games 1:1?
No, you can either have them stretched to fit the entire screen (well, most of it, it doesn't quite reach the sides of the top screen because that would throw off the aspect ratio) or in 1:1 (which on a 3DSXL by happy coincidence is practically the same size as the original DS or DSlite screen) by holding start or select when starting the DS game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*