Homebrew Can't turn on 2ds xl without the specific micro SD card

Phorespher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I had luma on my 2ds xl, and like an idiot I reset my 2ds xl to the factory setting, formatted it. My micro SD card that's in there is the one that was used for the 2ds xl. Now when I try to turn on without the SD card, it'll say error has occured press any button to turn off. How can I fix it so that my 2ds xl will take any SD card?

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I had luma on my 2ds xl, and like an idiot I reset my 2ds xl to the factory setting, formatted it. My micro SD card that's in there is the one that was used for the 2ds xl. Now when I try to turn on without the SD card, it'll say error has occured press any button to turn off. How can I fix it so that my 2ds xl will take any SD card?
I think even though you formatted the device, it is still treated as a CFW device. If you are lucky you might be able to fix this by getting access to GodMode9 at least, in there you would basically have to mount the system NAND to the console and uninstall CFW, then after that you can proceed to format the device again and theoretically restore usage of different SD cards.

The uninstall guide can be found here:
https://3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw.html

One thing you can do to see if the system is still treated as a CFW device, make sure the files from before are present on the SD, insert the original SD card back into the console, and hold start to either access GodMode9 directly or Luma Chainloader (either way you should have already set the CFW device up to access GodMode9 one of the ways). If you can access it via holding start then fantastic, if not, do not fear, I have another idea up my sleeve.

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,
Reactions: Phorespher

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think even though you formatted the device, it is still treated as a CFW device. If you are lucky you might be able to fix this by getting access to GodMode9 at least, in there you would basically have to mount the system NAND to the console and uninstall CFW, then after that you can proceed to format the device again and theoretically restore usage of different SD cards.

The uninstall guide can be found here:
https://3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw.html

One thing you can do to see if the system is still treated as a CFW device, make sure the files from before are present on the SD, insert the original SD card back into the console, and hold start to either access GodMode9 directly or Luma Chainloader (either way you should have already set the CFW device up to access GodMode9 one of the ways). If you can access it via holding start then fantastic, if not, do not fear, I have another idea up my sleeve.
if its a recent cfw. the cfw is wrote to the internals of the console. a system formats not going to do anything to remove it. They should check about boot.firm and making sure the card is fat32 before doing a thing of uninstalling cfw.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if its a recent cfw. the cfw is wrote to the internals of the console. a system formats not going to do anything to remove it. They should check about boot.firm and making sure the card is fat32 before doing a thing of uninstalling cfw.
Last I checked the SysNAND isn't mounted, that's why when you remove the SD card and try booting the console, it instantly shuts itself off (I have done this myself to see what would happen). Now the user never mentioned of formatting the SD card, they formatted the console itself, indicating that they may have intended to remove CFW, which means the contents of the SD card is still present, which also means they can mount the system NAND still even if it wasn't setup all the way because of the format. Even if that wasn't the case, she could still proceed to set the console up until she at least reaches the home screen using that SD card, install CFW via one of the methods on the guide (NTRboothax for example) just to the point she has access to GodMode9, by then she can mount the system NAND and uninstall CFW.

Either way, one of these methods guarantees a restore of the functionality entirely. There is no reason for it to just suddenly act up especially in that way with other SD cards and not the original, a system format that never happens with (normally speaking). The other thing to note is if she can boot the system with the original SD card, then that means it is already fat32 because the system itself wouldn't work if it wasn't, which means she has the boot.firm and the remaining contents of her CFW install present on the SD.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Either people aren't understanding or.....I clearly said AFTER mounting the system NAND..
For what reason uninstalling CFW? There is some problem… let’s remove everything that could be used for troubleshooting.

@Phorespher Does it look like this:
Failed.JPG

In this case boot.firm on the console NAND is outdated. Unless you want to restore the previous state with all installed games, etc. Repeat the finalizing setup. After this it should fully boot with or without SD.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: Quantumcat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either people aren't understanding or.....I clearly said AFTER mounting the system NAND..
Uninstalling custom firmware is an absolutely terrible advice.

Even if the NATIVE_FIRM boots on open firmware, there are those who've ended up with semi-bricked setups where DS(i) is broken and/or have customized system titles (like fonts) still lingering around.
  • If system font (for example) is bricked because it's not legit, they have no way to navigate the menu.
  • if the DSi mode is bricked, they can't rehack with seedminer methods.
  • You can't even repair the 3DS firmware in Recovery Mode due to fake tickets not allowing the updates to go through.
So I repeat, do not uninstall custom firmware.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For what reason uninstalling CFW? There is some problem… let’s remove everything that could be used for troubleshooting.

@Phorespher Does it look like this:
View attachment 175086
Read the post @Phorespher said, they formatted the system, I assumed because they wanted to remove CFW by formatting (unless this was somehow an accident (unsure how that can even happen though)), which obviously didn't work based on the SD card they wanted to use not working. I told them to use the original SD card just so it would work, I then linked them the guide to uninstall CFW: https://3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw.html AFTER making sure it was detected as a CFW device still and had access to GodMode9. By then they can use whatever SD card they wanted. I don't exactly know what I did wrong here in terms of steps, I linked the guide which clearly states about mounting the NAND and uninstalling CFW.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Read the post @Phorespher said, they formatted the system, I assumed because they wanted to remove CFW by formatting (unless this was somehow an accident (unsure how that can even happen though)), which obviously didn't work based on the SD card they wanted to use not working. I told them to use the original SD card just so it would work, I then linked them the guide to uninstall CFW: https://3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw.html AFTER making sure it was detected as a CFW device still and had access to GodMode9. By then they can use whatever SD card they wanted. I don't exactly know what I did wrong here in terms of steps, I linked the guide which clearly states about mounting the NAND and uninstalling CFW.
Be assured: I read the original post of a thread carefully before replying. (Would be ridiculous to not do it with my current GBAtemp status message)

I have no idea what you mean with mounting the system NAND in this context. The only thing that is mounted on the uninstall guide is a file containing “native.firm”. We don’t know why @Phorespher used “Format System Memory” – maybe she had different problems before doing this and hoped to get rid of them by a factory reset. Even is the OP had intentions to turn her system back to stock firmware a warning is more appropriate than “Go ahead – here are the instructions to delete B9S”.

In case the only problem is “Failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es)” because of outdated boot.firm on CTRNAND, uninstalling CFW would get rid of this. Nevertheless this is a bad advise in my opinion because removing B9S has no benefits at all and can have bad side effects. It is certainly not necessary to remove B9S in order to use a different SD.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be assured: I read the original post of a thread carefully before replying. (Would be ridiculous to not do it with my current GBAtemp status message)

I have no idea what you mean with mounting the system NAND in this context. The only thing that is mounted on the uninstall guide is a file containing “native.firm”. We don’t know why @Phorespher used “Format System Memory” – maybe she had different problems before doing this and hoped to get rid of them by a factory reset. Even is the OP had intentions to turn her system back to stock firmware a warning is more appropriate than “Go ahead – here are the instructions to delete B9S”.

In case the only problem is “Failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es)” because of outdated boot.firm on CTRNAND, uninstalling CFW would get rid of this. Nevertheless this is a bad advise in my opinion because removing B9S has no benefits at all and can have bad side effects. It is certainly not necessary to remove B9S in order to use a different SD.
I merely was just trying to kill two birds with one stone, I just assumed that she wanted to format the system to remove CFW (probably where the misunderstanding went for me), while having the ability to use other SD cards. As for the comment of not understanding the mounting NAND thing, It's under Section I - Safety Test step 12, says mount the image. I was not telling her to immediately mount it either, I was just summarizing what she had to do based on the guide I linked, but I linked the guide just so she could follow it carefully herself.

Proof of step 12:
mount.png

Lastly, "removing B9S has no benefits at all and can have bad side effects" only applies if you don't actually read the steps carefully (meaning following the directions), I personally have done this at least three times for various tests and never had an issue with it, worst case scenario you use a NAND backup (you should already have one, if not then what are you doing, make one before doing anything damn it?!), before you say "but you removed CFW", you can still access SafeB9SInstaller if you use something like NTRboothax to access it and get access to GodMode9 after that to restore the NAND (I did this once just to see if it would work).

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another reason why removing the custom firmware is strongly advised against is because many 3DS users don't possess ntrboot flashcart or have the means to buy one (ie, very low standard of living, aka "too broke" -or- their country is excluded from worldwide shipping).
To these individuals with limited means, softbricking their firmware by CFW removal really does mean ending up with unrecoverable paperweight. For debugging or troubleshooting the 3DS firmware, the CFW should never be removed.

Only if one knows what they're exactly doing and can accept the risk of bricking,
I can see the argument for uninstalling the custom firmware if the intention is to sell the 3DS for better store trade-in value or if the interested buyer won't accept a hacked system.

Reactions: Quantumcat

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If you are trying to uninstall CFW that is not the way to do it.
But if you don't want to get rid of CFW, all you should need to do is put the Luma3DS boot.firm back on the SD card again.

Reactions: Phorespher

Phorespher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it worked.
I just plugged in the sd card that was in my gps and it opened without that screen tysm for helping meee:toot:. Also I wanted to remove it because I dont play my 2ds anymore and wanna sell it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Mondooooo, sadly I dont have any tips