PS1/2 can't get the swap working on my slim ps2

Lkr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm trying to swap for the AUF exploit on my slim ps2, but i can't get it to work. when i insert my burned DVD, it doesn't load. i have my sensors blocked, the regular game runs just fine while the tray is open. when i put in the burned dvd, the the sensor kinda freaks out a bit, and starts moving back and forth. it is important to note that i am using a DVD+RW since I do not have any blank DVD-R or DVD+R and I don't have any money. I have read of successful attempts with using an RW disc, but I can't get it to work. I'll buy a -R eventually if I have no other option

S

SixSenseEagle

IF you got DVD-R or DVD+R yet you need to look at this first
This is how i did mines DVD-R is recommended or DVD+R not DVD+RW your going have to use one of those two fomats also step 3 you should look at first if you already burned it with DVD-R or DVD+R correctly if you did all the steps right

Tutorial on how to use 007 Agent Under Fire PS2 game disc and a modified backup of that disk as a swap disk on a slim PS2 to install FMCB.

Step 1:
First you need to be able to swap discs on you ps2. To be able to do this you’re either going to need to do the tape and tissue method that’s free or buy magic keys. I chose the free method of tape and tissue and its working fine.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Mod-a-Play...-NO-CHIPS!/

Step 2:
Making your swap disc:
What you will need:
  • Original PS2 game disc of 007 Agent Under Fire
  • Apache v 1.1 (newer version will not work)
  • Dvd Decrypter (IMGBURN is the newest version of this now) or other dvd burning software able or raw write
  • Launch.elf v 4.30
  • USB Stick (I used a Lexar Firefly from Wal-Mart it cost about $12)
  • Free MCBOOT 1.7 (prepared for install)
The game you use needs to have elf binaries on it preferably with self explanatory names so you know when it's launched. 007 agent under fire has 3 elf binaries in the root of the dvd movie.elf, action.elf and driving.elf driving.elf is launched when a driving level is loaded. With action I think that's loaded when any other level is loaded, but I'm not sure I modded the driving.elf file.

Next Burn an iso of the game.
If you are using dvd decrypter(IMGBURN) select insert you ps2 game in the dvd drive select mode from the dvd decrypter menu and then iso then you chose where you want the file saved and you click decrypt.

Hack the game:
In this step you are going to replace one of the elf binaries with the uncompressed version of launch.elf

To do this you need to use apache v 1.1. Load the iso using apache v 1.1 select the file you are going to swap for the hack in my case driving.elf. Rename launch elf to the file you are replacing in my case driving.elf then click iso tools then click change TOC for selected file do not change the LBA, change the size of the file to the size of launch.elf the size is in bytes so for launch elf 4.30 you would change it to 877420 (To find this value you must right click on the file your going to replace driving.elf and then properties. Look at the size in bytes). then in apache select iso tools again and click update selected file then browse to the location of your renamed launch.elf and select it. Now close apache and burn the modded iso to disk. In DVD decrypter insert a blank dvd, select mode, iso, write, select your modded iso and then click burn.

Step 3: swap it
Before you go to swap your going to have to copy the FMCB install files to your usb drive. After this insert the original game in the PS2 power it on let it load past the intro and all the various splash screens and into the game menu now swap the original game with your hacked copy. Now you want to play the game until level 2. There are no cheats to change levels so you will actually have to play the first level (my suggestion is beat it then save it on memory card so you wont need to again.). The second level is the first driving level so as soon as the level goes to load ulaunchelf will load. Next you insert your usb drive into your usb port. I used the one on the left not sure if the other side works or not. In ulaunch.elf your going to select filebrowser then mass: and finally FREE_MCBOOT.ELF and this will start the FMCB program. Once the program is started you will want to configure FMCB so you can save the configs etc. Once configured you will probably need to restart and thankfully I told you to save the game right? So now you can go right back to ulaunch elf and follow the steps above to launch FMCB once launched install FMCB. Now you use ESR and play your backups of your original games because we don’t want you breaking the law right? =X
By Santaowns

Reactions: 1 person

Lkr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything correctly in the tutorial, so I will probably go get a DVD-R at the store soon. Hoping dollar tree sells 1 for a dollar or something

Lkr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for confirming I needed a DVD-R in a timely fashion! i went to the store this afternoon and got a five pack in anticipation of possibly getting a few coasters. i burned the exact same iso i had been trying to launch from my +RW. put the actual bond disc in the ps2, booted into AUF, and swapped discs at the menu and then selected the mission. loaded up like the normal game! encouraging sign with a swap i thought to myself, went back to the main menu, reswapped back to the real disc, and realized i forgot to load level 2. loaded it, swapped discs, bam, ulaunch loaded! so now i have fmbc installed!

one thing i don't understand is how to install the open ps2 loader. i had it in the apps folder on my usb stick but i don't know how to install/run it

S

SixSenseEagle

thanks for confirming I needed a DVD-R in a timely fashion! i went to the store this afternoon and got a five pack in anticipation of possibly getting a few coasters. i burned the exact same iso i had been trying to launch from my +RW. put the actual bond disc in the ps2, booted into AUF, and swapped discs at the menu and then selected the mission. loaded up like the normal game! encouraging sign with a swap i thought to myself, went back to the main menu, reswapped back to the real disc, and realized i forgot to load level 2. loaded it, swapped discs, bam, ulaunch loaded! so now i have fmbc installed!

one thing i don't understand is how to install the open ps2 loader. i had it in the apps folder on my usb stick but i don't know how to install/run it
No problem!!! :) also if your trying to open ps2 loader try to put it on the root of your usb stick

Lkr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i want to copy over a nfl 2k5 roster i downloaded. it is in .max format but i don't have an ar max. is there anyway to use this save?

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i installed the multi-version on my memory card in anticipation of also using it with my friend who has a fat(both are ntsc). how can i install it for him? just launch ulauncher from my memory card and then use the installer from the usb drive and tell it to instal on the memory card in slot 2? thanks
That is correct.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night