Homebrew Can't solve many problems, I'm dumb

ander

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, problem solved for emuNAND. FBI works correctly. But in sysNAND the app just disappeared... Although I've chose "H&S Inject", as written in the guide. What have gone wrong? How to fix that and get FBI in sys too?

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, problem solved for emuNAND. FBI works correctly. But in sysNAND the app just disappeared... Although I've chose "H&S Inject", as written in the guide. What have gone wrong? How to fix that and get FBI in sys too?

. . . are you in rxtools sysnand. . . or real nand sysnand
because if you dont boot rxtools sysnand then thats totally normal behavior . . .
starting with the power off power on and when you see the rxtools screen hold "L" and then press "A" then "X" then hold the button to skip menuhax you should load into rxtools sysnand there h&s/fbi should exist

ander

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have Cakes, not RXTools... Without holding L while booting, I think I'm in the normal NAND, I guess.

In that case (oh God, someone is going to kill me in a VERY painful way), I don't where the hell is sysNAND or how to boot it.

Uziskull

Picture may not be real
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have Cakes, not RXTools... Without holding L while booting, I think I'm in the normal NAND, I guess.

In that case (oh God, someone is going to kill me in a VERY painful way), I don't where the hell is sysNAND or how to boot it.

In a simple way, the sysNAND is the official console firmware, while the emuNAND is the firmware being emulated from the SD card. Custom firmwares, such as Pasta, RXTools and Cakes, make emuNAND able to run apps/games that you've installed; on the other hand, sysNAND doesn't let you.

To boot up the FBI you injected into sysNAND's H&S, I believe you need to boot sysNAND through a CFW app. There's Pasta Light (or something like that), that exists as a .3dsx and does exactly that. RXTools can also boot sysNAND through its menu.
I believe you need this because the system can recognize if an app is patched or not for your console, and if you boot it through a CFW app it patches the signature (or disables signature-reading, something like that). If you don't, the console will notice that FBI isn't an official app and it will remove it from sight.

ander

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, of ALL the CFW, I have installed the most unconventional one. Mh, great. Lucky as fu- I meant, as always.

Summarizing, Cakes doesn't boot up the patched sysNAND, right? What should I do? Replace the Cakes launcher with the Pasta/Mini Pasta/Pasta Light/That thing? Do I need to install something, create a new CFW... What are the steps I must follow, if there are any?

Uziskull

Picture may not be real
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The sysNAND doesn't autopatch itself. You need to run the patched version through a CFW, there's plenty of ways to do so. I don't know if Cakes can boot up the patched sysNAND, never used it :/

You might wanna try PastaCFW, seems like it would run in your case:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/pasta-c...d-on-old-and-new-3ds-required-ninjhax.388925/

Edit: Seems like Cakes can indeed start up patched sysNAND. Try looking at its options.
Q: Is it possible to boot on sysNAND mode without using another SD card that doesn't have emuNAND set-up?
A: Yes.

Last edited by Uziskull,

ander

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This guide seems awesome, I'll try it as soon as I can. Do I have to use Cubic Ninja every time or is there a way to boot up Pasta without the game?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It can? Really?
Where did you find out how?

Uziskull

Picture may not be real
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That guide seems old, pretty sure they use Cubic Ninja just as a way to access homebrew. So any hax you might have will do just fine ^^

Edit: The option to boot to patched sysNAND seems to be on the boot menu in Cakes, just select the one option that doesn't mention emuNAND.
Oh, and remember, installing stuff in sysNAND can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing; I'd advise only installing GBA/DSi stuff that needs to be installed to both NANDs to be played.

Last edited by Uziskull,

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This guide seems awesome, I'll try it as soon as I can. Do I have to use Cubic Ninja every time or is there a way to boot up Pasta without the game?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It can? Really?
Where did you find out how?
To boot into sysNAND on Cakes you need to uncheck the boot emuNAND in the configuration options, the people who have been helping haven't exactly been the most clear on how to do things so I'll try to help explain...

OK so sysNAND is what you see when booting your console without anything installed (menuhax, autoboot CFW etc.), however to run FBI from it you'll need to patch signature checks, I'd recommend setting up another entry in your boot manager to boot into minipasta by @zoogie. Most of this is covered in my CFW guide in my signature (including AGB_FIRM patching, which IS needed on o3ds/2ds btw)

EmuNAND is an emulated NAND on your SD card, this is meant to be updated to the latest version so you can use the eShop and play newer games, etc. While retaining the 9.2 system version... You can also install CIAs in emuNAND even when updated to the latest firmware so don't worry there. CFW can be quite complicated for new users due to it not being something that can be permanently installed currently, as well as emuNAND being a somewhat hard concept for some people to wrap their heads around (mostly because people don't know how to explain it well)

Hope this long winded post helps :)

Last edited by dark_samus3,

ander

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Got it... I think. The fact is that I use CRLTools in order to run the CFW, but it only boots emuNAND ("CakesFW") or the Homebrew Menu ("HomebrewMenu"). Therefore, I can't access the Cakes menu and decide which NAND to boot.
(I feel this post is written in an obscene english, hope you'll understand)

ander

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't know what MiniPasta exactly does or how to install/run it. Does this boot the Cakes menu or add sysNAND CakesFW to CRLTools?

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't know what MiniPasta exactly does
its a simple version of a sysnand only cfw so dont delete anything you only need to add the folder to your 3ds folder (the one with your hbc apps in it)
or how to install/run it
then power on - menuhax - hbc - mini pasta - victory . . . lol

ander

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Solved! I just had to hold L while loading "CakesFW", and it entered in the menu, in which I disabled autoboot. So, I now can choose between emu and sys without trouble. Thank all for your time.

The only problem remaining is about mGBA. I've tried to mess around with something, but didn't work. Is AGB_FIRM required? How to install it? How to play GBA games from both emu and sys? A guide or steps to follow would be appreciated. Thanks again.

*wormdood (don't know how to make "private" answers), thanks for details! And sorry... I managed to do it a moment before your post lol

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Solved! I just had to hold L while loading "CakesFW", and it entered in the menu, in which I disabled autoboot. So, I now can choose between emu and sys without trouble. Thank all for your time.

The only problem remaining is about mGBA. I've tried to mess around with something, but didn't work. Is AGB_FIRM required? How to install it? How to play GBA games from both emu and sys? A guide or steps to follow would be appreciated. Thanks again.

*wormdood (don't know how to make "private" answers), thanks for details! And sorry... I managed to do it a moment before your post lol
its cool
ok so mgba does not need or care about agb_firm
mgba is a homebrew solution that simply sucks on o3ds if you want to play gba roms then consider redownloading your gba roms as gba.cia games (or converting them to .cia yourself) . . . and i believe your cakes cfw will patch the agb_firm on the fly so you should not need to worry about that
*wormdood (don't know how to make "private" answers), thanks for details!
you mean like a private message (pm) you need to click my name (under my avatar pic) and click send pm

Last edited by wormdood,

ander

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm on mobile, not sure if that works lol

However, I've already tried to rename a .gba file in a .cia one and to place them in a GBA folder located in the root of SD. Didn't work.

So, the steps should be:
- Install game.gba with FBI
- You'll get game.gba.cia
- Do this in both sys and emu
- Launch HB and then mGBA
- Select the GBA folder and the game.gba.cia

At least, this is what I understood. Is this correct? Are there mistakes?

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

However, I've already tried to rename a .gba file in a .cia one and to place them in a GBA folder located in the root of SD. Didn't work.

So, the steps should be:

. . . its not that simple to convert your roms to cia you need a pc program to do it
just google gba.cia and redownload the games already in .cia format and use fbi/bbm or whatever your favorite .cia installer is to install them sysnand then you can play from sysnand
if you want to play them from emunand as well then install them in emunand as well
but either way the gba.cia must be installed to sysnand or it will not work from any-nand

Last edited by wormdood,

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So, the steps should be:

What you need to do is install the patched AGB_FIRM then you need to convert GBA ROMs to CIA format (check my guide that's in my signature, it explains all of this in detail) using the tools provided for converting ROMs to CIAs, Cakes WILL NOT patch AGB_FIRM on the fly (only rxTools does this) I do recommend CakesFW for o3ds, however it is a bit more... Multifaceted than rxTools (there's more options and my setup will vary from your setup most likely) anyways I had the idea of (possibly) making an AGB_FIRM on the fly patch for Cakes (really good idea now that I think about it) anyways GBA ROM conversion is fairly easy (generate a footer(done with a tool provided in the AGB_FIRM thread), get some banners, write some text and click "convert" and it'll spit you out a nice CIA that you just install with FBI (on both sysNAND and emuNAND))

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: wormdood

ander

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sorry, I wasn't able to find it... May I ask you to post it, please?
And, is this the guide you were referring to?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-agb_firm-signature-patcher-gba-rom-converter.390313/

Also, I've found a new "issue" (semissue! Ok, terrible). In the patched sysNAND, I couldn't launch the games installed from the eShop, while booting it unpatched (without holding L, then) makes them work. I've tried with TLOZ Four Swords Edition, which worked in normal sysNAND but freezes in a black screen on Cakes' sysNAND. How can I make them work in both Cakes' emuNAND and sysNAND?

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I wasn't able to find it... May I ask you to post it, please?
And, is this the guide you were referring to?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-agb_firm-signature-patcher-gba-rom-converter.390313/

Also, I've found a new "issue" (semissue! Ok, terrible). In the patched sysNAND, I couldn't launch the games installed from the eShop, while booting it unpatched (without holding L, then) makes them work. I've tried with TLOZ Four Swords Edition, which worked in normal sysNAND but freezes in a black screen on Cakes' sysNAND. How can I make them work in both Cakes' emuNAND and sysNAND?
This is the guide I'm referring to https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-complete-custom-firmware-guide.396349/ just scroll down to the Gameboy Advanced Firmware Patching segment and follow the instructions in the spoiler (which I also provided below because I'm nice)

So you're talking about GBA games installed as CIA? It would make sense the way you've described it if you didn't patch AGB_FIRM (you needed to download a CIA with 3dnus and apply a patch to it with the patch program first) btw, when you patch AGB_FIRM your GBA titles won't launch from sysNAND without patching, as the AGB_FIRM is now modified and unsigned which means you'll need to patch signatures (with Cakes or minipasta or whatever)

Last edited by dark_samus3,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: So true