Hardware 3ds bsod?

Chips98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
downgraded my 3ds xl from 10.3 to 9.2, everything went smooth got everything i wanted but then i tried to dump my nand. conected my sd adapter as i learned got my nand back up and thought i would attach a easy access port to my 3ds. i used a mini usb female port for this. now this is where i have my issues, my buddy of mine decided to plug in a mini usb cabled to the 3ds and connect it to the pc via usb and not sd with not so good results. when i caught wind of what he did i was afraid he fried my nand. i get a blue screen bootrom error similar to that of the nand dumping. booting without anything soldered to the system gives my the 00000200 error, connecting it to pc via sd card gives me the 00000400 error. i followed a tut for unbricking the gateway bricks (im assuming the error is 00000008) via raspberry pi with no luck. i get info that the nand is unlocked. giving the 3ds any commands results in the "giving up" error with no change in status on the 3ds. i checked and triple checked my contact points and made sure that use indeed they are connected correctly and solid. so my question is did my friend fry my 3ds? is there any hope in recovering it? any help or information would be greatly appreciated as i cant find anything pertaining to my exact situation.

also as a side note i apologize if this is the wrong section for this issue.

Chips98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's fried. Your friend just sent 5v to a 3.3v nand chip by plugging it to the USB. The hardmod guides suggested not to use usb ports for permanent hardmods predicting this might happen.
thanks. i was afraid that was the issue but oh well i have returned my system and have now got a new one.

tigerfrost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No, the voltage has not fried your NAND.

The 3ds has 3 fuses for power, these will blow before too much voltage kills any chips ( your 3ds will not turn on if they are blown)
You're problem is software related not the fact a different charger has been plugged into your system.

Re-flash the system from scratch good luck !

Chips98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The 3ds has 3 fuses for power, these will blow before too much voltage kills any chips ( your 3ds will not turn on if they are blown)
You're problem is software related not the fact a different charger has been plugged into your system.

well that's the reason why i came here asking for help. i don't know how i can start from scratch like this. my pc wouldn't recognize the 3ds anymore. it would lock up my pc anytime i connected via the sd hard mod. i tried the raspberry pi thing and i couldn't get the program to do anything to my 3ds other than get info. locking deleting and flashing with it would all result in the same "giving up" error :S

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Actually, yes this has most likely fried his NAND, the pads do not have fusing on them since they go directly to the BGA pads which the NAND attaches to with solder. So basically he sent 5v down 3v3 lines connected directly to the NAND, no fusing... What you're suggesting is that a different power adapter was put into the power plug, since the 3ds charges off of 5v in the first place it wouldn't hurt if it properly made contact. The only case in which you're right, is if the contacts were shorted out, and even then it isn't related to the OPs problem.

tl;dr the OPs console is done for, sorry OP :(

Last edited by dark_samus3,

Chips98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, yes this has most likely fried his NAND, the pads do not have fusing on them since they go directly to the BGA pads which the NAND attaches to with solder. So basically he sent 5v down 3v3 lines connected directly to the NAND, no fusing... What you're suggesting is that a different power adapter was put into the power plug, since the 3ds charges off of 5v in the first place it wouldn't hurt if it properly made contact. The only case in which you're right, is if the contacts were shorted out, and even then it isn't related to the OPs problem.

Yea i was afraid it fried but I learned something new from doing so, and that's just part of the fun in modding :) anyways I bought a new 3ds and swapped mother boards then returned it to get my money back lol so I now have a working 3ds in my possession. Thanks for all your replys :D really appreciate it :)

tigerfrost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There are the problems when you mess about with the NAND.

The only thing i can suggest is to speak with some people on the IRC chan.

I see..yes i agree if the connection is directly soldered ( confusing OP post ).
I find it hard to understand why someone would solder wires and jolt 5v power, i have heard of "jumping in the deep end" but this is ridiculous.

This thread needs to be closed -

Spore2

Trophies
XP
Country
There are the problems when you mess about with the NAND.

The only thing i can suggest is to speak with some people on the IRC chan.

I see..yes i agree if the connection is directly soldered ( confusing OP post ).
I find it hard to understand why someone would solder wires and jolt 5v power, i have heard of "jumping in the deep end" but this is ridiculous.

This thread needs to be closed -

I think Chips98 did the hardmod properly but it was his friend that plugged it directly to a usb port. This is why using usb ports for hardmods are not adviced.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interestingly, if you do the hardmod a certain way (using the usb port) you'll never have this problem... Why? Well USB's logic level is 3.3v so the d+ and d- are at 3.3v which is fine for this... The other (usually unused) connection is kinda a sense pin... This one has a small risk of frying your NAND if you use a certain type of cable on it, but they aren't the standard and are generally rare... Otherwise this is usually just connected via a resistor to ground... So basically, if the OP hadn't used the 5v VCC pin he probably wouldn't have had any problems... Just a heads up for future users who decide to use a USB port despite the warnings

Reactions: Chips98

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT