Cancelled Xbox 360 'GoldenEye 007' remaster leaks online

goldeneye.jpg

Initially developed as a title for the Xbox 360’s Live Arcade service, the remaster of the N64's classic GoldenEye 007 got canned in 2008 and never saw the light of day. “The main reason it didn’t happen was because there were too many stakeholders,” GoldenEye composer Grant Kirkhope, who was at Rare during the remaster’s development, told Video Games Chronicle. “Microsoft, Nintendo and EON [owners of the Bond license] could never agree on terms, and that’s before you even start to consider getting all the original movie actors to agree to have their likenesses used again. It would’ve cost a lot of money to get it done and because of that the project probably wouldn’t have been financially viable."

However, a near-final beta build has now found its way online and is reportedly playable on the Xbox 360 emulator Xenia. Being a remaster, it features a graphical overhaul, while still allowing players to switch between HD textures to the original N64 ones by pressing the right shoulder button. Playable on this leaked build is the single-player campaign and local multiplayer in split-screen. However, online multiplayer and leaderboards which were planned features for the final release aren't available.

You can find more about the features of this remaster from Digital Foundry's 2.5-hour livestream of the game below:

:!: As the leaked build for the unreleased GoldenEye 007 remaster is available online, here's a reminder that at GBAtemp we do not, under any circumstances, condone piracy, and will not facilitate the spreading of illegal ISO files, or any other kind of warez. Please be mindful when posting in threads and:

Please do not ask for illegal files
Please do not post illegal files
Please do not share links to sites that host illegal warez
Failure to adhere will result in account suspensions or permanent bans.
This isn't our first rodeo, you have been warned!

If you see any of these activities, please report them.

If you have any questions please refer to :arrow:GBAtemp's TOS

:arrow: SOURCE

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
It was a great game when it was released for N64 back in the day. I didn't own a N64 but one of my best friends had one and a copy of this game. I spent a lot of afternoons trying to finish the game with him. :)

I would probably have played it on the Xbox 360 if it was released as a remaster just to revisit one of my favorite games from my childhood. :D

Reactions: DrgnMasterKota

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
TBH I'm not that overly impressed after playing it for a bit. Controls still suck, and it doesn't necessarily look as amazeballs incredible that it was hyped up to be (even taking into consideration that it's a 13 year old game) IMO, although it's certainly an improvement for sure and running at 60fps makes it feel a billion times better to play.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, yeah? You condone piracy, right? Seems a little strange like this. Is it bad worded?

well, we can discuss piracy, just not provide links. all of the big three companies probably come here. we know Nintendo does anyway, and there's a good chance they'd try to shut down the site if we provided links.

Reactions: tfocosta

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I mean, this one was a faithful port of the original on the 360. GE Source is a multi-player only mod for PC.
once someone get a good mouse and keyboard input someway itll be awesome , its just fps with a controller is still fps with a controller . i tried a keymapper but the joystick doesnt feel nice with the mouse . and xenia isnt exactly gui friendly towards its settings .

D

Deleted User

A PC version might be more feasible, as the XBOX consoles are a PC in disguise.

On Xbox One and probably XSX sure, but Xbox 360 was totally different from PC and this is technically a Xbox 360 game. I doubt it'll be ported elsewhere because no one has ever ported an Xbox 360 game to anything else.

D

Deleted User

i tried out what i think this is on my xbox 360, and to me atleast it looks fuggin ugly

What did you expect? It's just better textures but it's the same game released on August 25th, 1997. Almost 25 years ago. It's not a remake it's just a remaster. If you want a remake you'd have to play the Wii/PS3/Xbox 360 version which was build from the ground up and had Daniel Craig instead of Pierce Brosnan as the main voice character.

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto