Cant we slide the wifi module OFF to prevent updates?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Chris_Skylock, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Chris_Skylock
    OP

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    I just dreamed this awhile ago that Why cant we just slide the WiFi module OFF to prevent the FORCED updates or prevent it to go online EVERYTIME it's in SLEEP MODE? Anyone notices?

I dont like my 3DS to scan every 5 seconds because it's a waste of battery EVEN on sleep mode

[​IMG]

there's a WiFi ON and OFF slider

2. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    didn't they also say games would have have the firmware updates too and would install them if you started the game?
    And you probably need to use the Wi-Fi sooner or later for the virtual channel, shop channel + all the new stuffs. No wi-fi on the 3DS is almost like no Wifi on 360/ps3

3. Chris_Skylock
    OP

Philippines
    m just asking since I dont use the WiFi on my DSi's. but this is to prevent the force updates using the GatePass whatever the name was.

Im also aware about the built in updates within the games, than you very much. Let's hope these updates were ommited when we have Flashcarts ready but im just waiting and seeing what will happen next

sorry for this semi-stupid question but is is just a first aid question regarding that you just updated without your knowledge.

4. Orangejb5

Newcomer Orangejb5 Member

Canada
    well. at times you cant find wi-fi (like lets say your out) .. unless you use ones like on the phone ..
    unless ..

5. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Of course you could do that. But you won't be able to enjoy the 3DS fully since many of the games will have multiplayer.
    It's just like the Wii: if you don't update, you lose access to all Nintendo WiFi connection features.

6. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    I have a feeling that the games will be engineered to be validated online at least once, or all the fun "modes" will only be accessible with an online connection, effectively making every game a glorified Demo of sorts, if you don't have a Wifi connection, and are not updated to the latest firmware.

But, judging by Nintendo's track record. that won't matter much, will it?

7. pachura

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Of course you can turn the WiFi off. You cannot e.g. use wireless on a plane. However, exactly like on PSP, some games will require specific firmware updates to be installed.

8. Chris_Skylock
    OP

Philippines
    BINGO!! If they make games playable ONLY during online, I will not buy the 3DS. It's like Activision and Blizzard with their StarCraft 2 ANTI-PIRACY.

That is why I didnt bought the SC2 game even though I waited this much for the game.

You gave a nice point. I'll read the other posts and I might edit this one

UPDATE: I only play a HANDFUL of games so Im not always up to date. Just like my PSP, the required to be on 5.50 below. Hopefully, Pokemon games will be in my line. If we have an exploit, I do hope pokemon games (6th gen) are released before the esploited patch.

Like I said, there are people who dont always play the nwer games so updating is not our priorities unless there's a game we like and/or the exploited was not yet patch. I do hope you get my point.

So much more, my question has been answered but be my guess to add some more points. I love reading other people's opinion

9. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    There is no way they are going to require games to be validated online. Why? Because as shocking as this might be to believe, not everybody has Wi-Fi at home or even nearby. For instance, my brother. He would have to drive into town for 10-15 minutes to go to a place with free wi-fi. And it's not like my brother is a hermit out in the woods or something. I wasn't even able to get broadband at home until last summer. There are many other people like this, and there certainly not going to do this every time there's a new game.

Beyond that, the fw updates on the Wii and DS certainly have not accomplished much. The sky is not falling people.

10. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    This is a brand new console, and this may very well be the case. Valve does this very thing and it's been sucessful. I also have a feeling that if you can buy a 3DS and games, it would be safe to assume you can buy a wireless router, and afford at least a DSL connection. All this can also be avoided once the inevitable 3DS wifi dongle comes out,

11. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    I think it's maybe good that they have the autoupdate.

I think it is good both for nintendo and for us.
    Nintendo: More cash = more high quality games

customers: Not as easy to get games = we will enjoy and play the games we buy more since we wont have as much games to chose from. We will go back to the era were we had to check out tons of games reviews, movie clips and asking on forums if the games was worth to buy or not.

We may be standing on a point of a re-inveted era.

12. DryYoshi

Member DryYoshi Love child of Dry Bones and Yoshi

Netherlands
    I agree with everyone else.
    You probably have to validate a game online the first time (maybe even with a code in the box) and/or everytime you go online the 3DS does a auto-update.

13. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    Maybe is just like the PSP slider.

14. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    You guys are so silly. There's a difference between Steam and the 3DS. The 3DS is a portable. Wifi is pretty widespread now, but it's not universal. Nintendo knows in most places you will be cut off from wireless. They're not gonna shoot themselves in the foot in the name of anti piracy.

15. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States

There is a massive difference between PC and 3DS. Beyond that, you assume everybody even has access to broadband. Not everybody does. I didn't until just last summer, except for satellite. Some friends and family members of mine still don't, and one of them even lives fairly close to a big city.

16. pachura

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Noone is saying that the online connection will be needed to play single player games.

But the idea of requiring certain firmware updates and/or activating games sounds reasonable. If you buy a new game and plan playing it for 2 months in a middle of a forest, you can always activate it in the shop where you buy it.

17. Toader

Member Toader GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Your sig makes so much sense now! [​IMG]

18. CookiesMilk

Member CookiesMilk GBAtemp Regular

Malaysia
    Don't buy then don't buy~ I also wish you don't buy it hahahaha

19. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Turn off wifi?
    ARE YOU PSYCHO?

20. jackopeng

Newcomer jackopeng Member

United Kingdom
    Obviously Sony thought that firmware updates would stop piracy...did they? No, custom firmware came straight from this. Also i bet we'll be able to patch roms to be playable with certain Firmwares or even rip the firmware update from the Rom itself...