Hardware Cant we slide the wifi module OFF to prevent updates?

RE4zombie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's obvious Nintendo is getting much more serious with their AP. In my opinion, piracy is what stopped big third parties from making more high quality games for the Wii. If updates and AP mean I get more good games that are actually worth paying for, I won't mind the updates.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Maybe you'll get lucky and nintendo will force developers to have demos available in the 3ds store, thus eliminating your need to pirate.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Honestly, I don't think it'll be that easy to prevent system updates and hack the 3DS. Nintendo seems to be emphasising on it's anti-piracy technology inside the 3DS, so I doubt it'll be this easy to crack as to just switching off the Wi-Fi module to prevent a system update.

RE4zombie said:
In my opinion, piracy is what stopped big third parties from making more high quality games for the Wii. If updates and AP mean I get more good games that are actually worth paying for, I won't mind the updates.
I disagree. Hardware limitations was one of the big reasons why, as developing for the Xbox 360 or PS3 will obviously make the game look advanced and more appealing than developing it for the Wii. The biggest reason, though, has to be the Wii's own popularity, which spawned the mountains of shovelware being released. The moms and dads walking into an electronics store will likely pick up Game Party instead of, say, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, because Game Party looks to be more reasonable for a video game in their opinion. Because the piles of crap nearly always outsell the top notch 3rd-party games like Muramasa, developers just won't even bother with making quality titles on the Wii because they likely aren't going to get much in return.

QUOTE(Nollog @ Nov 2 2010, 08:17 AM) Maybe you'll get lucky and nintendo will force developers to have demos available in the 3ds store, thus eliminating your need to pirate.
That would be nice, but what are the chances of that happening? Having thousands of demos available on the 3DS store will be a hassle to dig through.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
nintendo already said updates will come via games as well as wifi, so, for example, you turn off your wifi permanently to stop updates, new game comes out, buy game (or download hacked game) and it has update built into it, just like wii games.

you only have to close the lid and accidentally walk past a wifi hotspot without turning your wifi off and you will be updated. Its going to be very difficult this time guys.

I'm actually looking forward to buying some high quality games. Demo's for games makes this a dream come true for me.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lostdwarf: You're right on the updates in games, I'm going to have to say you're wrong on the wifi hotspot deal...

You can't guarantee power on a portable device and likewise you can't guarantee that the owner of the system won't open the case and turn off the system mid update if you do it without warning. Nintendo won't go that route because there is too great of a risk of systems dying during "random updates".

That said, I can see them downloading the updates to the system while the case is closed, but Nintendo wouldn't force the update in that state. That's not to say it couldn't prompt you with a "Update downloaded, you must update the system now" next time you turn it back on.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
nintendo have made very clear they are doing forced updates so no warning needed. In sleep mode updates will be stored on internal memory and when download is complete it will install it automatically. If you turn on the 3ds during this it will probably say 'please wait, installing'. If it runs out of power it probably has a resume install and a wont delete old and install new firmware untill power is at an acceptable level, same way dsi will not let you download a game unless you have enough power.

They will do something like this and yes, it will work and no, it will not make bricks.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
lostdwarf said:
(or download hacked game) and it has update built into it, just like wii games.
And like wii games, pirates will scrub the update out.

I doubt there will be silent updates to the firmware, prompts, but it won't install updates without asking you.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo would never in a million years force you to "register" a game via Wifi. Internationally, I doubt there's Wifi everywhere. Even in the US, there's not Wi-fi everywhere. Yes, there's lots of it, but not enough to do such a sadistic plan. If I didn't have my own wireless router, I'd consider not getting a 3DS, if this system were real, because I don't feel like driving 8 minutes to go to McDonald's just to register a game.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it looks like Nintendo has the 3DS by the balls and won't let go. Since there's a sleep mode update and it also downloads during gameplay, I guess pulling the battery out would only postpone the updates.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Who can truly say that the WiFi switch will prevent the device from checking for updates online? It could be there primarily for games, the Opera browser, and StreetPass. For all we know, it could, once every couple of days, turn the WiFi on for a few seconds, check for a signal, and turn back off. If it does connect and finds an update, it could download/update right then and there, or do whatever is necessary.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No Wi-Fi blasphemy and I don't play many games online, you'll miss out on the DLC which is pretty much the only thing I'm going to use Wi-Fi for on the 3DS. Although the games I'm wanting usually don't have online multiplayer (I play mostly RPGs and the occasional dating sim on Nintendo handhelds), there could be virtual console games I want to buy and DLC such as additional outfits. You'll need wi-fi at some point in the future even if you don't play games online or don't have any games with online capability.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Chris_Skylock said:
I just dreamed this awhile ago that Why cant we just slide the WiFi module OFF to prevent the FORCED updates or prevent it to go online EVERYTIME it's in SLEEP MODE? Anyone notices?

I dont like my 3DS to scan every 5 seconds because it's a waste of battery EVEN on sleep mode

3dsside-2.jpg

there's a WiFi ON and OFF slider

In the pic it states wireless switch.

Wireless = includes Wi-Fi?

Hopefully that switch will also deactivate SpotPass when charging, which is pretty annoying.
glare.gif

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This could do the job, but it won't give us a confirmation to actually prevent updates. Those updates are said to be included in the games, so if there would be a flashcard, the first thing that the developers and hackers have to do, is to find a way around the update, some sort of bypass, like the DS2 anti AP thing.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
boktor666 said:
Those updates are said to be included in the games, so if there would be a flashcard, the first thing that the developers and hackers have to do, is to find a way around the update, some sort of bypass, like the DS2 anti AP thing.

Maybe a patch on the games (like Pokemon Black/White AP protection - NO EXP DAMN!)?
But I bet that would not be enough.

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
chris888222 said:
boktor666 said:
Those updates are said to be included in the games, so if there would be a flashcard, the first thing that the developers and hackers have to do, is to find a way around the update, some sort of bypass, like the DS2 anti AP thing.

Maybe a patch on the games (like Pokemon Black/White AP protection - NO EXP DAMN!)?
naw, i think they make the games in a way that will use new firmware functions. If they really imply to do this, then flashcard developers have to update their firmware, in order to match the 3DS one.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
boktor666 said:
chris888222 said:
boktor666 said:

naw, i think they make the games in a way that will use new firmware functions. If they really imply to do this, then flashcard developers have to update their firmware, in order to match the 3DS one.
You mean it will be like:

METAL GEAR SOLID 3DS WILL NOT WORK UNLESS YOU UPDATE TO 3DS V99.99 FIRMWARE.
Do you wish to update now?

Lol, that's just my guess.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
imagine not being able to use online features tho
not good thoughts
and just a side note
it looks like they returned to the dang slider volume
i like my button for volume

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I always wondered how the autobots could afford to do the stuff they did on the show.... now I... +1