Can you run FF7NES on NESDS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by CorvoSol, Mar 10, 2012.

Mar 10, 2012
  1. CorvoSol
    OP

Newcomer CorvoSol Member

United States
    Hey, so I have a wood R4 and was wondering if I could run FF7NES on it at all? The emulator I have is NESDS, but if it runs on another emulator, that'd be cool. I just want to actually have the game portable and all.

2. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    why don't you try it and in the process answer your own question?

-another world

3. CorvoSol
    OP

Newcomer CorvoSol Member

United States
    I did try it and it didn't work. The point of going to the trouble of posting on this forum is to find out if I did something wrong, or if it simply isn't possible. Theoretically, it saves time. Thanks for not being helpful, though.

4. Another World

Colombia
    for one, you never stated that you tried it. you only asked IF it worked. naturally, it is easy to assume, you aren't being helpful to yourself and you were asking the community to test for you.

it uses mapper 163. so you should test with all the graphic modes, then test some other pirated roms which use that mapper. if both fail then its a matter of asking the nesds team to implement that mapper.

from what i've read the code for ff7 is very dirty, its possible that mapper is supported but the game is at fault.

there was a project to reverse engineer the rom and get it running on a different mapper, but it never got off the ground.

-another world

5. CorvoSol
    OP

Newcomer CorvoSol Member

United States
    Thank you. This is what I was asking.

6. Another World

Colombia
    http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/Shenzhen_Nanjing_Technology_Co.,_Ltd.

google for the 'fami dumping project'.

a lot of the good pirated games, remakes, and multi-roms, run with mapper 163. when you ask for support from the nesds team, make sure you have a good reason to get them interested. testing, and then listing the 30 or so roms that fail might be a good start.

you can ask for nesds updates here: http://gbatemp.net/topic/283008-updates-about-nesds/

they are fairly receptive to good ideas. i was able to get on-the-fly ips patching and japanse rom mic support added simply by asking and stating my case.

-another world

7. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Some people modified an old version of PocketNES to support this particular game, but I don't think the source was ever released

Relevant info is here: http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/boards/viewtopic.php?t=6660

I see that he edited the links back in after I had removed them. Meh, whatever.