Hacking Changed region, games won't load from cartridge

tortugarosado

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed homebrew and changed the region from Japan to US for a customer using the latest guides, I was including in her order the Japanese version of Animal Crossing HHD, but it won't load when I try launching the game. Can games only be played when installed as .cias once the region is changed? Can cartridges from the newly installed region run? here are the errors I get on both the console I'm selling as well as testing it on my personal one which underwent the same region change. I used PicHaxx to hack my console (New 3DS XL - yellow), and Banner Bomb for the console I'm selling (Old 3DS XL - white).

E9K_9J5WQAUOFJM.jpg E9K_9J5X0AcDHwS.jpg

Last edited by tortugarosado,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try Luma Locale Switcher homebrew app and set it up to JP to run the JP game, and enable "game patching" on Luma when you press"select" on boot.
Also, import seed for your game with FBI (with WIFI on) if the game had any.

Last edited by CoolMe,
Reactions: tortugarosado

tortugarosado

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try Luma Locale Switcher homebrew app and set it up to JP to run the JP game, and enable "game patching" on Luma when you press"select" on boot.
Also, import seed for your game with FBI (with WIFI on) if the game had any.

Yeah, I already had game patching enabled, i didn't think to use Luma Locale switcher for a cartridge - and it worked. thank you!

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I already had game patching enabled, i didn't think to use Luma Locale switcher for a cartridge - and it worked. thank you!
Not sure if it should be enabled every time you want to play the game, when you boot the 3DS.

tortugarosado

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if it should be enabled every time you want to play the game, when you boot the 3DS.
i have it enabled in case my customer wants to install mods for her games, I also do it on my personal console for the same reason. it doesn't seem to do any harm having it on by default. i also figured for the locale switcher to work I needed game patches enabled - is that not the case?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have it enabled in case my customer wants to install mods for her games, I also do it on my personal console for the same reason. it doesn't seem to do any harm having it on by default. i also figured for the locale switcher to work I needed game patches enabled - is that not the case?
Yes, but what i meant was, if you have to open the "Luma Locale Switcher" and set it up after every boot of the 3ds, if you wanted to play the region changed game. I remember it being this way, but i am not sure.

tortugarosado

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but what i meant was, if you have to open the "Luma Locale Switcher" and set it up after every boot of the 3ds, if you wanted to play the region changed game. I remember it being this way, but i am not sure.
so the game was Japanese region, and in Luma Locale it was set to system default - which had been changed from Japan to US. So the game was seen as US region instead of Japan which caused the error. So far for my personal console, i only had to set the region for specific games once, not for each time i ran the games. my main console has maybe 60GB of US region games installed, and after the region change ran fine without needing Luma Locale to correct them

Last edited by tortugarosado,

Pumpkinscrub

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bring up an old topic. I’m having a similar issue but the game cartridge does not give any error. 3dist and the Rosalina menu show the game inserted but it will not show on home menu.
This is for a region swapped ll from jp to us using another jp device so I can have eshop access.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bring up an old topic. I’m having a similar issue but the game cartridge does not give any error. 3dist and the Rosalina menu show the game inserted but it will not show on home menu.
Have you tried doing this? 👇
Try Luma Locale Switcher homebrew app and set it up to JP to run the JP game, and enable "game patching" on Luma3DS when you press "select" on boot.

Pumpkinscrub

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried looking for the game cart through luma locale but it only shows games installed on the sd card. Is there a way I can locate it? And I am trying to play us region games.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried looking for the game cart through luma locale but it only shows games installed on the sd card. Is there a way I can locate it? And I am trying to play us region games.
Just to get things clear, you have a region changed 3ds from Jp to US, and you wish to play a Jp or a US cartridge? Was the cart functional before the region change?

Pumpkinscrub

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to get things clear, you have a region changed 3ds from Jp to US, and you wish to play a Jp or a US cartridge? Was the cart functional before the region change?
That is correct. I want to play US carts. It was functional prior to region swap. I can verify the carts work on another 3ds.

Pumpkinscrub

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both systems had cfw and initially both JP.
They both ran carts prior to region swap with the cfw. I did a system transfer from my one to another, region swapped the source 3ds to US, and got it working with US eshop (this is the one not reading carts)

The other JP model (now region swapped to us without eshop access) I used for the transfer can read games and I often play on it.

Both models are new 3ds with one being LL and the other non LL.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They both ran carts prior to region swap with the cfw.
So you're having this problem with both systems now? What about other carts, both in-region and out-of-region, do they work or not?
I did a system transfer from my one to another, region swapped the source 3ds to US, and got it working with US eshop (this is the one not reading carts)
How's that possible? You can't access the eShop once you do a region change.
I would try dumping the cartridge with GodMode9, and verify the hash with the known verified dump of the same release.

Pumpkinscrub

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can get eshop access. There is a great tutorial on YouTube. Maybe this will explain my situation better.
**edit: you need two new 3ds of the same origin to do this. Ie) 2 jp, 2 us, 2 or the same origin region.

Before:
Unit 1) New 3ds LL JP region.
Home brewed and can read and play games of us region

Unit 2) new 3ds JP region
Home brewed and can read and play games of us region

———-
I did a system transfer from Unit 1 to unit 2 removing any traces of nnid and clearing unit 1 from the Nintendo servers.

Unit 1 was region swapped with 11.15 Ctr transfer to US. Created a new nnid. Have access to US eshop and purchased games.

Unit 2 was region swapped but does not have access to eshop due to still having info locked to Nintendo servers.

————
After:
Unit 1) works perfect besides reading games. Can buy and play games from eshop. Can also play cia files ripped from my own carts. (Games ripped from another 3ds and transferred to unit 1’s sd card)

Unit 2) Now us without eshop can play physical games.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did a system transfer from Unit 1 to unit 2 removing any traces of nnid and clearing unit 1 from the Nintendo servers.
Unit 1 was region swapped with 11.15 Ctr transfer to US. Created a new nnid. Have access to US eshop and purchased games.
So you're saying that after the ctrtransfer, the system will act as if it's a system from that region, creates a US NNID and with it it can access the eShop as normal? Never heard of such a thing..
After:
Unit 1) works perfect besides reading games.
Why is that? So with this system you can't play any cartridge games regardless of their region?
If ^^ this is true, how come you're asking why your cart is not working?

Pumpkinscrub

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you're saying that after the ctrtransfer, the system will act as if it's a system from that region, creates a US NNID and with it it can access the eShop as normal? Never heard of such a thing..
Not specifically the ctr transfer. The system transfer to the target 3ds removes the motherboard sn from the Nintendo servers meaning that motherboard is no longer associated with an nnid. This is why ONLY doing a ctr transfer breaks eshop.

After the transfer you can ctr transfer to any region and make nnid for that region giving you eshop access. I got it to work for US and can’t speak for other regions but it should be the same.

If ^^ this is true, how come you're asking why your cart is not working?
This is what I am trying to fix and the point of this post. I’m trying to determine if it’s a hardware or software issue. Just like how region swapping can break ds games from being used though there is a fix for this.

Again my issue is that homebrew software can see and identify the type of game inserted but it is not playable or showing on the Home Screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o