Changing hard drive on rebug cfw slim PS3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Peio, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Peio
    OP

Peio Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2016
    France
    So I want to change the 160GB hd in my console. I bought it with everything needed installed (cfw, multiman, webman, etc).

If I use the backup utility to make a backup to an external and restore that on the new hard drive after installing the cfw .PUP, will that restore all those other programs ? or do I need to reinstall everything myself after installing the cfw.

Thanks

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I think they get restored.
    I'm not sure as I just backupped the games I had on the HDD and reinstalled Multiman etc.

3. Peio
    OP

Peio Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2016
    France
    and another question, if I somehow mess up the new hard drive (you never know :P), can I just pop the old one back in and get everything back as it was ?

4. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    If you'd FTP over all your games and savegames to another HDD (keeping everything on the old one) then yep, nothing gets moved/deleted when you're FTPing.

5. Peio
    OP

Peio Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2016
    France
    Well I was thinking of using the ps3 backup utility, not ftping everything. Which is better ?

6. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I'd personally say FTP over your games and savegames.
    It takes longer but hey, atleast you can keep your old HDD as a backup incase things go wrong.

7. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    What I did to transfer my content from original HDD to another HDD was to put the original HDD in the PS3, then plug the another HDD into PS3 via USB enclosure, then use the HDD Transfer Utility in the Debug settings to transfer original HDD to another HDD. After that was done, I swapped another HDD to original HDD.