Hacking Cannot boot 3ds without sd after installing a9lh!

Eterniter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hello! Long time lurker here!

So i have been using 11.1 emunand with luma for a long time and after updating to 11.3 and getting blackscreens i decided it was high time to get on the A9LH bandwagon.

I followed this guide here https://3ds.guide/installing-arm9loaderhax to the letter and i got stuck at section VI-part 21. My 3ds won't boot at all without the sd, meanwhile everything works fine with the sd inside, a9lh installed and all. What is the problem? What can i do to fix it? Halp :(

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Here's the solution. Leave the sd card in? It's normal for A9LH to not work without SD Card. There's a variant that works without sd card but i'm not sure if its 100% finished yet.

Edit: Apparently my info's outdated :P

Last edited by dimmidice,

Eterniter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Is this how A9LH is supposed to work? It explicitly states in the guide that you can boot and configure Luma without the SD on. Without it, it won't even give me a black screen, it just won't try to boot.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this how A9LH is supposed to work? It explicitly states in the guide that you can boot and configure Luma without the SD on. Without it, it won't even give me a black screen, it just won't try to boot.
You must have used an outdated guide or skipped steps, since you should be able to boot without an sd if you followed that guide recently.

Eterniter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
A9LH without sd is now supported on the official A9LH. Just place arm9loaderhax.bin in CTRNAND using a program like FBI or GodMode9.
I have done this, copied arm9loaderhax.bin, from the root of the SD using FBI, inside CTRNAND but it won't boot still. Would Godmode make any difference?

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I have done this, copied arm9loaderhax.bin, from the root of the SD using FBI, inside CTRNAND but it won't boot still. Would Godmode make any difference?

When did you hack your console? If it was a while ago you are then using an old version of A9LH which does not support this feature, so no matter what you do, you cannot make it boot without SD unless you update A9LH. If you really don't need to boot without SD then why bother?

In fact, I'd really like to know why is it so important for you to be able to boot without SD?

Here's the solution. Leave the sd card in? It's normal for A9LH to not work without SD Card. There's a variant that works without sd card but i'm not sure if its 100% finished yet.

Get your facts straight before you comment nonsense like this. A9LH that supports SD-less boot has been out for months and is the version you install if you follow 3ds.guide

Eterniter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
When did you hack your console? If it was a while ago you are then using an old version of A9LH which does not support this feature, so no matter what you do, you cannot make it boot without SD unless you update A9LH. If you really don't need to boot without SD then why bother?

In fact, I'd really like to know why is it so important for you to be able to boot without SD?

Get your facts straight before you comment nonsense like this. A9LH that supports SD-less boot has been out for months and is the version you install if you follow 3ds.guide
Hacked it yesterday using the guide on the link, no clue what i did wrong but at least it is working with the sd. It is important because i don't like the idea of my 3ds being a complete brick without an SD card but oh well.

Quick question: In case i lose the sd or it is damaged can i just find the necessary files on the internet, put them on another sd and keep going or do i need this specific sd card?

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hacked it yesterday using the guide on the link, no clue what i did wrong but at least it is working with the sd. It is important because i don't like the idea of my 3ds being a complete brick without an SD card but oh well.

Quick question: In case i lose the sd or it is damaged can i just find the necessary files on the internet, put them on another sd and keep going or do i need this specific sd card?

Yes, considering it's not a brick as you claim...

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A9LH will not boot without the "arm9loaderhax.bin" being present in either the SD card or the CTRNAND. If you want your system to boot without the SD card, simply follow the rest of the guide here
https://3ds.guide/updating-a9lh

Reactions: Coogie

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
A9LH will not boot without the "arm9loaderhax.bin" being present in either the SD card or the CTRNAND. If you want your system to boot without the SD card, simply follow the rest of the guide here
https://3ds.guide/updating-a9lh

I'm confused though. He said he tried that (file on CTRNAND) already. He also said he hacked his 3DS yesterday with 3DS.Guide. If he followed the guide he'd already have newest version of A9LH that supports SD-less boot right? So how come it's not working for him?

Ty for the polite reply. Much appreciated. /s

What do you want me to say? Compliment on you misleading the members of this community with outdated "facts" about how the hack works? Claiming that A9LH is supposed to not work without an SD is nonsense and nothing more.

Last edited by Distrance,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I downloaded Luma 6.6 from github (didn't update it further through the installer though). Im currently on 11.3.
So let me get this straight. You 3DS boots when you have the "arm9loaderhax.bin" on the SD card, but it doesn't boot the same bin file from the CTRNAND?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
something is messed up with the ctrnand arm9loaderhax.bin. I was playing around a few weeks ago with no sd card inserted. I had no issues. from what I've seen, it looks on the sd card first for arm9loaderhax.bin . maybe try retransferring it to the root of ctrnand? I didn't read every post, so someone may have already suggested that.

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
al9h first check the sdcrd for a payload in root. if it does snot find one it then checks root of ctrnand.

if you have luma in ctrnand, it should boot without sdcard.

if you boot with sdcard in, but without a payload on it, but with good payload in CTRNAND, it will store the luma config file on the sdcard.

I would try to use FBI to delete and re paste the payload into ctrnand.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that was my suspicion as per some tests I did. I'm using the latest nightly build as per a few issues with some newer games as far as I remember on the sd card. the ctrnand of mine is using the latest official build. things like themes will revert to default if u use the ctrnand arm9loaderhax.bin

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Don't walk towards the light!