Cases of 3DS hardmods corrupting sysnand leading to bricks

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Spore2, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Spore2
    OP

Spore2 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2016
    I have hard modded O3DS and O3DS LL. I take great care in using the hard mods and only use them when I have to which is why I my two units are still working. I have hard modded a lot of units and have yet to experience a brick. However, I've read of some experiences on the posts of hard mods leading to bricks. I'm starting this thread to document all of these cases and possibly how these bricks can be reversed or avoided.

I suggest this format:

Unit type and system version(ex. O3ds 9.2u)
    Description of the hard mod(ex.connected clk,dat0,cmd,gnd direct to SD adaptor)
    Card reader used
    Operating system and software for backup(ex. Win 7 64 bit, windiskimager)
    Error encountered and suspected cause of error

2. James310

James310 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere in California
    I never heard of this issue but isn't it the nand.bin being a bad backup causing the system to brick and not the Hardmod?

3. Spore2
    OP

Spore2 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2016
    Here's one case that I've read
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/hardmod-may-have-brick-my-3ds-help-if-you-know-how.413512/#post-6051401

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

This is the second case that I've read so far.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-bsod.413212/#post-6050770

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I believe it is possible. I've experienced usb flash drives suddenly being corrupted and sometimes rendered useless. The nand chip being accessed in a hard mod could be just as vulnerable to error. That's is why I'm curious to find out how many cases are there and what safety precautions can be made to avoid corrupting the nand chip.

4. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    Okay so both cases you have linked are because of people incapable to correctly hard modding their consoles

So we can confirm that correctly hardmodding the 3DS doesnt cause brick

We can confirm incorrectly soldering consoles motherboard can lead to a brick
    Aka user error not hardmod causing

5. Spore2
    OP

Spore2 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2016
    I'll give this thread a few days before I can conclude that corrupt nands are only from human error.