3ds bootrom 8046 error no magnet trick - need help

kondou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys,

I tried searching the forums for this but couldn't really find an answer. I've done ntrboot before unbricking another 3ds... I bought this 2nd hand 3ds which showed the blue screen of death. The error is 00F800FE FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF 00000080 00800000 NAND error when DAT1 was used as DAT0. So I thought I could fix it using the same method... But my problem is that I've used several magnets and the 3ds won't go to sleep. It's perpetually in blue screen. I even tried to move the motherboard to a different 3ds thinking maybe the sleep function might work but it didn't with the magnet. I'm stumped... So need help. Do you guys know what to do? I would like to make this go to sleep so I can run the ntrboot... but if that's not an option, are there any other solutions short of just chucking the motherboard and getting a new one? I like the idea of trying to actually revive as much of the console as I can... but if it's impossible (and I can't do a hard mod - i don't have tools and am not familiar with flashing hard mod)... Thanks in advance guys.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
DAT1 was used as DAT0
That sounds like hardware damage to me. Visually inspect the motherboard for previous traces of repair and/or hardmod attempts.
So I thought I could fix it using the same method... But my problem is that I've used several magnets and the 3ds won't go to sleep. It's perpetually in blue screen.
It doesn't work like this. You are supposed to place the magnet on correct spot while the console is off and turn it one with the ntrboot cart and holding the combination. Placing the magnet while the 8046 error is already shown will not trigger sleep mode. The error screen ignores the magnetic switch.
Old series 3DS will not turn on with the magnet correctly placed by just pressing power. A great way to ensure the magnet is in the correct spot. It will, however, turn on with magnet holding ntrboot combination.

Try booting into GodMode9 to see if the NAND can be accessed at all.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let’s assume the NAND is fried. Dead. Not salvageable. Can this be fixed outside of a new motherboard? Can we setup emuNAND and somehow boot from that instead?

Now let’s assume that it’s not dead, works, but is very old (like, an original 3DS that’s been played very heavily over its lifetime) and the user is worried about the lifetime remaining on said old NAND chip. Should we setup an emuNAND now?

My original o3DS is not NAND broken, but it is something I worry about considering its age and how much it’s gotten used over its lifetime. Should I be worried enough to setup emuNAND as a precaution?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Let’s assume the NAND is fried. Dead. Not salvageable. Can this be fixed outside of a new motherboard? Can we setup emuNAND and somehow boot from that instead?

Now let’s assume that it’s not dead, works, but is very old (like, an original 3DS that’s been played very heavily over its lifetime) and the user is worried about the lifetime remaining on said old NAND chip. Should we setup an emuNAND now?

My original o3DS is not NAND broken, but it is something I worry about considering its age and how much it’s gotten used over its lifetime. Should I be worried enough to setup emuNAND as a precaution?
If you have a NAND dump of the system before it went crappy, I'd use that as your EmuNAND and get that working. Just my two cents.

Reactions: CoolMe

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a NAND dump of the system before it went crappy, I'd use that as your EmuNAND and get that working. Just my two cents.
So it is something I should have made just in case? I have a NAND backup from before B9S was installed back when A9LH was the thing, I have a NAND backup from after A9LH, I have a backup of before B9S and one after B9S was installed. NAND dumps aren't the issue. The guide has never encouraged doing this, so I've never done it.

Tutorials I find are from 2015-2017 and I don't know if they're still relevant.

Edit: I think this one will do it, I just don't do the region change part: https://gbatemp.net/threads/making-an-emunand-and-using-it-with-a-region-changed-nand.490242/

Last edited by rcpd,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Let’s assume the NAND is fried. Dead. Not salvageable. Can this be fixed outside of a new motherboard?
How about new NAND chip? Requires extraordinary skill and expensive equipment. Should be considered in the future for the sake of preservation. Rather than "Not worthwhile, get another one!"
Can we setup emuNAND and somehow boot from that instead?
Theoretically it should be possible to do it, requiring ntrboot each time turning on the console. However, I failed putting this into practice. No idea why and where the problem is. I wasn't able to ntrboot into EmuNAND without the FIRM0 containing B9S. The rest of SysNAND may contain arbitrary trash and ntrboot into EmuNAND will succeed.
I could and should repeat this test some point.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about new NAND chip? Requires extraordinary skill and expensive equipment. Should be considered in the future for the sake of preservation. Rather than "Not worthwhile, get another one!"

Theoretically it should be possible to do it, requiring ntrboot each time turning on the console. However, I failed putting this into practice. No idea why and where the problem is. I wasn't able to ntrboot into EmuNAND without the FIRM0 containing B9S. The rest of SysNAND may contain arbitrary trash and ntrboot into EmuNAND will succeed.
I could and should repeat this test some point.
So what you're saying is that for preservation, I should setup an emuNAND on a working system now and boot from that instead of sysNAND to ensure a minimal amount of write cycles occur. I suppose I'm being overly cautious because even powering the NAND will eventually cause it to fail anyway. And if we cannot boot emuNAND without a working NAND, the console is dead anyway.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So what you're saying is that for preservation, I should setup an emuNAND on a working system now and boot from that instead of sysNAND to ensure a minimal amount of write cycles occur. I suppose I'm being overly cautious because even powering the NAND will eventually cause it to fail anyway. And if we cannot boot emuNAND without a working NAND, the console is dead anyway.
I've never heard of excess write cycles on the 3DS platform (opposed to the ongoing discussion for the Wii U).
All our stuff will fail eventually. preservation means finding ways to repair damage that occurs over time – no matter what damage. Still we often see the advise to just throw things away and get another one.
In my opinion a 3DS doesn't profit from EmuNAND (and EmuNAND adds complexity and is prone to errors as SDs are more often than not garbage). Outside testing I do not use it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read somewhere, probably here, that the 3ds can write over 100,000 times while the wiiu can only do a few thousand before it starts failing. I think it's a difference between an slc nand and an mlc nand, which the wiiu has both, but the main one that will be seeing writes is the mlc.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never heard of excess write cycles on the 3DS platform (opposed to the ongoing discussion for the Wii U).
All our stuff will fail eventually. preservation means finding ways to repair damage that occurs over time – no matter what damage. Still we often see the advise to just throw things away and get another one.
In my opinion a 3DS doesn't profit from EmuNAND (and EmuNAND adds complexity and is prone to errors as SDs are more often than not garbage). Outside testing I do not use it.
Not so much "excess" write cycles as much as everything has a write cycle limit and once that limit is reached, odd things can start happening. I figure these original 3DS consoles are getting pretty near that limit, assuming they've been used as lovingly as mine has been.

I suppose I'll research getting an upgraded model like a n2DS XL.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could theoretically make an emunand (or rednand) from your nand backup on pc, and yes, it should theoretically work as it shouldn't depend on the failing (or dead) nand doing anything..

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could theoretically make an emunand (or rednand) from your nand backup on pc, and yes, it should theoretically work as it shouldn't depend on the failing (or dead) nand doing anything..
Would you know how? I've got several NAND backups and I wouldn't mind doing this to preserve the 3DS in case of NAND failure. I've got no reason to suspect the NAND is failing but I like peace of mind knowing that it can be done and that I won't just have to throw the thing away when or if it does happen. I've got a lot of history with this thing. Its got sentimental value and quite a bit of it.

kondou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds like hardware damage to me. Visually inspect the motherboard for previous traces of repair and/or hardmod attempts.

It doesn't work like this. You are supposed to place the magnet on correct spot while the console is off and turn it one with the ntrboot cart and holding the combination. Placing the magnet while the 8046 error is already shown will not trigger sleep mode. The error screen ignores the magnetic switch.
Old series 3DS will not turn on with the magnet correctly placed by just pressing power. A great way to ensure the magnet is in the correct spot. It will, however, turn on with magnet holding ntrboot combination.

Thanks for all this. I guess I got lucky in unbricking my other console since it's obvious I didn't quite know fundamentally how it worked - i just followed step 1 and step 2 etc... This one is a new 3ds so I'm surprised that the NAND has failed. The console is clean and has no signs of being tampered with to be honest. But it looks like NAND is dead since I did boot into GodMode9 and all it has is the SDCARD, SYSNAND VIRTUAL, RAMDRIVE, GAMECART, MEMORY VIRTUAL, VRAM VIRTUAL... I guess I'm SOL at this point? Is there any other alternatives here? I did see all the discussions about EMUNAND on this thread and it is fascinating... But I'm a noob and just trying my hand at this.

Oh I should add that i did try to do a CTRNAND transfer anyway, but no surprise it said permissions denied... i'm guessing since there was no NAND to transfer to...

Also did try Safeb9installer and it failed in crypto status- FIRM partition fail. Guess it will be part replacing for me then...

Last edited by kondou,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Que dices?