Chances of Nintendo releasing a new FW?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Dungeonseeker, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Dungeonseeker
    OP

Dungeonseeker GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2016
    People are saying Wii U is EOL now with NX months away, it's been months since 5.5 released and even then they still didn't patch the exploits that have been present since 5.3 so I'm just wondering, what do you think the chances of us getting an official FW update actually are?

Do you think they're just waiting for IOSU to drop a new version or do you think they've abandoned the Wii U now?

2. M tha MaN

M tha MaN GBAtemp Regular

Apr 19, 2009
    Germany
    Why should they patch them?

While Nintendo is focusing on NX, they can sell more WiiU's because they're "hackable"...

Perhaps when/if IOSU comes out but until then...

3. Dungeonseeker
    OP

Mar 28, 2016
    That was my chain of thought tbh. A moddable console is a sellable console and considering Nintendo probably have back stock to shift I'm thinking they're just going to ignore Wii U modding and leave us to it.

4. NexoCube

NexoCube stop using piracy :(

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    I think they still didn't find how to patch the GX2 exploit, because as some one told me (i have forgotten who it was, maybe rean or something) the exploit will be very hard to patch. I made some research in the rpl's and i found that if they patch it wrong (idk in which way they gonna do that, i'm not haxmaster) some games may not work so yeah, GX2 Exploit may never been patched :P

(And psssst, some games exploits are coming for Wii U)

5. Voxel

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    And where did you hear this?

6. NexoCube

NexoCube stop using piracy :(

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    Some IRC guy told me, and some devs confirmed it on GBATemp or in some forum i don't remember :P Maybe could you told me if its true @NWPlayer123 :creep:

Phantom64 and Voxel like this.
  7. Phantom64

Phantom64 Banned

Banned
    Aug 18, 2015
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    this is really interesting

NexoCube likes this.
  8. supergamer368

supergamer368 high on froot loops all the time

May 22, 2016
    United States
    In a wastebasket reading my neighbor's mail
    I don't see a FW update coming soon, but that's good there's a freehax for Wii U, while I gotta go buy some game nobody cares about to hack 3DS while the prices skyrocket....

9. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    I am willing to bet any amount of money that Nintendo will bring out a new firmware a week or so before Breath of the wild is on sale.

10. Dungeonseeker
    OP

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah, and they'll make BotW require the new version to launch.

11. trunske

trunske GBAtemp Regular

Feb 28, 2016
    Wii Last update it was on 2010 and Wii died at 2012 with the 3 famous RPGs
    The Last Story
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    Pandora Towers
    and Project Zero 2.
    Not even an Update for Zelda Skyward Sword Released or Metroid Other M

Maybe at Wii U will Happen the same or had happened the same because we are only waiting for Zelda (I do not mention that Zelda will be on NX also) and just few people is waiting for Mario Slash Colour

12. replicashooter

replicashooter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 16, 2006
    It would be very interesting if Nintendo themselves were to leak an exploit (albeit secretly) in order to clear their backlog of Wii U consoles as coming off the back of the Wii you know they were expecting to shift a lot more than they did.

A great gift for those of us that support it and want to see what it can do in a modders hands as, as I've said before, it would be the ultimate home console as its powerful and equipped enough to emulate everything you could ever want to play in one sleek box with a myriad of control options that modders could open up to possibly even more.

So much potential.

13. SonicCloud

SonicCloud <3.

Mar 29, 2016
    Mexico
    Somewhere
    Probably the final update will happen when TLOZ:BOW and Splash color releases...

>tfw nintendo is already getting out another console and yet still iosu isn't there </3<

14. CrystalForce

CrystalForce I'm gonna "fix" that spaghetti.

Feb 10, 2015
    United States
    It would never happen, unfortunately, as an exploit would allow piracy, which Nintendo would never want.

CJB100 likes this.
  15. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    Let's not forget how Nintendo released a DSi firmware update literal years after the 3DS's release just to patch out some flashcards. They don't really stop caring, especially when it comes to piracy.

Rinnux and CJB100 like this.
  16. jammybudga777

jammybudga777 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 23, 2013
    Soon as the new zelda comes out I guess that would be the final good wii u title worth sending with an update

17. CJB100

CJB100 Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair

May 8, 2016
    United States
    USA
    It amazes me how many people think Nintendo sees hacking as a good thing. What planet are you from lol? The only video game company to actually embrace that was SEGA, and if the Saturn is any indication, they gave up on that after the Genesis and literally only did it then to be cool compared to Nintendo.

18. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Nintendo never sees piracy or hacking of their consoles as a "good thing". But they do sometimes stop giving a fuck, because those Chinese or Indian dev teams don't come cheap! They'll probably release a patch around the time that BOTW comes out.

Hey, maybe the IOSU devs do secretly have a hack, but they're just waiting for BOTW to come out, so their hack doesn't get patched! /s

19. Fabax01

Fabax01 Advanced Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Italy
    I bet my soul, Nintendo will release an update the day before BOTW. Also, nintendo hates piracy.