Capcom for sale

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think a buyout by Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft would be bad.

Sony would take away some of the support that nintendo so desperately needs from some of capcoms games

microsoft has no handheld and their lack of focus on the Japanese game market would mean then end of numerous franchises

And nintendo could potentially end some franchises that didn't match their target demographic or change them. If one of the three had to buy them I'd personally prefer Sony or Nintendo, but I think a strong third party company would be the best option since then the titles could stay matched with the platforms they currently are available on.

I am not sure I would be any kind of worked up about the Sony one. Nintendo seems to be the games equivalent of film remakes right now -- sometimes good but generally it does not mean your earlier memories are now somehow invalid.

Microsoft has no handheld? Did I miss the part where they had a slightly struggling tablet and phone OS? Also the part where they published games on Nintendo's handhelds for quite some time before then. Likewise would it mean the end of things in the Japanese market if buying such a company was the way into the Japanese market?

I already went on Nintendo and the above probably says just as much again.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not sure I would be any kind of worked up about the Sony one. Nintendo seems to be the games equivalent of film remakes right now -- sometimes good but generally it does not mean your earlier memories are now somehow invalid.

Microsoft has no handheld? Did I miss the part where they had a slightly struggling tablet and phone OS? Also the part where they published games on Nintendo's handhelds for quite some time before then. Likewise would it mean the end of things in the Japanese market if buying such a company was the way into the Japanese market?

I already went on Nintendo and the above probably says just as much again.
Playing games on a tablet/phone is far less comfortable and efficient than using an actual handheld with physical buttons. While I suppose you could argue for the odd accessories that are available, few are very good and the fact remains that handhelds are less expensive and will remain compatible with all of the software. Personally I don't see them putting software on nintendo's handhelds, or at least focusing most of the content to the Xbox One. As for the Japanese market, Microsoft has no real experience with them, so its safe to assume that a big company like capcom probably wouldn't be the best start in the case they fail, like they have in the past.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Playing games on a tablet/phone is far less comfortable and efficient than using an actual handheld with physical buttons. While I suppose you could argue for the odd accessories that are available, few are very good and the fact remains that handhelds are less expensive and will remain compatible with all of the software. Personally I don't see them putting software on nintendo's handhelds, or at least focusing most of the content to the Xbox One. As for the Japanese market, Microsoft has no real experience with them, so its safe to assume that a big company like capcom probably wouldn't be the best start in the case they fail, like they have in the past.

Less comfortable and less efficient or just that (traditional?) games have not been adapted to the control method yet? Such a statement seems just short of "dem casuals" or "mobile games are not real games". That said yeah MS doing things on Nintendo handhelds will probably not happen so much any more now they have their own platform they want content for.

As for real experience they have done a few things starting in the xbox era and going from there, moreover though MS' (and basically every other company ever's) method of choice when encountering something they do not know but feel the need to get into is "buy someone in that does understand it". Now whether they feel the need to (the fertile places of not Japan seem to be doing OK for them, to say nothing of Japan's relevance slowly fading or at least becoming harder to define) and whether Capcom would be a good candidate (and I could see failing but not so debt encumbered company without many real assets but lots of IP assets as a reasonably easy sell) can still stand to be debated but I am not sure about the rest.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Less comfortable and less efficient or just that (traditional?) games have not been adapted to the control method yet? Such a statement seems just short of "dem casuals" or "mobile games are not real games". That said yeah MS doing things on Nintendo handhelds will probably not happen so much any more now they have their own platform they want content for.

As for real experience they have done a few things starting in the xbox era and going from there, moreover though MS' (and basically every other company ever's) method of choice when encountering something they do not know but feel the need to get into is "buy someone in that does understand it". Now whether they feel the need to (the fertile places of not Japan seem to be doing OK for them, to say nothing of Japan's relevance slowly fading or at least becoming harder to define) and whether Capcom would be a good candidate (and I could see failing but not so debt encumbered company without many real assets but lots of IP assets as a reasonably easy sell) can still stand to be debated but I am not sure about the rest.
Not all game can be adapted to that platform. I don't think we will ever see a monster hunter game running solely on touch controls, and that arguably capcoms biggest ip at the moment. It also happens to be very successful on handhelds. In regards to them not going for the japanese market, while it may not be a business loss, its certainly a loss for anyone (myself included) who happen to like those games. Many franchises would certainly be shut down that didn't cater to other audiences and it would be a real loss.

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lot to read here o-o;

After skimming the thread I'd say nintendo wouldn't be a bad fit. The concern for censor ship and how they might handle mature properties came up a large number of times. Nintendo however when they get a new company is pretty good about just letting them do what they want. It is when a company starts to not bring about hits that nintendo looks over and considers taking control or outright shutting them down. This is at the very least what all past examples point to, where acquired companies more act like they would under a publisher deal.

That said should nintendo get them? Probably not it would deal a great hit to capcom as a whole, and we probably wouldn't see what we as fans want for a very long time. Much like Konami's hudson soft buy out, Nintendo at first probably would have no idea how to utilize the majority of their properties. An most likely end up resorting to their older gameplay styles after not figuring out what to do with them. At first this would seem awesome, but would leave the franchises in sever decay till left alone.

So who should, would, could buy capcom? I'd personally prefer square-enix. They have handled eidos and crave interactive very well, and have shown they know when to back off when it comes to development. Them or sony would be lovely because sony is delightful at funding devs even when things don't turn out amazing. They are always willing to give a series at least one more go.

An on nintendo and censorship, for monster hunter. Portable 3rd on PSP would not allow you to kill kelbiis, you could only stun them. The bravely default thing was the developer not nintendo's doing. Plus they published the wonderful 101, and developed kid icarus uprising. Two games that get pretty dark, and show a lot of it on screen. To the extent of the player even causing some of the death in the games.

lufere7

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ugh I hope no console maker buy them, it would mean even less Capcom games for PC. The trend should be moving towards less exclusives not more dammit. If Nintendo wants they should just buy Megaman and Monster Hunter, those franchises are almost always exclusives anyways.
I wonder what would happen if Valve bought them, we'd finally get all Capcom games on Steam (MvC3, Dragon's Dogma, etc.) and they did release most of their games on consoles, it probably isn't a good idea though since they could keep them as exclusives for their Steam machines and Valve have a slowish release schedule. They would also have to nuke Dead Rising and Marvel vs Capcom, with them having a three and all.

Blindfoldedchaos

Space Captain
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Absolutely - Nintendo is still crazy about censorship. Notice how in MH3U you can't kill Kelbi, only "stun" them - stars appear over their heads and instead of disappearing like the rest of monster corpses, they get up and run away. Why? Nintendo platform. It's okay to kill lizards, but goats are off-limits, apparently.

To be fair in MH3 they made it so knocking them out gave more than killing them, and it was changed to stun in 3G to suit the lore of cutting the horn while its alive, and if they were really censoring, then Kirin would be a K.O as well

Ugh I hope no console maker buy them, it would mean even less Capcom games for PC. The trend should be moving towards less exclusives not more dammit. If Nintendo wants they should just buy Megaman and Monster Hunter, those franchises are almost always exclusives anyways.
I wonder what would happen if Valve bought them, we'd finally get all Capcom games on Steam (MvC3, Dragon's Dogma, etc.) and they did release most of their games on consoles, it probably isn't a good idea though since they could keep them as exclusives for their Steam machines and Valve have a slowish release schedule. They would also have to nuke Dead Rising and Marvel vs Capcom, with them having a three and all.

Capcom can't legally make MvC3 anymore anyway

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Foxi4 said:
I would hate it if Nintendo took over Capcom - the company has many mature...
Absolutely - Nintendo is still crazy about censorship.

Sure Nintendo is so kiddy that they don't allow bloody violent games.. right? Oh wait.

Edit: Just because it's a mature game doesn't mean it's actually good (Resident Evil 5, 6).

p3rand0r

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
portfolio.al
XP
Country
Albania
well , for my point of view it would benefit nintendo if they buy capcom
Nintendo has some great games, but we have to admit that nintendo ...well ....they lacks some M rated games , and capcom has some great one!
also i think that the next nintendo console would be a powerfull one to become appealing to some graphic/power hungry gamers , and all they need is M rated games and some mature IP..

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
The problem isn't who will buy it. The problem is who can buy it.
Capcom is a famous game company (or at least used to be) so the price won't be cheap. Sony still have a big debt so buying Capcom is almost impossible. Microsoft doesn't seem to interest about console gaming anymore. Sega just buying Atlus recently so it will take a while for them to think about buying another one.
So in the end it will be Nintendo who buy Capcom or no one will buy Capcom.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I would love Nintendo to buy out Capcom just to watch the pure nerd rage similar to Bayonetta 2 again

Those fucking fanboys asking for Bayo 2 on PS/Xbox.. who was the one that funded Bayonetta 2 to be developed? Nintendo.

I wouldn't complain if a game I wanted was released on a different platform, I'd just buy it at some point later on. Either they don't have anything else to do other than bitching on the internet or they prefer it over playing, you know... their PS/Xbox consoles.

It's 2014 so they just need to shut the fuck up already, it's getting really tiresome and around September the game's coming out so they'll either buy it or ditch it.

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I just heard that some Japan laws restrict some American companies from buying Japanese companies, so if Microsoft can buy Capcom, I just don't see it? That is like putting Acid on Smooth butter. Now if Nintendo buys Capcom, the only problem with that will be the Marketing the titles. Sony on the other hand will cater to their fans, but it will pay a big price in the end.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Those fucking fanboys asking for Bayo 2 on PS/Xbox.. who was the one that funded Bayonetta 2 to be developed? Nintendo.
Just like Mass Effect 1 never went multiplatform when Microsoft funded the development? :)

I personally don't see the high interest in Bayonetta 2, but the gameplay isn't my personal favorite anyways.

As for the topic, there are a ton of other companies that could easily buy Capcom without any major problem. An easy example would be GungHo/Softbank.

Also a good point to consider in the discussions: if Nintendo needs third party developers, wouldn't it be better to get the devs onboard instead of creating an even larger amount of exclusive games that eat the possible third party revenue even further? The Wii had a large amount of games released for the platform, but a challenge was trying to compete with the amount of first party games on the platform :(

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I wouldn't complain if a game I wanted was released on a different platform, I'd just buy it at some point later on. Either they don't have anything else to do other than bitching on the internet or they prefer it over playing, you know... their PS/Xbox consoles.

Well, considering that the original Bayonetta was only released on the PS3 and 360, is it such a surprise that many of its fans are on the successor platforms? People may be fans of the original, but most aren't going to buy a console for one game. Is it really hard to figure out why people may be disappointed?

I don't care about Bayonetta one way or the other, but I think people wishing it was multiplatform is understandable. I mean, if the next main Ace Attorney game was announced as a Vita exclusive after years of being on Nintendo fans, would it be unreasonable for fans to want it on the 3DS as well? Could you honestly blame them for wanting to access the game without having to buy a whole nother handheld?

I'll leave the question to you, but the answer is "Of course not."

It's 2014 so they just need to shut the fuck up already, it's getting really tiresome and around September the game's coming out so they'll either buy it or ditch it.

I haven't really seen many people talking about this since the announcement, so... well, there you go.

Honestly, I still think Nintendo's funding of Bayonetta 2 is a mistake. I mean, I appreciate that they were trying to appeal to an outside demographic here, and they could always use the third party support, but, well, people as a whole don't care about Bayonetta. The original only sold around a million or so copies. At best, it was a very cult hit. That's not the sort of thing that sells consoles, certainly not enough to really justify the investment. A niche franchise entry from a niche developer on a very niche console doesn't equate to a smash hit.

Reactions: chavosaur

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, considering that the original Bayonetta was only released on the PS3 and 360, is it such a surprise that many of its fans are on the successor platforms? People may be fans of the original, but most aren't going to buy a console for one game. Is it really hard to figure out why people may be disappointed?

I don't care about Bayonetta one way or the other, but I think people wishing it was multiplatform is understandable. I mean, if the next main Ace Attorney game was announced as a Vita exclusive after years of being on Nintendo fans, would it be unreasonable for fans to want it on the 3DS as well? Could you honestly blame them for wanting to access the game without having to buy a whole nother handheld?

I'll the question to you, but the answer is "Of course not."

I haven't really seen many people talking about this since the announcement, so... well, there you go.

Honestly, I still think Nintendo's funding of Bayonetta 2 is a mistake. I mean, I appreciate that they were trying to appeal to an outside demographic here, and they could always use the third party support, but, well, people as a whole don't care about Bayonetta. The original only sold around a million or so copies. At best, it was a very cult hit. That's not the sort of thing that sells consoles, certainly not enough to really justify the investment. A niche franchise entry from a niche developer on a very niche console doesn't equate to a smash hit.

There is disappointment and then there is the levels of cretinism that the Bayonetta 2 announcement saw happen. At points it would have been enough to make a megaman fan say "steady on there", fortunately it fizzled out at bit as the world can only take one fanbase as awful as megaman's.

Reactions: Skelletonike

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow at what happened in this topic. How did the title change? Anyway I'd like to list more reasons why I think Nintendo should be the ones to get Capcom.

1. Many of capcom's franchises that they have neglected would be revived. This includes megaman, breath of fire, resident evil, bionic commando. Plus the IPs that were created by platinum games would also be revived. Like viewtiful joe, okami, devil may cry, godhand. Since platinum games works close with nintendo now.

2. Nintendo and capcom have had a good relationship that goes all the way back to the 80s. megaman, street fighter, bionic commando, ghosts and goblins, they all debuted on nintendo systems. Plus we got the best resident evil games when they were gamecube exclusive (RE1 remake, RE0, RE4). Capcom also made the best 2D zelda games.

3. Perhaps most importantly, Nintendo knows that they are not getting third party support. This is the problem with Wii U. This is why we have these long game droughts in between new releases. Acquiring capcom would be a major help with that. Because they wouldn't just be getting capcom's IPs. They would get their development teams as well. Nintendo said that they wanted to expand. And this is the best way to do so. Who wouldn't want to buy a system that was the exclusive home to both nintendo and capcom franchises? I sure would.

4. To people saying that microsoft, EA, activision, could buy capcom and thus ruin them. Stop worrying. There is a law in japan that prohibits an american company from buying a japanese one. This is why microsoft could not buy atlus, despite having more money then sega.

5. To people saying that nintendo flat wouldn't buy capcom. Why do you thing that? Is it because they didn't buy atlus? Read the above link I posted. Nintendo has explicitly said that they are looking towards mergers and acquisitions. Capcom would be the best acquisition they could ever make. Plus consider the alternative. If they loss capcom to someone like sony, or a third party who hated them, that would be the end of ace attorney, and monster hunter exclusivity. Megaman would be pulled out of smash bros, plus we'd never see another megaman game. In short, it'd be terrible. Nintendo wouldn't let that happen when they aren't getting exclusives from anyone else.

6. Nintendo needs some extra manpower and exclusives. In other words, they need to expand. Gaining the capcom development teams as well as their IPs would be a huge boost for them. And would fill in what nintendo is currently missing.

7. To people saying that Nintendo would kiddify capcom's mature IPs. Consider this. Bayonetta 2 and devil's third. Nintendo knows that they need mature franchises so adults will buy their system. They won't down tone resident evil or devil may cry.

8. To people saying that nintendo would ruin street fighter because of their online infrastructure. Go play mario kart 8 online. It's pretty much flawless. If you're worried about the controller gimmicks, use the pro or gamecube controller instead.

9. Finally, Sony wouldn't really be hurt too much by this. Remember, nintendo would still not be getting support from other third parties. This includes Konami, square-enix, EA, rockstar, bethesda, bungie, insomniac, activision, and so on. All of these developers will still flock to Sony to put their games on their system. So there wouldn't be a shortage of games for PS4 by any means. It would balance out.

10. In closing, this just flat out needs to happen. I can't see anything bad coming from this. It would help nintendo and it would help capcom. Plus Nintendo is the only company I trust enough to fully revive Capcom into the fantastic company they used to be.

Reactions: Ace Overclocked

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol