Capcom for sale

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow at what happened in this topic. How did the title change? Anyway I'd like to list more reasons why I think Nintendo should be the ones to get Capcom.

1. Many of capcom's franchises that they have neglected would be revived. This includes megaman, breath of fire, resident evil, bionic commando. Plus the IPs that were created by platinum games would also be revived. Like viewtiful joe, okami, devil may cry, godhand. Since platinum games works close with nintendo now.

2. Nintendo and capcom have had a good relationship that goes all the way back to the 80s. megaman, street fighter, bionic commando, ghosts and goblins, they all debuted on nintendo systems. Plus we got the best resident evil games when they were gamecube exclusive (RE1 remake, RE0, RE4). Capcom also made the best 2D zelda games.

3. Perhaps most importantly, Nintendo knows that they are not getting third party support. This is the problem with Wii U. This is why we have these long game droughts in between new releases. Acquiring capcom would be a major help with that. Because they wouldn't just be getting capcom's IPs. They would get their development teams as well. Nintendo said that they wanted to expand. And this is the best way to do so. Who wouldn't want to buy a system that was the exclusive home to both nintendo and capcom franchises? I sure would.

4. To people saying that microsoft, EA, activision, could buy capcom and thus ruin them. Stop worrying. There is a law in japan that prohibits an american company from buying a japanese one. This is why microsoft could not buy atlus, despite having more money then sega.

5. To people saying that nintendo flat wouldn't buy capcom. Why do you thing that? Is it because they didn't buy atlus? Read the above link I posted. Nintendo has explicitly said that they are looking towards mergers and acquisitions. Capcom would be the best acquisition they could ever make. Plus consider the alternative. If they loss capcom to someone like sony, or a third party who hated them, that would be the end of ace attorney, and monster hunter exclusivity. Megaman would be pulled out of smash bros, plus we'd never see another megaman game. In short, it'd be terrible. Nintendo wouldn't let that happen when they aren't getting exclusives from anyone else.

6. Nintendo needs some extra manpower and exclusives. In other words, they need to expand. Gaining the capcom development teams as well as their IPs would be a huge boost for them. And would fill in what nintendo is currently missing.

7. To people saying that Nintendo would kiddify capcom's mature IPs. Consider this. Bayonetta 2 and devil's third. Nintendo knows that they need mature franchises so adults will buy their system. They won't down tone resident evil or devil may cry.

8. To people saying that nintendo would ruin street fighter because of their online infrastructure. Go play mario kart 8 online. It's pretty much flawless. If you're worried about the controller gimmicks, use the pro or gamecube controller instead.

9. Finally, Sony wouldn't really be hurt too much by this. Remember, nintendo would still not be getting support from other third parties. This includes Konami, square-enix, EA, rockstar, bethesda, bungie, insomniac, activision, and so on. All of these developers will still flock to Sony to put their games on their system. So there wouldn't be a shortage of games for PS4 by any means. It would balance out.

10. In closing, this just flat out needs to happen. I can't see anything bad coming from this. It would help nintendo and it would help capcom. Plus Nintendo is the only company I trust enough to fully revive Capcom into the fantastic company they used to be.

The title change was my fault, I merged a USN thread on the same subject and it got lost in the shuffle.

Anyway.
1. Why would they magically get revived? It could happen but historically takeovers tend to see staff and the odd series/IP cherry picked. At best you might get some virtual console type arrangements.

2. Many of those had versions of Nintendo systems, sometimes quite notable ones, but other than megaman most of those were arcades first of all. On Resident Evil, I could see calling those the best, were they the best because of Nintendo or in spite of it?

4. Perhaps, however this is why companies have very expensive lawyers and accountants on staff/retainer and why they make significant contributions to retirement funds of politicians. Likewise it could possibly go like how THQ went and all their various IPs get auctioned off. Maybe something called Capcom would might survive but it would be in the same way Atari, Commodore and Interplay still survive.

5. Is ace attorney an exclusive franchise? I see it on windows and mobile phones these days. Also why would there be no more megaman should Sony get their paws on things?

6. Dev teams are nice, how much they have already done though is a different matter. If you have to wait three years for them to get the games flowing then that might not be ideal.

7. This is an interesting debate to have, censorship is not an all or nothing thing though and I would put reasonable money on Nintendo perhaps not taking risks with such content where the old Capcom folks might have.

8. Having not played MK8 I can not say there but one game does not an online infrastructure make.

9. Not sure what relevance it has -- the fortunes and failings of one megacorporation or another are not so interesting.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Well, considering that the original Bayonetta was only released on the PS3 and 360, is it such a surprise that many of its fans are on the successor platforms? People may be fans of the original, but most aren't going to buy a console for one game. Is it really hard to figure out why people may be disappointed?
Those pricks knew from day one of its announcement that Bayonetta 2 was funded exclusively by Nintendo and no one else, so by that alone they could figured it out that it'd never be released on PlayStation, Xbox or PC.

I keep reading "Platinum Games plz release Bayonetta 2 on Xbox (or PlayStation)!!" regardless that they're fully aware unless they've been away from the internet for ages and didn't know about it.

Anyway, I agree that Nintendo should purchase Capcom and then those franchises that they wouldn't make use of they could always put up for sale.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sure Nintendo is so kiddy that they don't allow bloody violent games.. right? Oh wait.
Edit: Just because it's a mature game doesn't mean it's actually good (Resident Evil 5, 6).
Both of the examples you've given were covered earlier in the thread. Nobody says that mature games are automatically better than non-mature games, we're discussing Nintendo's attitude towards mature games and whether or not they even sell on Nintendo platforms.
Just like Mass Effect 1 never went multiplatform when Microsoft funded the development? :)
Exactly. The IP belongs to Platinum Games, and unlike publishing deals, this ownership does not magically "vanish" just because Nintendo funded the game. As soon as the publishing deal reaches its "deadline", Platinum Games can do whatever they feel like with Bayonetta 2. When that time comes is a matter of the specifics of the deal they signed with Nintendo.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I guess that isn't too bad.

Turn games into Pay to Play games (Tekken, Soul Calibur, Ridge Racer), make dodgy devs (Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z) produce the games and franchises which still have a good chunk of fans waiting to get a good game it always turns up a shit one (Dragon Ball -- at least in 2015 we'll have Dimps back for a new Dragon Ball game which is guaranteed to be with seal of quality).

So no, Bandai Namco wouldn't.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I hope Disney buys Capcom so MegaMan can join the Avengers.

The Mega Man that should join Avengers:

Mega-Man-1.jpg

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
'Joins Avengers, beats them all, gains all their powers, become a ultimate fighting robot and shit-stops on galactus'

Absorbs Aquaman's powers, and.......... :P

Anyways, whatever you feel about Nintendo, I feel they would benefit the most by purchasing Capcom.

Reactions: clarky

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1