Can you speak the language of your parents?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
juggernaut911 said:
@DS quit spamming naughty boy

my parents are both american but my great grandma is irish.. I don't think Ireland has a language though

They speak Gaelic, it's kind of similar to Welsh.

Endogene

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
TrolleyDave said:
juggernaut911 said:

my parents are both american but my great grandma is irish.. I don't think Ireland has a language though

isn't Gaelic an regional accent and Welsh and actual language?
sort of like Breton over here

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Endogene said:
TrolleyDave said:
juggernaut911 said:

isn't Gaelic an regional accent and Welsh and actual language?
sort of like Breton over here

No Gaelic is a full blown language like Welsh is. They don't speak it in NI but it's mandatory in the South.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
juggernaut911 said:

lol
gaylick!! XD

I speak spanish too... just thought I'd throw that one in there

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
Has she ever tried to teach it to you or have you tried to learn it? I'm crap when it comes to being multilingual so that kind of put me off, but also I just never really had the urge to.
She tried to teach me it but never got past very, very basic words like hot, shower, clean, you know, momish words.
tongue.gif
She did bring my (older) sister to a Chinese school (not full blown, like afterschool or something) and my sister hated it and didn't fit in (me and my sis look 100% American and 0% Asian) so she didn't bother trying with me.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
My dad is brazilian, my mom is brazilian, and I can speak brazilian!
ph34r.gif

lol, seriously, you guys are lucky to have the chance to learn a second language at home.. I wish I was that lucky :/

My mom was an english teacher and thought me some though
smile.gif

Bishang

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My dad can speak Ilocano, Tagalog, and some Kapangpangan (besides English). My mother speaks Visayan, Ilocano, and Tagalog. I only speak English and understand Ilocano, but only a little bit of Tagalog.

Right now I'm trying to learn how to speak Ilocano, but my parents don't have the time to teach me and there isn't a really good learning software out there for it.

Edit: Ilocano, Tagalog, Visayan, and Kapangpangan are just a few of the many languages in the Philippines.

Pretty much, I'm a Filipino mutt
rolleyes.gif

DivineZeus

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, uhm... my grandparents are italians, my parents are italians, i am italian and as far as i know, all my family back in time is from Italy, so.... yes, i can speak my parent's language!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Bishang said:
My dad can speak Ilocano, Tagalog, and some Kapangpangan (besides English). My mother speaks Visayan, Ilocano, and Tagalog. I only speak English and understand Ilocano, but only a little bit of Tagalog.

Right now I'm trying to learn how to speak Ilocano, but my parents don't have the time to teach me and there isn't a really good learning software out there for it.
rolleyes.gif
You have to explain that these are Filipino languages, most people here don't know what they are.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Westside said:
Bishang said:

rolleyes.gif
You have to explain that these are Filipino languages, most people here don't know what they are.

Good call, I was just about to ask that!

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Westside said:
Bishang said:

rolleyes.gif

Oh.. I thought his parents were trekkers..

Jundeezy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Both of my parents are from the Philippines, and can only speak Tagalog I think. I can understand them, but cannot speak it fluently.

EDIT: They can speak English of course.

Bishang

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CockroachMan said:
Westside said:
Bishang said:

rolleyes.gif

Oh.. I thought his parents were trekkers..
Oh yeah... Those are all Filipino languages. Too many languages for one country.

Just to let you guys know, I'm a girl
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol