Beloved classic GoldenEye 007 lands on Switch and Xbox this week

GoldenEye007box.jpg

One of Rare's most well-known titles is hitting modern platforms this week. GoldenEye 007 is launching on Xbox through Game Pass and Nintendo Switch on January 27th, marking the first re-release of the 1997 N64 game, not counting a remake in 2010 made by Eurocom. Online multiplayer will be an included feature, exclusive to the Nintendo Switch version of the game, while the Xbox release will have traditional split-screen multiplayer.

:arrow: Source

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft? Rare? Nintendo?
Microsoft, who owns Rare. Like the re-release of Banjo, it's probably them licensing it out to Nintendo. And it's smart, I can't imagine much crossover or competition between Xbox and Nintendo, so might as well get more attention to it by putting it on the same brand it originally was released on, too.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are so many emulator inaccuracies it’s a bit laughable… I really want this to be good on Switch, but it’s going to be like using a low-end emulator, portably.

If midi instrument layers are missing, textures not loading/fitting properly and controls aren’t tight: it’s going to be hit or miss…

We know NSO emulation is good at pushing frames but it’s not very good for overall accuracy sadly.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if with its absence in the time since people will discover it has somewhat aged like milk.
Though on the other hand I do sing the praises of Perfect Dark XBLA version (granted it has bots, co-op, really nice customisable multiplayer and more besides) so maybe.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if with its absence in the time since people will discover it has somewhat aged like milk.
Though on the other hand I do sing the praises of Perfect Dark XBLA version (granted it has bots, co-op, really nice customisable multiplayer and more besides) so maybe.
PD was always superior but GE was the OG.

I had millions of hours on my N64 with mates on specific GE set ups and maps during its heyday. I wish I could go back in time.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm very interested to find out if the Switch version will still have the hidden ZX Spectrum emulator hidden in it like the original N64 version of Goldeneye did.

The N64 version had 10 ZX Spectrum games in it which were.

• Sabre Wulf

• Atic Atac

• Jetpac

• Lunar Jetman

• Alien 8

• Gun Fright

• Underwurlde

• Knight Lore

• Pssst

• Cookie

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm very interested to find out if the Switch version will still have the hidden ZX Spectrum emulator hidden in it like the original N64 version of Goldeneye did.

The N64 version had 10 ZX Spectrum games in it which were.

• Sabre Wulf

• Atic Atac

• Jetpac

• Lunar Jetman

• Alien 8

• Gun Fright

• Underwurlde

• Knight Lore

• Pssst

• Cookie
Should do because it’s the rom emulated.

Reactions: AmandaRose

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hmmm.... This will be emulated instead of ported?
Considering how complicated N64 is to be emulated because of the framebuffer inacuracies, pulling this off in such a revered title won't be nothing more than a miracle for the masses.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmm.... This will be emulated instead of ported?
Considering how complicated N64 is to be emulated because of the framebuffer inacuracies, pulling this off in such a revered title won't be nothing more than a miracle for the masses.
Yeah it’s not a port, it’s emulated on NERDs NSO hovercraft emulator.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1