Can you build a PC as powerful as the XB1X for $500?

PCWorld have tried, and apparently the answer is a big NO.

XboxOneX.jpg

In an attempt to create a custom built computer with specifications matching exactly those of the newly revealed Xbox One X (which I personally decided to refer to as XB1X but feel to come up with your own acronym), PCWorld concludes that, apparently, for the first time in the history of gaming, a console may be more powerful than a custom built computer of the same price tag at the time of its release!

XB1X specs:
CPU: Custom AMD 8-core @ 2.3 GHz
GPU: Custom AMD chip @ 6.0 teraflops
RAM: 12 GB GDDR5
HDD: 1 TB
OPT: 4K Blu-ray drive

PCWorld's attempt #1
With 8GB DDR3 for a total cost of $652
upload_2017-6-17_10-1-34.png

PCWorld's attempt #2
With 8GB DDR4, for a total cost of $944
upload_2017-6-17_10-1-46.png

So... can you do better than PCWorld? Let us know what you think. PC master race!
Read more at PCWorld

xelrix

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Sorry but you're still not going to get the same performance on Windows 10 as you would on a version of Windows made specifically, and only, for gaming. How do you think the PS4 and XBone look so nice yet aren't very powerful? Your build is similar, but XBOneX will play games more efficiently and just overall better. What kills your build is the 4GB of VRAM.
Nice anecdotes you have there, but gaming on pc is more efficient and overall better. Native 4k vs upscaled 4k, 60fps vs 30fps.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I do understand what you are saying about them playing the same games. They are functionally the same games in mechanics, storyline narrative, etc, but are developed for different user-environments. If they were exactly the same game, you could buy one copy of any game and put it into whatever piece of hardware, PC or console, and play it.

The PC game, as long as it's not a port from a console version, is made to be graphically customized because of the staggering array of hardware configurations (there are most likely millions of combinations of hardware configuration that could result in a $500 PC, like spending $300 on a GFX card and $200 on the rest of the PC). Console games are locked to the hardware limits the devs can push the console to, customization is not a factor, and some graphical features are lessened to a great extent or completely absent.

If someone's not able to tell the difference, there really shouldn't be a point to tell them to compare spec sheets seeing how they can't compare the end result.

The only opinion I am presenting is that it's wrong to make these comparisons of hardware that function differently on top of having different target audiences. Someone who buys an XB1X shouldn't have the mentality of "Wow I just bought a $500 gaming console that's worth an X dollar amount PC, what a smart purchase, imagine what I can do with this vs. that," - because that's not how it works. This seems like fanboy flame war fuel propagated by a M$ shill (not you, PCWorld) to me.

EDIT: Also, this is just a cheap way of basically lying about the quality of the performance. They're just listing parts builds, and are NOT able to run a desktop OS on the XB1X to compare performance, or able to run the XBOX One games on a PC to make this article anything more than a pile of BS.
Most graphical customization are just textures. Compatibility are mostly drivers, which is not maintained by game devs.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Can't wait to see the PC Master race group's excuse for this is going to be. It's gonna be gold.
OK I'll make a start....

PC's are easily upgradable..
the xB1x will probably be underpowered in a few months time, while PC's can have parts changed to keep up with latest technology

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Can't wait to see the PC Master race group's excuse for this is going to be. It's gonna be gold.
why would we need to make an excuse on a shit under powered console that won't do 4k/60 native properly (your dreaming if you think it will) has no exclusives, a ripoff online system that's full of tweens cracking fuck your mom jokes when i can play ALL it's games on the PC faster, better, stronger AND FREE online? now if you'll excuse me ima go spend $3k upgrading my pc to a
ryzen 1800x, asus crosshair VI hero, evga 1080 ti ftw3, Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4 2666MHz ram and watch it SHIT ALL over the ROBOT 1-X! it's called having a great job and buying wat eva da fuk i want :creep:

Reactions: rileysrjay

Firion Hope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone's probably pointed this out, but I'm pretty sure the Original Xbox was also more powerful than any custom built PC of the time.

Also for OS you could use Linux, it'd still have more games than Xbone X (though realistically if you're gaming you want Windows anyway)

Reactions: XC-3730C

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone's probably pointed this out, but I'm pretty sure the Original Xbox was also more powerful than any custom built PC of the time.

Also for OS you could use Linux, it'd still have more games than Xbone X (though realistically if you're gaming you want Windows anyway)
Yes, and Original Xbox is still thinking of emulator consoles. It is still being worked on to this day.

I would want a powerful PC $500 orvundervfor Hyperspin at 1080p or even 4K.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: MrJason005

choupette

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France

View attachment 90400

In an attempt to create a custom built computer with specifications matching exactly those of the newly revealed Xbox One X (which I personally decided to refer to as XB1X but feel to come up with your own acronym), PCWorld concludes that, apparently, for the first time in the history of gaming, a console may be more powerful than a custom built computer of the same price tag at the time of its release!

snip

There are three very important things to note though :
1) do the same price check when the console's out for real.
2) do the same price check one year after the console's out.
3) do the same price check two years after the console's out.

and finally, WTH would you want a $500 gaming pc, I don't think many people would consider possible to have a decent gaming pc for that price tag, and consoles are great at that price, it has never been about raw power, especially since it will never compare to real gaming pc (that will always be more expensive) and any edge it may have on a gaming pc will not last long. Well, in any word what a waste of time from PC World ^^'

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why would we need to make an excuse on a shit under powered console that won't do 4k/60 native properly (your dreaming if you think it will) has no exclusives, a ripoff online system that's full of tweens cracking fuck your mom jokes when i can play ALL it's games on the PC faster, better, stronger AND FREE online? now if you'll excuse me ima go spend $3k upgrading my pc to a
ryzen 1800x, asus crosshair VI hero, evga 1080 ti ftw3, Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4 2666MHz ram and watch it SHIT ALL over the ROBOT 1-X! it's called having a great job and buying wat eva da fuk i want :creep:
Geez, can people seriously not take a joke on this forum? I've had 3-4 people responding saying I'm an idiot pretty much.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wasnt the same said about the PS3 chip when it first came out that it was the most powerful one at the time and for its size and why people were using multiple ps3 consoles running linux as servers, which claims part of the controversy when sony removed it.

which was always a ? to me because claims of military using them seemed questionable but if true then they wouldnt be using them as a gaming console so wouldnt need to update the console firmware.

TheTechGenius

</Web Dev>
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a reason for that. Microsoft has a contract with the hardware manufactures, like AMD, so they are getting the parts much much cheaper then retail price, therefore they can sell the console much cheaper. Besides, most of the time they sell consoles cheaper then they cost and actually take a loss on the profits. Because the 1st party games and Xbox Live subscription make up the difference.

They know damn well if they sell it any higher then what they are, they won't sell many consoles at all.

The PC market is different, Nvidia can sell a high end graphics card for $700, and people will buy it no matter what, because PC gaming is not cheap, we spend thousands of dollars on PC gaming. Well most of us or some of us any way.

If Microsoft would buy their parts retail, to build their consoles, then they would have to sell the consoles for double of what they are now.

You also have to understand, The price of the OS should not be included when your building a PC that is better then an Xbox one. Because Microsoft has their own OS.

And if your talking about price to performance, you can build a PC for about $700 that will out perform the Xbox one probably by double the performance.

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the obvious answer to that is this. The console is still much weaker than your average PC gamer's PC, and has much less utility.

This thing is still completely locked down, and games will never drop in price like PC games do.
I was just thinking this. I mean the XB1X's graphics card is closer in power to a GTX 1060 or so I've heard. Cheapest 1060 on Newegg's about 220.

I think another big thing is despite all the 'high numbers' on a console, their actual output is roughly 2/3rds of what they would be on a legit market release: like a 12GB GRAM Card would be closer to a 8 GB GRAM card in power.

Reactions: StarTrekVoyager

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
As much hope as I have for this system? It's going to be underpowered in comparison to what PC gaming can do. Over the next few years, games will slowly degrade just to be playable at the 4k it offers. Also, it's still just a console. $500 to just play games and have 4k video playback? Eh. I may be picking it up if the Ui isn't as sluggish.

jinzokami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what's the point of an optical drive on a gaming PC, anyway? you could've knocked the price down $130 if that boondoggle weren't there.

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Meh, seems like there selling at a loss to try and sway customers from the old Xbox one/ attract new customers

But I guess a PC racer or whatnot would just say it's simply predatory pricing, and that a good gaming PC wouldn't be able to be created for that price, and let's not forget the fact that companies would get these parts for WAY cheaper then what we pay for the same parts anyway.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

what's the point of an optical drive on a gaming PC, anyway? you could've knocked the price down $130 if that boondoggle weren't there.

Actually, not including it would've made the price inaccurate. The point of this was to try and build a PC that either met or surpassed the Xbox specs for <=$500

By NOT including a 4k blu-ray drive then the xb1x would have immediately won by default, because it's optical drive surpassed your PC's drive

But don't get me wrong, I'm not calling you stupid or anything like that, because what your thinking of is more economical, which is good because most of gamers prefer to download games anyway.

Last edited by Sketchy1,

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, not including it would've made the price inaccurate. The point of this was to try and build a PC that either met or surpassed the Xbox specs for <=$500

By NOT including a 4k blu-ray drive then the xb1x would have immediately won by default, because it's optical drive surpassed your PC's drive

But don't get me wrong, I'm not calling you stupid or anything like that, because what your thinking of is more economical, which is good because most of gamers prefer to download games anyway.
The exercise is making a gaming PC to compete with the XBOX. Optical drive is not needed to compete on that front.

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

View attachment 90400

(...)

XB1X specs:
CPU: Custom AMD 8-core @ 2.3 GHz
GPU: Custom AMD chip @ 6.0 teraflops
RAM: 12 GB GDDR5
HDD: 1 TB
OPT: 4K Blu-ray drive

PCWorld's attempt #1
With 8GB DDR3 for a total cost of $652
View attachment 90401
I feel like they could have cut down costs with a 1050Ti (which goes around $130 and pretty much runs everything at 1080p@~~60fps), smaller PSU due to the lower consumption on the 1050ti and use Windows 10 unactivated, which brings that to close to $490. Being a on a budget I'd be pretty happy with that lol.

Reactions: StarTrekVoyager

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The exercise is making a gaming PC to compete with the XBOX. Optical drive is not needed to compete on that front.

Op, first sentence:

"In an attempt to create a custom built computer with specifications matching exactly those of the newly revealed Xbox One X"

Not including the drive wouldn't be it's exact specs :)

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Op, first sentence:

"In an attempt to create a custom built computer with specifications matching exactly those of the newly revealed Xbox One X"

Not including the drive wouldn't be it's exact specs :)
Also in the first sentence:
"for the first time in the history of gaming, a console may be more powerful than a custom built computer of the same price tag at the time of its release!"
If you're checking if the console is more powerful than a custom PC can be built at the same price-point, then matching exact specifications is not the name of the game. It's whether or not a more powerful PC can be built for that same price-tag. A Blu Ray drive does not contribute to the power of a PC. Just as, say, having the Kinect has no bearing on the power of a PC. It may have been included in the XBone, but if one were to attempt to prove the XBone is more powerful than a custom PC of the same price, one would not be expected to include it into the pricetag of the PC as the Kinect is irrelevant to its power.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.